You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Zonal Marking and Sky

Antynwa

Apparently after the Stoke-Man Utd game they were saying how they really went for it when Stoke went down to 10 men compared to us settling for what we had got against Arsenal - and that was the difference between the two managers.

Because Stoke are as good as Arsenal, obviously.:whistle:

Don't usually get reeled in by that sort of shite , but that annoyed me so much last weekend.

I had just got over it , and then some wassock called Alan McKinlay repeated it as if it was the fucking gospel in the Daily Mirror.

If your and my first thought is to compare the respective talents of Stoke

& Arsenal , you might hope that it would occur to these overpaid idiots.

And breathe

It doesn't, as I said, it just doesn't make sense to me, I respect his/their views on rotation, but as for Zonal Marking.

It's as if Common Sense just went out the window on that one, yes it was suspect when it first 'came in', but now it's quite clearly a good system to use.

Yes it does have it's faults, but it works well enough to ensure Pepe keeps the most clean sheets in the league season in, season out.[/QUOTE]

Don't know why but I just read that in Mr Miyagi from Karate Kid's voice! Waxa on, Waxa off!

Don't worry about it mate, I'm waiting for them to start on the Chavs, two very winnable games away from home for "the team with the best away record this season" and they could only manage draws.

As has been mentioned already that was only our second goal conceded from a set play using zonal marking. I presume as everyone else uses man for man that means every other goal conceded in the league from set plays is down to the man for man system.But we get the shit:wallbutt:.Makes no sense at all.If we win the league Keys hairy head will explode.:yes:

Don't usually get reeled in by that sort of shite , but that annoyed me so much last weekend.

I had just got over it , and then some wassock called Alan McKinlay repeated it as if it was the fucking gospel in the Daily Mirror.

If your and my first thought is to compare the respective talents of Stoke

& Arsenal , you might hope that it would occur to these overpaid idiots.

And breathe

Indeed! A better comparison would have been the Man City 2nd half, when we really went for it once they went down to 10 men, but that wouldn't fit their agenda now would it?

Guest davelfc
When a goal is conceded and the defence are using man to man, the individual gets the blame. When Liverpool concede a goal using zonal defence, Rafa gets blamed.

Fixed it for you

If you watch the Newcastle goal there really wasnt a lot we did wrong, but the delivery was almost perfect. Sometimes if the delivery is good enough it doesn't matter what system you use.

The ball just cleared the man at the near post but it was the perfect height so Carragher who was marking the zone where the goal was scored couldn't get his head on the ball without going through the player in front of him. Anyone thats played football in defence knows sometimes when a ball is played to the guy your marking at the perfect height theres nothing you can do to win the header.

I guess in that situation you just have to hope the guys header isn't as good as it was yesterday, but if the delivery is spot on it doesn't matter what system you use. As somebody else said Newcastle went man to man and we could have scored 5 or 6 from corners.

I worry more about the lack of people inside the posts. I have noticed a lot of clubs have started doing this & it surprises me.

Surely a guy of under 5 foot 9 or so is not going to get many clearing headers from corners , so I feel they are more useful inside the posts.

Chelsea came a cropper with this yesterday & Newcastle would have twice if they hadn't covered.

I know there is a worry about keeping people onside if they are on the line and slow out , but I feel more comfortable with them there.

Edgar was only the second opposition player to score from a corner against us today. No doubt Kamara will be beside himself tommorow picking apart the zonal marking system. It's all getting a bit boring now. One week when Man City were playing Wigan and Wigan conceded from a set piece, Gray said that they had just switched to zonal marking for that set piece and paid the price.

They're never going to let inconvenient facts like that - or the fact that we've kept most Premiership clean sheets for three consecutive seasons - deter them from the line they've already decided to take.

It annoys me that these nobheads get paid.