You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Free Michael Now!

Michael Shields is innocent, found guilty by a Judicial System that has no hint of the ideas of Justice and Fairness in its processes, and remains incarcerated in the UK, having been transferred from his Bulgarian Jail on payment of the £90,000 compensation to the victim of a terrible crime.

But Michael is a victim too. A victim of a miscarriage of justice. Arrested and forced to wear a t shirt he hadn’t been wearing that night for an identity parade. Handcuffed to a radiator, just yards away from passing witnesses. Having his head forcibly shaved to make him look more like the stereotypical “thug”. Michael was found guilty and despite many eye witness accounts, and a signed confession from another man, Michael remained locked up. He was transferred to the UK after the compensation was paid, following donations and support from Michael’s family and friends and members of the public, many of them Liverpool fans aware it could easily have been them.

Throughout all this, the UK government have done little to support Michael. Despite Bulgaria’s insistence that he does have the power to do so, Jack Straw claims he is unable to free Michael. So the family have taken the next step. On Thursday 4th December, Michael’s legal team and his family will hear the High Court in London carry out a Judicial Review of Jack Straw’s decision to refuse a pardon for Michael.

Ahead of the Judicial Review, Spirit Of Shankly, the Liverpool Supporters’ Union, will be helping the fight to have Michael, our member number 1, freed. We will be supporting the family in this continuing fight. A number of initiatives have been planned in the run up to 4th December, and what will hopefully be a decision that finally sees Michael brought back home to his family.

On Tuesday 25th November 2008, a coach filled with mothers who empathise with Maria Shields, Michael's mother, will set off for London where a press conference will be chaired by Louise Ellman, MP. Maria Shields will then hand in a letter for Sarah Brown, the Prime Minister's wife, at 10 Downing Street asking her to support the campaign to free Michael. This will be followed by a demonstration outside the Ministry of Justice at 11 am. Any mothers wishing to take part should email admin@spiritofshankly.com to register their interest, although places are limited.

A delegation from the Shields' family and Spirit Of Shankly will go to Blackburn to raise the issue of Michael's case in Jack Straw's constituency, and draw on more support.

On Monday 1st December at the West Ham United game, this is the opportunity for all of us, to stand with Michael, and his family, in their bid to have him freed. A banner will be held up at the front of the Kop, saying Free Michael Now, during You’ll Never Walk Alone. After this has finished, fans on the Kop will be asked to hold the mosaic up ‘Free Michael Now’, until the 3rd Minute of the game, whilst chanting “Free Michael Now”. The 3 minutes is symbolic, a minute for each of the years Michael has spent locked up. The players will also be visually showing their support for the campaign.

SOS are looking for volunteers to help set this up the mosiac in the afternoon before the game, please email admin@spiritofshankly.com if you are able to help.

On Thursday 4th December 2008 when the Judicial Review takes place, Michael’s family and supporters will travel to the High Court in London, for what we all hope will be a landmark decision that will see Michael rightfully freed.

There are also other ways to get involved. Sign up to the Free Michael Shields group on Facebook (Login | Facebook ... 089&ref=ts) and show your support or contact your local MP to highlight the case to them (UK Parliament - Find Your MP).

Spare a few minutes for a young lad who has lost three years of his life.

Free Michael Now!

The Shields Family & Spirit Of Shankly

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he was treated post-arrest the way described above, especially with regard to being shaved and chained in view of witnesses, his conviction would never have happened in this country.

However, before I could decide he is innocent I would need to know what evidence there is to support that he is indeed innocent, and not just base his innocence on that his rights (by our standards) were breached.

If he was treated post-arrest the way described above, especially with regard to being shaved and chained in view of witnesses, his conviction would never have happened in this country.

However, before I could decide he is innocent I would need to know what evidence there is to support that he is indeed innocent, and not just base his innocence on that his rights (by our standards) were breached.

You seem to be regular on this site and you haven't heard the evidence in support of the INNOCENT lad. Someone else admitted the crime later to retract the statement, he was then named in parliament along with two other people by an MP. Numerous spots on the local and national news/papers.

By the christ lad I hope you don't need our help in future if ever you or your's get into trouble.

Try the Liverpool Echo website for their FREE MICHAEL campaign.

Chap I think you need to read before you reply because apologies will be required....

It's totally cringeworthy that that Shields is member #1 of SOS, and they spend so much time on his 'cause', holding him up as a sort of badge of honour.

This 'he was forced to shave his hair' business just doesn't make sense, as the description of the assailant was of a lad with fair hair, so then why would the police insist that Sheilds romove something that would cause him to look less like the described culprit??????

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
This is an issue that I don't feel was in SOS's remit. I am not comfortable with a group of which I am a member giving unconditional support to a case I have my doubts about.

Fair comment

I personally feel Shields is innocent but I'm not sure about this campaign. I can imagine it puts some members with doubts about Shields' innocence in a very awkward position.

Yeah I guess that's my point. I personally feel his trial is unsound. I don't know whether he is innocent or guilty. But that is my personal opinion. Others' opinions may differ. Not sure it's SOS's place to be getting involved in this.

Aims

Constant Aims

* To represent the best interests of supporters of Liverpool Football Club.

* To hold whoever owns the football club to account.

Short Term Aims

* To create long lasting relationships with all aspects of Liverpool FCs supporting community.

* To improve the quality of service for Liverpool FCs supporters.

* To improve the standard and value of travel arrangements for Liverpool FCs supporters.

Medium Term Aims

* To work with any relevant agencies to improve the area of Anfield.

* To build links with grassroots supporter groups.

Long Term Aim

* To bring about supporter representation at board room level.

Ultimate Aim

* Supporter ownership of Liverpool Football Club.

---

Some could argue this fits into the first aim, but where do you draw the line?

I don't think S.O.S should be getting involved for the reasons stated by Cath and Faustus.

He may well be innocent, his trial may not have been fair, and if that's the case then everyone would be sympathetic. But none of us know. And I don't think it's right for a group wanting to be taken so seriously to get involved in something which is far from clear cut and something which really shouldn't be a priority, it kind of dilutes what they're trying to achieve.

There's enough local support for Shields already and I think LFC as a whole have gone above and beyond already in supporting this.

You seem to be regular on this site and you haven't heard the evidence in support of the INNOCENT lad. Someone else admitted the crime later to retract the statement, he was then named in parliament along with two other people by an MP. Numerous spots on the local and national news/papers.

By the christ lad I hope you don't need our help in future if ever you or your's get into trouble.

Try the Liverpool Echo website for their FREE MICHAEL campaign.

Chap I think you need to read before you reply because apologies will be required....

Woah there matey boy. Read my post again. Here it is...

There's nothing unreasonable in there whatsoever. In fact, it's common sense.

If he is innocent then I hope his ordeal ends soon. But as I don't KNOW that he's innocent and - unless you witnessed the incident - neither do you, I think your outburst is perhaps a tad out of order.

Maybe I haven't read all that is available, but then I haven't felt the strong desire to, to be honest. What I do think though is that someone else admitting to the murder when they get back home sounds, shall we say, 'odd', given that he could easily have been extradited to stand trial. Doubly odd when he a short time later retracts it.

This bloke's 'confession, does not alter one iota the evidence that was presented against Shields because this fellow was not involved in any way in the trial.

I'm willing to be open-minded about it but I'm not going to believe he's innocent just because Sos say I should. If I were on the Kop during that game I would not be holding up my piece of the mosaic.

On Monday 1st December at the West Ham United game, this is the opportunity for all of us, to stand with Michael, and his family, in their bid to have him freed. A banner will be held up at the front of the Kop, saying Free Michael Now, during You’ll Never Walk Alone. After this has finished, fans on the Kop will be asked to hold the mosaic up ‘Free Michael Now’, until the 3rd Minute of the game, whilst chanting “Free Michael Now”. The 3 minutes is symbolic, a minute for each of the years Michael has spent locked up. The players will also be visually showing their support for the campaign.

SOS are looking for volunteers to help set this up the mosiac in the afternoon before the game, please email

Jesus, i didn't even see this bit the first time around as i didn't read all of it. Unbelievable.

WELL DONE SOS and once again to all the knockers hope youse are never in the same situation and need assistance!

Wether he is guilty or not the fact is Michael never got a fair trial, if he would have been a holiday maker Michael would have been freed by now! The goverment would have bent over backwards.

Let him be tried in a british court using all the documentation, evidence that the bulgarians used and any court in the land with what has come to light would throw it out.

W

Wether he is guilty or not the fact is Michael never got a fair trial...

If that bit is correct then fuck him and I hope he rots in jail, fair trial or not.

In this country victims don't get a fair trial. The court system is more a game of cat and mouse than a search for the truth. There's nothing fair or just about a guilty person getting off on a technicality.