You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

No, he would be average at what he does in Spain and Italy as well. So, you would get fans who overestimate his contribution because he seems like a lovely guy, and those who would see him for what he is.

You wouldn't know that.

I have never confused the fact that he's a lovely guy with his contribution to the tackles, distribution and interceptions he provides to the team on the field when no-one else is fulfilling that role. Therefore, I have never overestimated his ability. I think it's a bit damning to assume that fans simultaneously overstate and confuse Lucas' ability on the field with his personality off it. 

It's a riposte to radjas remark that the average fan somehow can't understand the sort of role that Lucas is trying to fulfil.

Yeah that sort of comment is infuriating. I rate him a lot higher than you do but it doesn't mean that I have some deeper view on the game than you. It's just a difference of opinion.

Yep, it's the sort of thing that gets my goat. I don't care whether people think Lucas (or any other player) is the best thing since sliced bread, after all it's an opinion on a footballer. The other bug is when people say you must ''hate' the player. It's infantile. Lucas is one of the few players that (given the little about what we actually know about them) seems like a genuinely likeable guy.

Yep. He would have been the difference alright.

Well he would have actually tried to tackle that's for sure. Not sure he'd have done much more going forward than Henderson but I believe he'd have put Cabaye on the ground at the least before he got that shot off.

I do think he'd be looked at in higher esteem in Spain or Italy though, simply because he'd get more time on the ball and thus would offer more going forward more often. He's shown the ability to make great passes just not the ability to consistently do it despite the pressure on him. I thought he'd get there but with the injuries seeming to have taken their toll, at this point he probably is what he's going to be. Obviously I hope I'm wrong though.

Not sure why some people have an obsession with him going forward and creating. His role is not that, his there to protect the defence, break down attacks, harass, pressure close down opposition and recycle possession, his role is not that of an attacker!

The amount of space Cabaye had for his goal was criminal and I think Lucas would of at least tried to close him down, not sure where either Hendo or Gerrard where, easy to blame Mignolet or the defence for that but the position Cabaye scored from the midfield should have offered protection. No one seemed to read what Cabaye was going to do  and I think something Lucas provides the team is his intelligence in reading the game.

• Upvote 2

Its getting embarrassing how shit midfielders can just run through ours and opposition players can just shoot at will without being closed down, including when Lucas plays.

The dm position is a gaping gap that needs to be filled, its infuriating watching as a fan when it seems it should be easy for a club of our size to find a solution.

We always seem to have one position clearly needing to filled but don't do it, dominant CB under Evans, winger under gh, winger and towards the end striker for rafa and now the dm under Rodgers.I just hope we sort something in Jan, how we cannot even have another defensive option to Lucas is unbelievable to me.

• Upvote 1

It's a riposte to radjas remark that the average fan somehow can't understand the sort of role that Lucas is trying to fulfil.

I did say English fans. On the same note, an average Spanish fan probably wouldn't be able to see what all the fuss is about in relation to Wanyama, Momo Sissoko, David Batty, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Well he would have actually tried to tackle that's for sure. Not sure he'd have done much more going forward than Henderson but I believe he'd have put Cabaye on the ground at the least before he got that shot off.

I do think he'd be looked at in higher esteem in Spain or Italy though, simply because he'd get more time on the ball and thus would offer more going forward more often. He's shown the ability to make great passes just not the ability to consistently do it despite the pressure on him. I thought he'd get there but with the injuries seeming to have taken their toll, at this point he probably is what he's going to be. Obviously I hope I'm wrong though.

Lucas' passing ability is underrated. He does the simple passes well.. He doesn't just return it where it comes from. Not every midfielder needs to ping the ball 50 yards every 5 minutes. Sergio Busquets does the same role for Barcelona. He is obviously better, but if you judge a defensive midfielder on his ability to make late runs, or slide through balls in, then I'm afraid you're missing the point.

Lucas' passing ability is underrated. He does the simple passes well.. He doesn't just return it where it comes from. Not every midfielder needs to ping the ball 50 yards every 5 minutes. Sergio Busquets does the same role for Barcelona. He is obviously better, but if you judge a defensive midfielder on his ability to make late runs, or slide through balls in, then I'm afraid you're missing the point.

I think you and Jonjo have misunderstood me. I rate Lucas very highly, I just think the thing he could (and that I personally thought he would) add to his game is the consistent ability to do those things I mentioned in my previous post. I've seen Lucas play long passes Stevie and Alonso would be proud of, and early on under Rafa he would make great runs that know one would pick out despite being deployed in a defensive role. His ability to do the latter is at question due to his injury history, but I do think he can develop still the ability to consistently do the former (effectively becoming the "new Alonso" arguably with a bit more defensive qualities) but for whatever reason he hasn't.

Also I think if we swapped him and Busquets people would think Lucas is better. I think they're very similar players but one plays in a team with world class players everywhere (and a team pressing mentality) and the other plays in a team with a lot of potential (without said mentality, at least so far this season) but only two players* who are at that level (Gerrard and Suarez) and a couple that are young and on the cusp of it (Sturridge and Coutinho).

* Before this season I'd have included Agger as world class but he's not been his usual self when played this campaign. Skrtel seems to have recaptured his form from his one and half seasons under Dalglish and on his day he's world class so could be included.

• Upvote 1