You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Had a few listens through to Dream Theater yesterday and today as sometimes I am not in the mood for them and hadn't been able to give it a proper listen.

Particularly like Build Me Up, Break Me Down and Bridges in the Sky. Don't think the album is one of their best but it's still quality and well worth a listen probably something to do with the bar being so high. Taking a little getting used to the drum sound as it's so different to the way Portnoy was obviously mixing it, I'm sure it will grow with more listening time.

Wasn't mega impressed with Falling Into Infinity the first time I listened to that but it's probably my favourite DT album now (yes I know that puts me very much in the minority with their stuff).

Had a few listens through to Dream Theater yesterday and today as sometimes I am not in the mood for them and hadn't been able to give it a proper listen.

Particularly like Build Me Up, Break Me Down and Bridges in the Sky. Don't think the album is one of their best but it's still quality and well worth a listen probably something to do with the bar being so high. Taking a little getting used to the drum sound as it's so different to the way Portnoy was obviously mixing it, I'm sure it will grow with more listening time.

Wasn't mega impressed with Falling Into Infinity the first time I listened to that but it's probably my favourite DT album now (yes I know that puts me very much in the minority with their stuff).

Falling into infinity was great but it was more commercial than anything they've ever done, still has some great songs though.

Good point about the drums, I always got the impression that Portnoy was cranking it up a little when the other guys weren't looking as they used to really stick out of the mix.

I think Bridges in the Sky and particularly Breaking All Illusions are amongst the best stuff they've ever written and the songs are more consistently good compared to the last few releases where there have been maybe 2 or 3 standout moments in each song for me.

The thing that struck me most was how they seemed to concentrate on being progressive rather than too 'metal' and worked really hard to make the technical bits fit in with the feel of the songs.

10/10

• 2 weeks later...

Review of my band if anyone is interested

Oceanis, Scare Tactics, Lazarus Syndrome & Mourning Glory - Liverpool 16th September |

Oceanis

Oceanis have been causing a major stir in Liverpool for some time now and I having seen them blow away the Snub Fest at the Masque in May I was looking forward to seeing them headline tonight.

A quick glance around the now crowded room told me that a lot of other people felt the same way as eager faces of all ages turned to the stage as the intro music began.

Trying to describe the music style of Oceanis is almost impossible. To compare them to any other band is a serious injustice as simply put, they are one-of-a-kind.

Vocalist Joe is one of the most animated frontmen ever and as the first song, "Of Flesh" gets underway he paces the stage like a caged tiger, gesturing wildly at the crowd and grinning like a madman when the audience go wild for him.

But this is not a one-man show, and the quality of the rest of the band makes sure that you never think differently.

The incredible aggression in the drumming from Dave firmly grabs you as the pulsating bassline from Craig refuses to let you go, and then the searing guitar riffs from Joe and Phil carry you kicking and screaming up to the growling vocals and blissful frenzy that is the music of Oceanis.

The band work well together, interacting during the songs with ease and appearing as though they have done this many times before, so it is a great surprise when they announce that this is guitarist Phil's first gig with them.

With seven songs after their intro music, the band should have had ample time to satisfy the audience, but by the end of it they were still screaming for more and where it not for the late hour and the venue closing the crowd would quite obviously have stayed to listen to more.

It's hard to pick out a best song from the set as they are all so good, but my personal favourite has to be the final song "Rise to Ruin" which has some wonderful rhythm changes and amazing moody guitars.

To say Oceanis are captivating is an understatement. I have seen a lot of music shows since we started Phoenix Rising and this is the first time I have outright forgotten to take notes because I have been so engrossed in the performance.

Miss them at your peril.

Set List:

Of Flesh

Prevalence

Sanctity of Sin

The Destroyer

Planets

Brotherhood

Rise From Ruin

Review of my band if anyone is interested

Oceanis, Scare Tactics, Lazarus Syndrome & Mourning Glory - Liverpool 16th September |

Oceanis

Oceanis have been causing a major stir in Liverpool for some time now and I having seen them blow away the Snub Fest at the Masque in May I was looking forward to seeing them headline tonight.

A quick glance around the now crowded room told me that a lot of other people felt the same way as eager faces of all ages turned to the stage as the intro music began.

Trying to describe the music style of Oceanis is almost impossible. To compare them to any other band is a serious injustice as simply put, they are one-of-a-kind.

Vocalist Joe is one of the most animated frontmen ever and as the first song, "Of Flesh" gets underway he paces the stage like a caged tiger, gesturing wildly at the crowd and grinning like a madman when the audience go wild for him.

But this is not a one-man show, and the quality of the rest of the band makes sure that you never think differently.

The incredible aggression in the drumming from Dave firmly grabs you as the pulsating bassline from Craig refuses to let you go, and then the searing guitar riffs from Joe and Phil carry you kicking and screaming up to the growling vocals and blissful frenzy that is the music of Oceanis.

The band work well together, interacting during the songs with ease and appearing as though they have done this many times before, so it is a great surprise when they announce that this is guitarist Phil's first gig with them.

With seven songs after their intro music, the band should have had ample time to satisfy the audience, but by the end of it they were still screaming for more and where it not for the late hour and the venue closing the crowd would quite obviously have stayed to listen to more.

It's hard to pick out a best song from the set as they are all so good, but my personal favourite has to be the final song "Rise to Ruin" which has some wonderful rhythm changes and amazing moody guitars.

To say Oceanis are captivating is an understatement. I have seen a lot of music shows since we started Phoenix Rising and this is the first time I have outright forgotten to take notes because I have been so engrossed in the performance.

Miss them at your peril.

Set List:

Of Flesh

Prevalence

Sanctity of Sin

The Destroyer

Planets

Brotherhood

Rise From Ruin

Glad its going well. Still planning on getting some of the metal heads from last place I worked to attend. Any of your tunes on youtube etc?

I'd like to know if I can hear your lyrics or not. Generally I listen to metal which is like..

RAWWWWWRGGGHHHHHHHHFUUUUHHHHHFUCCCKKKKRUUUGHHH

[YOUTUBE]dn8vJfSd_SA[/YOUTUBE]

Don't mind stuff where I can hear the lyrics though. I'm quite partial to tongue in cheek metal like Dragforce or Dethklok. If its fucking brutal, I'm on it like a tramp on chips.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got Thrt3en to listen to, as well as Evile's latest, Five Serpents Teeth.

I've acquired Slipknot's 10th anniversary edition of Iowa. So that'll be played over and over again.

Unto the Locust hasn't done anything for me yet, it's certainly no where near as good as The Blackening, in my humble opinion, but I'll need to listen to it a lot more before making my mind up fully. (Also, taking them in at Wembley Arena in December may help!).

Worship Music is outstanding, I love that album, especially Hymn 1, In The End, followed by The Giant. Fight 'em Till You Can't is an awesome track as well.

Unto the Locust hasn't done anything for me yet, it's certainly no where near as good as The Blackening, in my humble opinion, but I'll need to listen to it a lot more before making my mind up fully. (Also, taking them in at Wembley Arena in December may help!).

I'm the same with this, I really thought they were back to the days of Burn My Eyes and The More Things Change with Blackening, but Unto the Locust for me is poor. Can't put my finger on it but it just seems a bit thrown together, maybe it's because since the Blackening my taste in metal has changed a bit.

I just think compared to the new efforts from Mastodon, Textures, Chimaira etc Machine Head's new album doesn't cut the mustard.

On another note, Lamb of God's new album is out in January

I'm the same with this, I really thought they were back to the days of Burn My Eyes and The More Things Change with Blackening, but Unto the Locust for me is poor. Can't put my finger on it but it just seems a bit thrown together, maybe it's because since the Blackening my taste in metal has changed a bit.

I just think compared to the new efforts from Mastodon, Textures, Chimaira etc Machine Head's new album doesn't cut the mustard.

On another note, Lamb of God's new album is out in January

Can't wait for the new Lamb album.

ApuHezKI9P0

ipJAD3mIUD8

dp0mnXIDvuU