You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sunderland V Liverpool

Paco

I think Rafa should make a statement of intent by playing 442 with Gerrard and Alonso in midfield and Keane with Torres up front. I understand Plessis has been playin well but lets see a powerful experienced team kick off this campaign in style snd hopefully we can bang in the goals we couldn't get the other night.

-----------------------------------Reina---------------------------------

Arbeloa--------------Carragher-------------Agger----------------Dossena

Kuyt-----------------Gerrard---------------Alonso--------------Benayoun

---------------------------Torres------Keane---------------------------

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

.......................Reina.......................

Arbeloa.......Carragher...Agger......Dosenna

.................Alonso.......Gerrard.............

Kuyt....................Keane................Benayoun

.........................Torres............................

I think Rafa should make a statement of intent by playing 442 with Gerrard and Alonso in midfield and Keane with Torres up front. I understand Plessis has been playin well but lets see a powerful experienced team kick off this campaign in style snd hopefully we can bang in the goals we couldn't get the other night.

Kuyt-----------------Gerrard---------------Alonso--------------Benayoun

---------------------------Torres------Keane--------------------------

-

Thats the team he will go with,the only problem is kuyt on the wing,otherwise that should be good enough to beat Sunderland.

.......................Reina.......................

Arbeloa.......Carragher...Agger......Dosenna

.................Alonso.......Gerrard.............

Kuyt....................Keane................Benayoun

.........................Torres............................

thats what I would go with mate.The thought of Kuyt and Yosi as out and wingers in a 4-4-2 gives me nightmares

This is going to be an absolute bitch of a game I reckon. I wouldn't want to risk a 4-4-2 to be honest.

Reina

Arbeloa Carragher Agger Dossena

Alonso Spearing

Keane Gerrard Benayoun

Torres

The reason I've gone for Spearing is because he's a battler; I think we missed the bite of Mascherano in the game against Standard- we missed his energy and his sheer bloody-mindedness, the way he his constantly snapping at heels, never giving the opposition a minutes peace. I think from what I've seen of Spearing when he isn't in possession, he's similar. Plessis is good on the ball and likes a tackle, no question, but he is a casual player, very easy going and I feel that with Alonso in the side, we need a battler alongside him. I'd love to see Spearing start on Saturday, but I can't see it.

First 11 picks itself for this one- cannot see Rafa starting with Spearing or Plessis away in the prem. Bench a little light for attacking options so we'll struggle if Benni and Dirk don't get going.

Cannot see Sunderland scoring so we'll win 2-0 in the end. Alonso to score with the 2nd a counter attack at the end- maybe a goal for substitute Ngog?

i agree with that teeam and the formation 4231.

last game demonstrated how we are like with those two on the wing, but hopefully they will both have a better game tomorrow. a more powerful midfield with alonso and gerrard will also help.

i actually have a bit of hope for yossi tomorrow, against the shite teams he sometimes strikes with a bit of magic to unluck their defence. will be interesting to see keane against a premiership side as well.. i say we draw though, 1-1.

First 11 picks itself for this one- cannot see Rafa starting with Spearing or Plessis away in the prem. Bench a little light for attacking options so we'll struggle if Benni and Dirk don't get going.

Cannot see Sunderland scoring so we'll win 2-0 in the end. Alonso to score with the 2nd a counter attack at the end- maybe a goal for substitute Ngog?

Arsenal and Birmingham away?

If you reckon those games don't count(shadow team because of CL semi), surely the fact that he starts Plessis in away CL qualifier (very important), would suggest that Rafa has no qualms about playing Plessis away in the Prem. Not that I think he should play Plessis, I would go with:

Same back four

Alonso Spearing

Keane Gerrard Benayoun

Torres

---------------------Alonso----------Spearing----------------------------

----------Gerrard---------------Keane--------------Benayoun--------------

---------------------------Torres---------------------------------

It would be nice if we settled on a formation, whatever that may be, pretty early in the season

Arsenal and Birmingham away?

If you reckon those games don't count(shadow team because of CL semi), surely the fact that he starts Plessis in away CL qualifier (very important), would suggest that Rafa has no qualms about playing Plessis away in the Prem. Not that I think he should play Plessis, I would go with:

Same back four

Alonso Spearing

Keane Gerrard Benayoun

Torres

Gerrard was injured and unable to start in the CL qualifier forcing Rafa to use Plessis. Cannot see starting him against Sunderland and drop Benni or Dirk.

I reckon Pennant should start. There, I said it!

I have to agree. As much as I don't like Pennant, if we're going to play 4-4-2 then having a centre foward on one wing and a second striker on the other doesn't fill me with hope. Kuyt will do plenty of running but I just dont see him as an attacking threat on the wing.

I'd like to see this...

------------Pepe------------

Arbeloa--Carra--Agger--Dosser

--Pennant--Alonso-Yossi-----

---------Gerrard------------

----Keane -- Torres---------

i think pennant might play for some reason, he may not be the best but he's the best in his position that we have (an out and out right winger) if rafa wants to play 4-4-2 then i think he has to play pennant.

I think he is a light weight, keane will have all his players fired up and after the shit midweek he will adopt the same approach and get his players all over us like a bad rash. I think its horses for courses for this one and kuyt gets my vote for the right flank, he is also good at doubling up with the full back. I am even worried if yossi plays as he gets bundled off the ball easily too. I think Gerrard will have to do one of his all over the park performances( havent seen one for a while actually)