You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Elite

Quite fancied it as an addition to the gym but also for the mental shit to try and tackle the anxiety. Thought a bit about Aikido but the nearest one is a bit of a hike. I like the philosophy behind it- non attacking- but reckon it would just involve loads of birds and small blokes throwing me around just to prove a point because I'm big. The other alternative I've looked at is wing chun but it's a dear do, 9 quid a lesson.

I went to look at a lot of these in my early 20s and what put me off was the size and nature of the classes. The head honcho would spend all his time with the black belts getting them ready for comps and what not- understandably perhaps - and as a newb you'd get about 40 seconds of their time "keep punching" or some shit.

Would take an absolute age to get any good at that rate I reckon.

I've been doing Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu for about 9 months and loving it. Got my arse kicked pretty regularly at first but it's got to the stage where I'm starting to occasionally get the better of some bigger/stronger dudes, lost a fair bit of weight too.

Anybody else do BJJ?

Not to be confused with a BJ, although I am open to the idea if you're pretty enough.

Is that like normal Jiu-Jitsu, but everyone has got a really close shave all over? 

Quite fancied it as an addition to the gym but also for the mental shit to try and tackle the anxiety. Thought a bit about Aikido but the nearest one is a bit of a hike. I like the philosophy behind it- non attacking- but reckon it would just involve loads of birds and small blokes throwing me around just to prove a point because I'm big. The other alternative I've looked at is wing chun but it's a dear do, 9 quid a lesson.

I went to look at a lot of these in my early 20s and what put me off was the size and nature of the classes. The head honcho would spend all his time with the black belts getting them ready for comps and what not- understandably perhaps - and as a newb you'd get about 40 seconds of their time "keep punching" or some shit.

I found that in BJJ the classes have a few,aound 20 in the classes i did but the people are so willing to help the new guy. Its not like kickboxing/boxing where is a bit more macho with some people taking advantage of the newbie(not all)/

The other reason i stopped was a bit of anxiety,whenever someone had me on my back and put pressure on my chest my inability to breath panicked the fuck out of me. Took me right back to being in hospital where i would have loads of episodes of not being able to catch a breath and without having any ability to move anything more than my hands felt i was going to die

I did aikido for a couple of years, and it's worth trying. The good thing is there are different types of it, so some focus on weapons more, and others the whole energy thing. It's not built around sparring, so you shouldn't have any problems with people trying to prove a point, it's more centred around the relationship between the person performing the move and the one receiving it, you're supposed to work together. I found it all very polite and interesting, as the moves are broken down into parts, and you can see where the locks and pins come from, and at what stage the pressure is applied.

Also, because it's not based around competitive sparring you shouldn't have a teacher who only deals with people looking to do competitions. 

I did aikido for a couple of years, and it's worth trying. The good thing is there are different types of it, so some focus on weapons more, and others the whole energy thing. It's not built around sparring, so you shouldn't have any problems with people trying to prove a point, it's more centred around the relationship between the person performing the move and the one receiving it, you're supposed to work together. I found it all very polite and interesting, as the moves are broken down into parts, and you can see where the locks and pins come from, and at what stage the pressure is applied.

Also, because it's not based around competitive sparring you shouldn't have a teacher who only deals with people looking to do competitions.

Nice one, yeah that's what I fancied about it. What I'd be looking to get from something like this is more exercise and mental discipline rather than learning to knock shit out of people, Aikido sounds the best for that. There's one in Crosby I think and one in town.

Kendo sounded alright too, they do that at IM marsh in aigburth but only open the books at certain times of year.

What stopped you doing the Aikido if you don't mind me asking?

Nice one, yeah that's what I fancied about it. What I'd be looking to get from something like this is more exercise and mental discipline rather than learning to knock shit out of people, Aikido sounds the best for that. There's one in Crosby I think and one in town.

Kendo sounded alright too, they do that at IM marsh in aigburth but only open the books at certain times of year.

What stopped you doing the Aikido if you don't mind me asking?

I only stopped because the classes closed down. It was a bit of a rural one in the middle of nowhere, and it ended up with just me and the teacher, so he knocked it on the head. I've since moved to an area with more classes, and I keep meaning to get back into it, but they're a different type of Aikido to the one I did. I was learning Iwama, which uses weapons from the off to teach you the movements. I'd love to give Kendo a go, or perhaps even Iaido if there was ever any classes near me.

I've got a Kali group up the road though, so I figured I'd give that a try, and if I don't get on with it I'll go back to Aikido.