You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

WILL JAY SPEARING MAKE THE GRADE AT LIVERPOOL

Walton Park

I think he will always be a back up at best but I'm still not convinced by Adam just yet. Adam has a nice touch and an eye for goal but his lack of mobility is a real concern for me longer term.

Spearing,while nowhere near Adams skill level is a lot more mobile and much better off the ball than Adam is.

Shame they cant be rolled into one player.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he will always be a back up at best but I'm still not convinced by Adam just yet. Adam has a nice touch and an eye for goal but his lack of mobility is a real concern for me longer term.

Spearing,while nowhere near Adams skill level is a lot more mobile and much better off the ball than Adam is.

Shame they cant be rolled into one player.

I was going to reply to Johnny's post regarding Adam and read this and it pretty much says what I was going to say except that I think Adam's best games have come alongside Gerrard and I'd like to see Spearing given the opportunity to do the same. I think Jay's got a really good range of passing and if he's given a more advanced role, I think he'd show it more. The one thing Adam possess that Jay doesn't is an extremely accurate dead ball and in truth, if you were picking the side and there wasn't that much between them, then you'd probably have to pick Adam for that reason alone.

I don't think any of our central midfield is good enough

Lucas and Spearing are both hardworking, committed Defensive Midfielders but nothing special

Adam is a poor mans Alonso or even worse a poor mans Danny Murphy

Gerrard has obvious problems playing in centre Midfield otherwise Benitez and Capello would have played him there, he is much better as an attacking mid or second striker but thats where Suarez plays

If we play Adam and Gerrard together against a decent team they will murder us anyone with a little bit of pace and movement would show up their lack of postioning and especially Adam's lack of mobility.

I've also noticed Adam's lack of fitness he fades badly in the second half

I've said it previously, but of all the players, Spearing is the unluckiest this season. He and Lucas formed an effective partnership in the middle which almost got us into Europe after a dreadful start under owl face. I just don't get al lthese "he's ok but that's it" comments. You don't have to have world class players in every position, he is what he is and is effective at it. Bar Suarez i can't name one player we have signed who has put in more effective performances than Jay.

Guest SpiderLucas

I think he should be given a run in the side; Lucas isn't a creative midfielder nor is he a tough tackler.

So instead of having somebody who is half and half let’s just throw all the eggs in the basket marked "Spearing the fucking destroyer" I think he'd give our flair players more confidence in going forward from midfield.

I've said it previously, but of all the players, Spearing is the unluckiest this season. He and Lucas formed an effective partnership in the middle which almost got us into Europe after a dreadful start under owl face. I just don't get al lthese "he's ok but that's it" comments. You don't have to have world class players in every position, he is what he is and is effective at it. Bar Suarez i can't name one player we have signed who has put in more effective performances than Jay.

Enrique

Once again, people use the lack of Adam last night as a stick to beat him with.

Adam pisses over Lucas, literally, pisses.

I'd love to see Adam and Spearing given 3 games in a row together. Last night was a nonsense for Lucas, once again. He runs. That's the sum total of his participation in most games. It was funny when Lucas was being given the run-around by one of the Stoke drones, and then Speo came out of nowhere and battered him and took the ball.

He is as good as I think he will ever get, and unfortunately he isn't quite good enough. Just because Adam isn't doesn't make Spearing good enough. He is almost 24, and people want to give him time, yet feel perfectly free to right off Shelvey and Henderson who are younger and have had less time.

Obviously I haven't counted in the 'Scouse Factor' which means he is automatically rated highly.

I'd love to see Adam and Spearing given 3 games in a row together. Last night was a nonsense for Lucas, once again. He runs. That's the sum total of his participation in most games. It was funny when Lucas was being given the run-around by one of the Stoke drones, and then Speo came out of nowhere and battered him and took the ball.

Never gonna happen. LUcas, adam, gerrard and henderson are all ahead of spearing and always will be.

He can be our Darren Fletcher, and that's not a bad thing, you need local homegrown players to pad out the squad, and are more than willing to put in a shift when needed.

That's a fair comment but I'd like to aim for a higher quality of back up players too.

This is probably the main reason why a strong academy system is essential for long term success.

Lucas was not only insrtrumental in creating the most clear cut chance we had on the night, but he effectively (along with Spearing) controlled the midfield, breaking up Stoke play, keeping hold of the ball, and moving the ball forward into attcking positions. The incident you refer to at the end of your, quite frankly, idiotic post, saw Lucas effectively forcing the Stoke player sideways to the touchline and into a non-dangerous area, enabling Spearing to come in on the blindside and make the tackle. The Stoke player ended up in touch and on his arse, not as a result of the tackle, but as a result of Lucas allowing a couple of seconds to pass to ensure the ref knew we had control of the ball, then pushing him on his arse in touch.

Both players worked in tandem, and played well, the only dodgy moment being Jay giving a free-kick away in a silly position in the second half.

Having watched your initially slow, but recently rapid descent into idiocy, I'm afraid your posts can be likened to you shitting all over the floor, then picking up handfulls of the shit, flinging some of it at the walls and smearing the rest of it all over yourself.

And for the avoidance of doubt, the fact that many posters regard you as an idiot is not a badge of honour, it just means that people think you're covered in your own shit.

And with that, as your yapping adds nothing of any value, you can go on ignore.