You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

Carrie 6/10.

Got an extra point for the shower scene at the beginning. It had an 18 certificate but today it would only get a 15.

Daddys home 6.5/10.

Nothing special but it is worth a watch if theres nothing else on. Follows the same trodden path you would expect.

Ride Along 2 7/10.

Usual predictable film that follows the usual path you would expect but it does have some funny moments.

Ride Along 2 and Daddy's Home marked higher than Carrie. Each to their own I suppose.

I in all honesty didnt think it was anything special. I hadnt ever seen it before but if i had seen it when it first came out iam sure i would have scored it higher. I think the film hasnt aged well.

Suicide Squad - 6.8/10

I saw it slated in reviews before I watched it, and I saw an absolutely awful cam copy. These two facts may have affected my expectations and as such, my overall opinion of the film. I liked it though. It wasn't amazing but it was entertaining. It suffered from having so many characters and about 5 minutes to develop them all each. Bit of a wanky villain though.

Taxi Driver - 8.4/10

I haven't seen this in so long, that it made me realise I was so young when I watched it the first time around, I wasn't qualified to appreciate it. Excellent film. De Niro is excellent and it moves along at a perfect pace, building in the right moments.

Just been moving the boy's film education on tonight with Predator which I'm having as 10/10. I fucking love it. And here are some reasons why:

1. The dialogue is fucking boss. Sparse but also really memorable, it reveals character brilliantly and is also funny as fuck at times. A few favourites:

Mac (Bill Duke) to Dillon (Carl Weathers): "You're ghosting us motherfucker. I don't care who you are back in the world, you give our position away one more time, I'll bleed you. Got that?"

Blaine (Jesse Ventura), after everyone declines his offer of chewing tobacco: "You all are a bunch of slack-jawed faggots. This stuff right here will make you a God damn sexual tyrannosaurus. Just like me."

Blaine, after being told he's been shot: "I ain't got time to bleed."

Mac: "You got time to duck?"

Dutch, after the predator has killed one of his team: "Did you find Hawkins?"

Poncho: "I can't tell."

2. As shown above, the cast and character names are boss, suggesting the type of team they are: so tough and professional the military relaxes it's formalities for them. They are:

Dutch: Arnie - understated for him and better for it; this was maybe the last movie he did which wasn't a vehicle for him. As such it's maybe his best. I wonder whether he had a "no beat down" clause though. He suffers a right beating which we don't see properly as it's from the predator's PoV.

Mac - the magnificent, bald and whispering Bill Duke; the bit with him dry shaving and snapping his razor on his cheek is ridiculous and brilliant in equal measure.

Blaine - played by the MTV T-shirted Jesse Ventura. He's so over-the-top macho with his mini-gun, facial hair and hat it's ridiculous until the homosexual relationship with Mac is implied and then it becomes genius, especially for the time it was made in 1987.

Carl Weathers as the sly CIA man Dillon is great and even better in his redemption.

Billy's Native American mystical tracker character is boss for creating tension and even though Hawkins and Poncho are pretty one dimensional they still have their moments. I especially like Shane Black's shit gags as Hawkins.

3. The action and violence are great: brutal, professional and exciting - especially when they take out the base. The later switch in weapons and tactics from high tech to primitive somehow enhances rather than diminishes the action.

4. The music is superb, both the dramatic militaristic piece that bookends the film and the tense, "what-the-fuck-are-we-dealing-with?" percussion only stuff too.

5. The script has not an ounce of fat on it. It goes straight in and is all the better for it. Was it doctored by someone? Shane Black is in it so maybe he did some uncredited stuff. However it reminds me of both Walter Hill and Robert Towne in places. Either way, it's fucking boss. There's almost no exposition except action and the sparse dialogue. It should be a set text for modern day script writers.

6. The tension is realised in lots of ways. When they all go mad after Blaine is killed, you're shaken because they are. If even these super pros are worried then what the fuck are they facing? Anna's story of her village with the legend of the hot years when the men are slaughtered is chilling. Also, there's almost no dialogue in the final act which ratchets things up further. Even when Dutch is safe in the chopper at the end, he's shell-shocked.

7. Finally the predator is superbly presented. There is a very slow reveal of it and we learn its abilities/vulnerabilities over a long period. It makes Arnie seem small which is ace and the collection of trophies makes him seem really cold and sadistic despite hints of fairness and honour.

I could write about this forever but it's doing my head in typing on my phone. Suffice it to say, it's fucking awesome. Maybe the best hybrid film ever made, splicing war/action with SF. Great fucking film.

• Upvote 5

I think like most

Was he the only script doctor working on it? The dialogue is very him but some of the pacing seems very Walter Hill while Robert Towne can do both those things.

I think like most films of that ilk, it was subject to numerous rewrites after the original script was submitted.