You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Are you afraid of dying?

Thants

Well?  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be told that 'you'll never eat a steak again' or 'you'll never get on a plane again' or 'you'll never see another autumn' must be an absolute fucking nightmare.

Hmm, that remind me of a zen story.

One day while walking through the wilderness a man stumbled upon a vicious tiger. He ran but soon came to the edge of a high cliff. Desperate to save himself, he climbed down a vine and dangled over the fatal precipice. As he hung there, two mice appeared from a hole in the cliff and began gnawing on the vine. Suddenly, he noticed on the vine a plump wild strawberry. He plucked it and popped it in his mouth. It was incredibly delicious!

It also depends on what you believe.

Mr RR, sorry to hear of your loss.

Above all I hope I can leave the world without the family being too upset, I hope they can get on with their lives after I've gone, whether I'm young or old.

That sums it up perfectly for me; I have often wondered whether I will carry guilt to the afterlife, as the thought of "letting them down" by not being around would probably be my own version of hell. (Which is probably the ultimate in selfishness).

I don't know if I am "scared" of dying, but I am only just starting to live, so I would no doubt be a tad pissed off, to say the least.

What scares me about death is nobody knowing my name or who I was in a couple of generations time.

There are plenty of people who will live forever. Winston Churchill, Isaac Newton, Marie Curie, Joan of Arc, Albert Einstein, Henry VIII, Julius Caesar... you get my drift. And some others also but for the wrong reasons.

What mark will I have left on the world? Will I be no more than a name on a slab of stone?

I take a lot of comfort knowing that I have given the world 3 beautiful children who will I hope go on to be 3 decent people. Maybe one of them will go on to make some mark on the world or one of their children or children's children..?

Tell that to Owen's kettle.

Just as well I check threads I'm not involved in. Your uppance will come.

Did you lot see the helicopter crash in the news? The couple were clients of ours, and Paul was a pretty good friend of my dad. Sad.

What scares me about death is nobody knowing my name or who I was in a couple of generations time.

There are plenty of people who will live forever. Winston Churchill, Isaac Newton, Marie Curie, Joan of Arc, Albert Einstein, Henry VIII, Julius Caesar... you get my drift. And some others also but for the wrong reasons.

What mark will I have left on the world? Will I be no more than a name on a slab of stone?

I take a lot of comfort knowing that I have given the world 3 beautiful children who will I hope go on to be 3 decent people. Maybe one of them will go on to make some mark on the world or one of their children or children's children..?

In terms of the universe and the scale of time you are insignificant and so are your children. This is unfortunately a fact.

Sorry to break it too you but living with that knowledge is actually pretty enpowering.

In terms of the universe and the scale of time you are insignificant and so are your children. This is unfortunately a fact.

Sorry to break it too you but living with that knowledge is actually pretty enpowering.

In a way, I suppose. Even so it must be a good feeling knowing that others will still be talking about you in hundreds of years. Knowing that you've made your mark. Even those known for notoriety must take pleasure from knowing their names will be spoken for many years after they have gone. (Not condoning genocide or anything, like)

• 3 years later...

I think about it and it freaks me out - the idea of there being eternal nothingness. Spiritual side of me thinks the moment you die you are just born again as someone or something else - and you'd never know - you may have done it millions of times already.

A relief was a quote someone famous may have said 'when you are alive, you worry about dying. but when you are dead you won't worry about being alive' or words to that effect.

The main fear about death for me is the interesting things I guess I won't see - end of the world, landing on other planets etc.

Strangest Bump ever? Good thread though

I'm petrified of death, just thinking about it properly wrecks my head for ages sometimes. I was told when I used to be in GA that the reason I picked up a self-destructive gambling habit was basically due to my fear of death, pretty common apparently.

As much as I think it's nonsense, I do envy people of any religion who believe there's something to look forward to after this.

I'm scared that I'll go quietly, when I go, I wanna take as many people with me as possible.

If not, I want it to be a drink, drug and sex induced heart attack in a room full of high class whores.

Oh and im scared shitless of dying. I can't think about it too much because it properly freaks me out.

I've decided that being dead is the same before I was born.It didn't bother me then because I didn't exist and it won't bother me when I'm dead because I won't exist then either.

The owner of a boat I used to sail on had a plaque in the cockpit which read "The man who dies owing the most wins." I plan to die with as much debt as I can get my hands on and I'm going to spend it all on having a fucking good time.

If you believe in parallel universes, there's always the possibility that,although you may die in one universe you will still be alive in plenty of others.Actually,in one (or maybe more) of those multiverses someone may have discovered the secret of eternal lfe and you will live forever.

Or maybe not.

Guest davelfc

I'm not afraid of dying, I just don't want to yet. I see it much the same as when you have anaesthetic (if it's done right) you drift off and know nothing about it. The difference being you don't wake up.

What I don't want is a long lingering painful death, something quick or in my sleep like my uncle. (not screaming in terror like the passengers on his bus)