You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

It's the context that has changed over the years. My Dad called me 'lad' on occasion and I call my sons 'lad' because they are boys. Quite often lad would be preceded by 'soft' if you are being a bit of an empty head too. Nowadays it's a sort of buzz word in and around the city in the way people down south use their own sayings. I really hate the use of the word 'sick' and 'wicked' to describe things that are pleasing. Language seems to addle my old brain these days. Don't even start me on people in these North Western parts using 'wiv' instead of the former regional phonetical  pronunciations 'wid' or 'wi'

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, an tha said:

Lad has been around for decades but the use of it has become fucking ridiculous with it being used every other word by some......likes of that Paddy Pimblett have got lad tourettes!

Before a champions league game at Anfield he was getting interviewed pitch side by a female interviewer before the game and he called her lad. Swear down lad. 

I have to suffer people who through their ESD you can see them trying to find the word to overegg with exaggerated Scouse, almost like speaking to someone who has English as a second language and is trying to find the word

These podcasts that are sprouting up remind me of the fact that not everyone can do these things and it reminds me that there are reasons people are chosen to go on podcasts. Normally because they have expert knowledge on a subject and not just reminiscing.

I would like to know the numbers these do for listens and views some of them do. I imagine them to be incredibly low relative to the amplification of them by the small number of the local population who lap them up

On 28/10/2022 at 22:55, RJ Fan club said:

I was on the Bakerloo line last weekend with a scouse family in my carriage. 

They we’re so normal and had a proper classic soft Liverpool accent that I nearly congratulated them on not having ESD, then thought they probably haven’t read this thread. So never spoke to them or said I’d judged them 

This! It's so great hearing a proper Scouse accent down south. Everyone down here thinks ESD is the norm. Me and Mrs Ilnow met a lovely old couple on a train from Goa to Hampi, and she loved their accents (and, as a proper Scouse mum/ grandma, Shirley had packed loads of snacks for everyone - even Indian custard cream type biscuits). I just tell southerners that the ESD accent is just thick twats from outside of Liverpool.

• Upvote 2

Victims of ESD in Huyton also like to big themselves up with bonus ESD points such as: 

Being involved or pretending to be involved in low level criminality.

Know people/pretend to know people who can supply drugs at a moments notice. 

Knowing people who are or have been in prison.

They are avid watchers of MMA or at least pretend to be.  

Bigging up that they go boxing training or have done some martial arts previously. Special bonus if you have worked on the doors somewhere. 

Take mysterious sudden trips outside the city and are coy about giving anyone details about it. Probably just going to Llandudno for the day but make out you are meeting El Chapo on his yacht in the Caribbean. 

Will only go on holiday to certain places, normally including Dubai or Ibiza.

All have the same standard issue haircut and stubble/beard.

Will wear gym gear constantly and talk about the gym non stop even though they just walk round on their phone when they get there. 

All these behaviours are ramped up 10 notches when they leave the city limits and they think they are conquering other towns and that the locals will be terrified of their treble hard scouseness.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Harry Squatter said:

Victims of ESD in Huyton also like to big themselves up with bonus ESD points such as: 

Being involved or pretending to be involved in low level criminality.

Know people/pretend to know people who can supply drugs at a moments notice. 

Knowing people who are or have been in prison.

They are avid watchers of MMA or at least pretend to be.  

Bigging up that they go boxing training or have done some martial arts previously. Special bonus if you have worked on the doors somewhere. 

Take mysterious sudden trips outside the city and are coy about giving anyone details about it. Probably just going to Llandudno for the day but make out you are meeting El Chapo on his yacht in the Caribbean. 

Will only go on holiday to certain places, normally including Dubai or Ibiza.

All have the same standard issue haircut and stubble/beard.

Will wear gym gear constantly and talk about the gym non stop even though they just walk round on their phone when they get there. 

All these behaviours are ramped up 10 notches when they leave the city limits and they think they are conquering other towns and that the locals will be terrified of their treble hard scouseness.

They aren't in the city limits to start with....

On 11/06/2023 at 17:47, Poor Scouser T said:

I don't get this use of 'Lad'. This must be a new thing. it was always 'Mate' must be getting old or out of touch. First time I heard it in person was a nephew I'd not seen for years said 'great to see you lad' he was about 17 I was in my 40's I told him I'm not a fucking lad and he just laughed could see his brain saying old bastard.

"Lid" seems to have died out, thank fuck.

22 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

It's the context that has changed over the years. My Dad called me 'lad' on occasion and I call my sons 'lad' because they are boys. Quite often lad would be preceded by 'soft' if you are being a bit of an empty head too. Nowadays it's a sort of buzz word in and around the city in the way people down south use their own sayings. I really hate the use of the word 'sick' and 'wicked' to describe things that are pleasing. Language seems to addle my old brain these days. Don't even start me on people in these North Western parts using 'wiv' instead of the former regional phonetical  pronunciations 'wid' or 'wi'

"Softlad" is a great expression (although Ms O'T, being a science nerd, still hasn't forgiven me for the time I couldn't remember Gregor Mendel's name and called him "softlad with the peas").

10 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Did you get your Visa to leave revoked again CS?

Cheeky bastard! That's it, next council election I'm going full tilt to get elected. My slogan will be 'gonna make ya purple bins maroon!'.

We'll cross the Liverpool border at 8am the Monday after my election! Freeeeedddddooooommmmmmm!

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

Cheeky bastard! That's it, next council election I'm going full tilt to get elected. My slogan will be 'gonna make ya purple bins maroon!'.

We'll cross the Liverpool border at 8am the Monday after my election! Freeeeedddddooooommmmmmm!

Have family in Huyton and they always whinge about coming into Liverpool for parties yet all their parties are in Huyton and no one else says a thing. 
Crystal Gayle?

Just now, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Have family in Huyton and they always whinge about coming into Liverpool for parties yet all their parties are in Huyton and no one else says a thing. 
Crystal Gayle?

Yeah, shite I know, first thing that popped into my head.

Most of my family is in Huyton, but I'm on Canny Farm now. Those that aren't in Huyton are scattered to the winds. Some are over the water, some down South, some as far away as Singapore.

3 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

Yeah, shite I know, first thing that popped into my head.

Most of my family is in Huyton, but I'm on Canny Farm now. Those that aren't in Huyton are scattered to the winds. Some are over the water, some down South, some as far away as Singapore.

My lot are all in and around Woolfall, Page Moss and the Village. They get giddy when they go as far as Tuebrook.

• Haha 1

In the A&E in the Royal onSunday night and this pissed fella starts talking to me and my lad, knew he was a blue before he opened his mouth and he proceeded to inform us immediately. Told us he had been beat up by two lads who were ‘ going to get chopped up lad couse I’m a ‘ Spekehead ‘ and he was going with these lads with machetes on Monday, he was also dead hard, not a dickhead and very strong, biceps posed and everything. He finally fell asleep on the floor thank fuck.

• Upvote 1