You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

3 minutes ago, stringvest said:

Great live band, Supercharge.  Their best album was produced by Mutt Lange, who went on to produce loads of famous bands and married Shania Twain.  Allie Donnelly, the bald sax player who was about 6ft 5, is still going strong, and Ozzie Yue, the guitarist and occasional singer, has acted in loads of TV stuff, notably as the Chinese guy in Father Ted who accused Ted of being a racist.

Just had a look on their Wikipedia and semi famous is a bit shit of me. Didn't know they had done so much.

Think Allie was the founder member.

The Ozzie Yue story is brilliant, must look that up. Remember him from the live shows but didn't know that.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, stringvest said:

The Sportsman had a racing car nailed to the ceiling - you could get a free drink if you could climb into it.  Several broken backs later, they decided to remove it.

I was too much of a shithouse to even think about it but did see it get done a few times.

4 minutes ago, DalyanPete said:

Just had a look on their Wikipedia and semi famous is a bit shit of me. Didn't know they had done so much.

The Ozzie Yue story is brilliant, must look that up. Remember him from the live shows but didn't know that.

I meant Albie not Allie :)

1 hour ago, DalyanPete said:

There's footage of Ozzie Yeu playing in a band at Exchange Flags, must be about 1965 or so, part of a documentary and sadly one of the band was killed in Vietnam a few years later. 

We used watch Ozzie Yeu in a band called Joker and some other one in The Dockers Hook at the bottom of Millers Bridge /Dock Rd and in the Dixieland Southport. 

• Upvote 1

About 3 years ago I got added into a group chat that was organising a school reunion for people in our year. One of the girls managed to book us the mell Inn on Hawthorne Road for free because one of her relatives owned it. 

I don't know if he was aware that it had been booked for free, but one of the lads messaged the group "The mell Inn? Who the fucks agreed to that?! We may as well have it in the Beaky!" 

He didn't show up 

3 hours ago, DalyanPete said:

The go to pub before getting the Rome special in 77.

They used to have a band on called Supercharge became semi famous with a few spots on TV although not singing "she moved the dishes first" about a bird pissing in the kitchen sink.

Haha  fuck that brings back memories. Great band supercharge. Seem to remember one of their songs had a line " crow up my nose"

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Ken Robber said:

About 3 years ago I got added into a group chat that was organising a school reunion for people in our year. One of the girls managed to book us the mell Inn on Hawthorne Road for free because one of her relatives owned it. 

I don't know if he was aware that it had been booked for free, but one of the lads messaged the group "The mell Inn? Who the fucks agreed to that?! We may as well have it in the Beaky!" 

He didn't show up 

I've not been in the Beaky for about 40 years though our Jimmy and my Belfast mate went in and it was packed, this is when Covid restrictions were still in place. 

I can't remember going to the Mel Inn, I know the mates Dad used to go in there. 

3 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

I've not been in the Beaky for about 40 years though our Jimmy and my Belfast mate went in and it was packed, this is when Covid restrictions were still in place. 

I can't remember going to the Mel Inn, I know the mates Dad used to go in there. 

I've never been in the beaky, but I remember my mate telling me he once did spice in the bogs there 

5 minutes ago, Ken Robber said:

I've never been in the beaky, but I remember my mate telling me he once did spice in the bogs there 

I'd go in there with me Dad etc but it was more of a Social Club then I suppose, Orange Lodge, and then the Catholic club The Iona on Stanley Rd which is a Turkish restaurant now I think. 

3 hours ago, DalyanPete said:

Ozzie Yue had a band that played round town called The Yue Hoos, and they were great.

Albie Donnelly used to knock about in a leotard like Freddie Mercury.......the image has stayed with me all these years

• Upvote 1

Ozzie used to have a sideline as a freelancer getting people to sign up for unions and used to call into the bank I worked in trying to help.Was a really nice guy. The Sportsman transformed into Quinns for a while in the 80's and was quite swish. A rather large black chap at the next urinal once exhorted me to ' shake the chick ' and leave with him. 34 years of marriage later I wonder whether I should have taken him up on his offer.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Ozzie used to have a sideline as a freelancer getting people to sign up for unions and used to call into the bank I worked in trying to help.Was a really nice guy. The Sportsman transformed into Quinns for a while in the 80's and was quite swish. A rather large black chap at the next urinal once exhorted me to ' shake the chick ' and leave with him. 34 years of marriage later I wonder whether I should have taken him up on his offer.

Good grief, I don't think I ever went in when it was Quinns. I was talking to a mate yesterday, he worked in a few pubs one being the Richmond and he asked me if I remembered The Cunarder and I couldn't, by City Pets now Wetherspoons, so the Sportsman must of been a few doors away? I just can't visualise it like City Pets and The Sportsman. 

5 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

Good grief, I don't think I ever went in when it was Quinns. I was talking to a mate yesterday, he worked in a few pubs one being the Richmond and he asked me if I remembered The Cunarder and I couldn't, by City Pets now Wetherspoons, so the Sportsman must of been a few doors away? I just can't visualise it like City Pets and The Sportsman. 

Yes from memory the Cunarder entrance was only about 50 yards down the road from the Sportsman on the corner.

The picture from the Star and Garter you mentioned was noted as 1977 in its caption.

7 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Yes from memory the Cunarder entrance was only about 50 yards down the road from the Sportsman on the corner.

The picture from the Star and Garter you mentioned was noted as 1977 in its caption.

Cheers, still can't recall it. That's about the same time I started going into town regular, mainly the Moonie but did go in there a few times, there was a club called the Cave, I can't remember most clubs and pubs from those days. 

23 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

Old school mate of mines dad used to run the cunarder back in the 80's, never got any free bevvies seeing as I was only about 10 at the time.

9 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

Old school mate of mines dad used to run the cunarder back in the 80's, never got any free bevvies seeing as I was only about 10 at the time.

Haha oh well, I'll have to see if there's any pictures, then think fucksake of course.

Just googled it, next to City Pets, I do now, Tetleys. 

5 hours ago, stringvest said:

Great live band, Supercharge.  Their best album was produced by Mutt Lange, who went on to produce loads of famous bands and married Shania Twain.  Allie Donnelly, the bald sax player who was about 6ft 5, is still going strong, and Ozzie Yue, the guitarist and occasional singer, has acted in loads of TV stuff, notably as the Chinese guy in Father Ted who accused Ted of being a racist.

Monday nights, Supercharge one week,29th and dearborn the next. Late 70s,Supercharge were massive on the continent, Germany, Belgium, Holland, My mate Phil loughran was lead guitar with them, Also fantastic singer and sax player Andy Parker was with them for a while,Andy and Phil went on to form the A team,fabulous Soul,Motown 8 man group with three piece horn section.some fantastic Sunday night gigs at the Botanic in the early 90s.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Take it to the oldest pub you’ve been in thread you arl gets 

(don’t really, I love reading all these old tales) 

It's good when someone mentions a place or band when you've completely forgotten about it and think ah fuck me yes. 

There did seem to bands on everywhere then, whether it was Rock, Soul or C&W ie Cy Tucker or Joe Rogers or Thunderboots, not sure if Ozzie was in that band. 

Better than the screaming Kareoke anyway in my opinion, that one opposite the Blob, I had to get out the other week, just to loud. 

• Upvote 2