You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

War Films

Section_31

War films are ace, they really get the juices flowing, even as a kid I can remember the music from 'The Battle of Britain' used to make me want to jump in a Spitfire and down a few Jerries, preferably over the countryside so i could wave at some farmers with a cigar in my gob.

A mate bought me Downfall as a late birthday present and i'd forgotten how class it was. Combat, psychological drama, history, Der Fuhrer, Hitler Youth fighting to the death, pissed up Russians, great stuff.

The worst War Film I've ever seen though is without doubt 'we were soldiers' with Mel Gibson. Shite.

Downfall is excellent, and youre right, We were Soldiers is fuckin shite.

Some other classics:

Private Ryan (best for me, legend of a film)

Apocalypse Now

Thin Red Line

Full Metal Jacket

Stalingrad

Born on the 4th July

Platoon

A Bridge Too Far

The Longest Day

Good Morning Vietnam

Tora Tora Tora

No Mans Land

Mash

Patton

Where Eagles Dare

Schindlers List

Life is Beautiful

Catch 22

Some great films there Weeksie. I had somehow missed Band of Brothers and got the box set at Christmas. I thought that was very good too, albeit for the small screen.

You betcha G. BoB is an amazing TV series (and I dont really watch tv), I love the episode that Tom Hanks directed, think its the one set in Holland. Great cast too (and mostly brits).

Das Boot is another classic, unbeatable for tension when you hear the Destroyer's propeller cavitation overhead while they're sat on the bottom, then.....boom! Depth Charges, quality.

Never really took a shine to The Thin Red Line to be honest, bought it after everyone started raving about it and it just seemed a cameo-fest trying to be high-brow, war is bad etc etc.

Das Boot is another classic, unbeatable for tension when you hear the Destroyer's propeller cavitation overhead while they're sat on the bottom, then.....boom! Depth Charges, quality.

Never really took a shine to The Thin Red Line to be honest, bought it after everyone started raving about it and it just seemed a cameo-fest trying to be high-brow, war is bad etc etc.

Mate, trust me, give it another go. I thought the same when I first saw it but it really is quality. Its all in the photography, how the scenes are set up etc. The scene where Nick Nolte is doing his nut trying to get the platoon guy to get his grunts up the hill is tense as fuck.

I love the Thin Red Line samples that UNKLE used on "Eye for an eye". I remember the film being slow but I watched it half-cut so that's no real solid opinion.

"Even now in heaven there are angels carrying savage weapons".

the yanks always had to have a bird in "for the love interest" so that guys could take their women to watch it.

Pearl Harbor or Tora Tora Tora.:whatever:

I'd rattle Kate Beckinsale but even modern cgi can't disguise the fact it's a pile of dog doo.

Downfall is excellent, and youre right, We were Soldiers is fuckin shite.

Some other classics:

Private Ryan (best for me, legend of a film)

Apocalypse Now

Thin Red Line

Full Metal Jacket

Stalingrad

Born on the 4th July

Platoon

A Bridge Too Far

The Longest Day

Good Morning Vietnam

Tora Tora Tora

No Mans Land

Mash

Patton

Where Eagles Dare

Schindlers List

Life is Beautiful

Catch 22

You've got to see Taegukgi (Brothers) a Korean sub-titled film. Fucking brilliant and IMO a much better film than Saving Private Ryan.

Hope somebody can help me here. I seen a Vietnam film a few years ago and do not know the name of it. It was the war filmed through a soldier using a hand held video camera. It was fiction not fact. Anybody seen it, and can tell me the name?

Zulu is a legendary film, the bit where the Zulu's are doing their war dance, and Chard gets the Welsh choir to start singing back at them - which pisses the Zulu's off and they charge, is just fantastic. Cain's performance is superb as well, the blue-eyed toffee nosed git that gets a harsh lesson in just why war is so shit.

Although not a film, a scene i find especially powerfull is in Band of Brothers, where Lt Compton sees two of his men with their legs blown off and just throws his helmet on the floor as if he's finally had enough. He gets removed from duty after that and never returns.