You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Steve Gerrard appreciation thread

Rashid

Engage that Shift key, you lazy get.

Damn. Forgot you were in tonight.

I must use capital letters. I must use capital letters. I must use capital letters. I must use capital letters. I must use capital letters. I must use capital letters. I must use capital letters. I must use capital letters. I must use capital letters. I must use capital letters. I must use capital letters. I must use capital letters. I must use capital letters. I must use capital letters. I must use capital letters. I must use capital letters. I must use capital letters. I must use capital letters. I must use capital letters. I must use capital letters. I must use capital letters. I must use capital letters. I must use capital letters. I must use capital letters. I must use capital letters. I must use capital letters. I must use capital letters. I must use capital letters. I must use capital letters. I must use capital letters. I must use capital letters. I must use capital letters. I must use capital letters. I must use capital letters. I must use capital letters. I must use capital letters. I must use capital letters. I must use capital letters. I must use capital letters. I must use capital letters. I must use capital letters. I must use capital letters. I must use capital letters. I must use capital letters. I must use capital letters. I must use capital letters. I must use capital letters. I must use capital letters. I must use capital letters. I must use capital letters. I must use capital letters. I must use capital letters. I must use capital letters. I must use capital letters. I must use capital letters. I must use capital letters. I must use capital letters. I must use capital letters. I must use capital letters. I must use capital letters.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, for all his athleticism and occasionally inspiring performances, I'd have Alonso over Gerrard. Two reasons.

One, Xabi is a one-off in English football. Gerrard may be better (sometimes) than his rivals, but he's not unique. And certainly no Souness. And certainly a regular big match choker (usually for England, thank fuck). Alonso is the most composed, most stylish, and indeed most dignified (off the pitch) midfielder in England by miles...

Second, he's our captain and our would-be hero. Who was twice on the verge of joining "probably the most offensive team in the world". Yes, I'm unforgiving. But I think all that still verges on the unforgivable...

Sorry, for all his athleticism and occasionally inspiring performances, I'd have Alonso over Gerrard. Two reasons.

One, Xabi is a one-off in English football. Gerrard may be better (sometimes) than his rivals, but he's not unique. And certainly no Souness. And certainly a regular big match choker (usually for England, thank fuck). Alonso is the most composed, most stylish, and indeed most dignified (off the pitch) midfielder in England by miles...

Second, he's our captain and our would-be hero. Who was twice on the verge of joining "probably the most offensive team in the world". Yes, I'm unforgiving. But I think all that still verges on the unforgivable...

Nothing is unforgivable. If he had turned in half assed performances then its unforgivable, but he has played his best season ever. I love Xabi, but Gerrard is better. Xabi has choked in matches too, all players do it.

Nothing is unforgivable. If he had turned in half assed performances then its unforgivable, but he has played his best season ever. I love Xabi, but Gerrard is better. Xabi has choked in matches too, all players do it.

Nothing? If he'd left, that wouldn't be unforgivable?

Different players, I accept. But people do get worked up after two decent performances plus a hatfull of goals in Champions League qualification. He was atrocious in the Arsenal match. I suspect that performance woke him up. But I don't think this is his best season, notwithstanding his goal scoring. I think it was two seasons back that I actually bought into the hype. Otherwise, I think he's something of a media creation (like Lampard, though Gerrard is much more talented)...

Wind, wind?

Guest TK-421

RE: Reina's distribution - i love his super-flat-long-volley-out move, where the ball flies quickly off his boot just high enough to clear the opposing forward and midfield players and hopefully find one of our attackers.

Josef Svejk are u fuccking stupid or what.

acting like a manc and blue shite.

You disagree, despite your name; I'm stupid - obviously.

But to accuse me of being a Manc or Blue Shite? Please. How about an argument, or some remotely intelligent comment...

While we're mentioning Reina I'd just like to put a word in for his distribution. Whether it's with the boot or the hands he's just outstanding.

That is spot on. With Jerzy you just never knew where the ball was going to go.

Have to remember that Reina is still young for a GK.

He's got the skills to be up there with Clemence as a legend- his sweeping, reading of the game, distribution when he gets the ball- all things that have come into the game since Ray's day. As well, he has concentration- against these same Brummies he pulled off a magnificent stop at Anfield to keep it 1-0.

Best keeper in the Premiership.

That is spot on. With Jerzy you just never knew where the ball was going to go.

Have to remember that Reina is still young for a GK.

He's got the skills to be up there with Clemence as a legend- his sweeping, reading of the game, distribution when he gets the ball- all things that have come into the game since Ray's day. As well, he has concentration- against these same Brummies he pulled off a magnificent stop at Anfield to keep it 1-0.

Best keeper in the Premiership.

And he's hard as nails! A great keeper imho.

You disagree, despite your name; I'm stupid - obviously.

But to accuse me of being a Manc or Blue Shite? Please. How about an argument, or some remotely intelligent comment...

Comparing Stevie to Lampard and other hyped up English players and the best midfielder in the world, and captain of Liverpool FC dont be an idiot.

Yur are putting him with other hyped up English players, thats ridiculous and outrageous.

Thats as absurd as it can get.

I am not accussing you of being a Manc or Blue Shite, I am saying stop acting like one.

I want to see Gerrard dominate against the top teams before I compare him with Souness. I can't help but think that he still goes missing too often in big games if we're up against it. He has amazing energy levels, teriffic skill and passing abilty and a fantastic eye for goal, but I can't help but feel that he has that 5% missing that stops him from being the player a lot of Reds hype him up to be. I don't want these comments to make me feel like I don't appreciate the lad, and those who've been on here a while will know that I was one who defended him when everyone was on his case, but I just think that there's more to be had out of Steve, and would use the example of the Brum away game towards the end of Houllier's reign as an example of how I think he is currently playing within himself. He really was world class that day and I've seen nothing as good since (that performance was pre-Chelsea tapping).

Josef, just because you say what you say in what you believe is an unemotional manner or use logical arguments, doen't mean you are right and Alonso, the poster, is wrong.

You, even though you wont admit it, are an unforgiving person, who will not allow a young footballer to think about being somewhere else. That's at the root of your cynicism. As for the ATK, no one is asking you to like him as a person, it's not like he wants to hang round with you....

Gerrard is without a doubt the one thing that has kept Liverpool firing for the last couple of seasons. Now he has a manager that knows what he's doing and Stevie is looking confident, energetic and at times sublime.

Fucking Legend

I thought Crouch was excellent but tonight it was all about Steven Gerarrd, £50M would not buy his right leg and we got him for free. A lad who was struggling to be fit and play when he was a young lad. Credit has to go to Steve Heighway and Gerard Houllier for giving him his chance.

What a player, I'd not swap him with anyone in the world, not even Ronaldino. The best midfielder Liverpool have ever had.

Can we have a thread praising Parry next, Rash? :D

Thought Stevie was ace. A real captain's performance. The 2 early goals took the pressure off and let him play it like he is capable of. The headless chicken stuff and wayward passes he indulges in when we're not scoring were gone. His pass to Nando was pure leadership. If we'd've been struggling at that point I'm sure he'd've had a crack himself.

His look after the third was pure school teacher. Let the kids celebrate. Job done. Now let's play this with the Derby in mind.

On Reina, the man is a perfectionist. Didn't think he was totally comfortable at Newcastle, maybe because of the new line up, but he was spot on last night. Even at 5 & 6 up his determination to keep a clean sheet was immense. Comparisons with Clem were made in the Cath household too.

I want to see Gerrard dominate against the top teams before I compare him with Souness. I can't help but think that he still goes missing too often in big games if we're up against it. He has amazing energy levels, teriffic skill and passing abilty and a fantastic eye for goal, but I can't help but feel that he has that 5% missing that stops him from being the player a lot of Reds hype him up to be. I don't want these comments to make me feel like I don't appreciate the lad, and those who've been on here a while will know that I was one who defended him when everyone was on his case, but I just think that there's more to be had out of Steve, and would use the example of the Brum away game towards the end of Houllier's reign as an example of how I think he is currently playing within himself. He really was world class that day and I've seen nothing as good since (that performance was pre-Chelsea tapping).

That type of performance whilst gaining various plaudits from fans and,media etc is unlikely to be repeated in a Rafa Benitez team. I think that was one of the things Rafa looked at and changed - Gerrard was awesome that day but he was trying to do every job on the pitch and succeeding! (Probably bcoz the rest of the team were struggling) However If I recall correctly Rafas take on that was that impressive as it was, it was also undisciplined as when Stevie is making match saving tackles in the left back position there is then a big hole in our central midfield...

One other thing the better the team gets the more often we will see Gerrard dominating teams. Yes Souness dominated more games but he was playing in arguably the greatest team this country has seen so it was a lot easier for him than Gerrard who is playing in a team that whilst improving is not the finished article (yet).

Gerrard was superb again last night, really cant think of many better than him right now, looks like he is enjoying his football as well, seems to have really got to grips with what Rafa wants and has confidence in those around him and as a result doesnt seem to be wasting his energies running round like a headless chicken, quality quality player. As for whose better Xabi or Gerrard, who gives a fuck they are both ours, so lets enjoy them.

Special word for Momo, bit rusty to start with but didnt pull out od any challenges to turn in a typical display, gotta love the way he fucked the glasses off after about 10 minutes!

And Reina, have been a huge fan from the moment we signed him, some others doubted him, but for such a young goalkeeper he is awesome, have siad it before and will say it again the way he reads the game lend so much to the way we play, allows us to push much higher up the pitch and when he comes to punch/catch a ball he is very much like CLemence, whatever is in his way gets clattered, top keeper, best since Clem imo.

That type of performance whilst gaining various plaudits from fans and,media etc is unlikely to be repeated in a Rafa Benitez team. I think that was one of the things Rafa looked at and changed - Gerrard was awesome that day but he was trying to do every job on the pitch and succeeding! (Probably bcoz the rest of the team were struggling) However If I recall correctly Rafas take on that was that impressive as it was, it was also undisciplined as when Stevie is making match saving tackles in the left back position there is then a big hole in our central midfield...

One other thing the better the team gets the more often we will see Gerrard dominating teams. Yes Souness dominated more games but he was playing in arguably the greatest team this country has seen so it was a lot easier for him than Gerrard who is playing in a team that whilst improving is not the finished article (yet).

Exactly.

Gerrard is an absolutely stunning player but I think VV's concerns are definitely warranted. Against the likes of Chelsea, Utd and Arsenal he doesn't play to his best so until he addresses that you can't go over the top about him.

He was awesome last night though.

IMO Gerard is the most important player ever to play for Liverpool Football Club – already he’d sit quite comfortably next to Souness in my all time LFC XI.

In an era where mediocrity lurked around every corner, he is and was our one ‘great’ footballer who would walk into any team in the world, and as long as we retained him (and to a lesser extent, Owen) we were able to hold onto some kind of pretence that we were still a European powerhouse, and maintain the respect (if not fear) of the other great European clubs.

There have been very few players on the planet in the last decade who had the ability to grab their team by the throat and force them onward, a young Keane, Vieira, Ronaldhinio, Zidane, and Gerard are the only ones that spring to my mind. The lad is a true talisman, and a symbol of Liverpool Football Club.

I was as pissed off as most after the debacle of last two summers, but the Thiery Henry situation this year has made me think twice about my reaction then. When I hear Henry linked with Barca I think ‘Salut to the lad, he’s a great player coming into his prime, how can anyone begrudge him the chance to play in a truly great side where his talents will be complemented by equal footballers’ If I find myself thinking this after ‘1’ season of mediocrity from Arsenal, I have to wonder what was going through Gerrards head post-Houllier, and even last summer when he saw no signs of any great players coming to the club.

Still, water under the bridge – the lad is the most important player we have ever had, the right man in the right place at the right time, without him, we’d be mid-table and forgotten right now, and AC Milan would be the reigning European Champions…

more important than kenny?

Kenny was surounded by great players playing in a great side, Gerrard came along when we were on the verge of an Abyss. LFC could have seased to be a major force in the game on many occasions these last eight years, only a handfull of players kept us 'afloat', Folwer, Mcmanaman, Owen, Carragher, Gerrard. Gerrard is king in this chosen few.