You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Football transfers that didn't happen that changed history

Listening to Michael Cox book The Mixer

Got me thinking about transfers that didn't happen, but if they did change football history. 

Sheff Weds turning down Fergusons 3ml offer for David Hirst another bid failed for Brian Deane. If that happens they don't buy Cantona for 1ml and it probably changes the 90s. 

Di Steffano to Barcelona,suspected Franco interferences and he ends up at Real Madrid

Others?

6 minutes ago, Moctezuma said:

Didn't the club try to sign Lou Macari before they got in Daglish and United stole him at the last minute?

We were in for Macari but I simply remember him choosing them over us. I imagined it was a bit before Dalglish but not sure.

1 minute ago, Curly said:

Houllier choosing to reject signing Anelka and instead brought in Diouf. Still rankles

I hate the Diouf signing but Anelka was a nightmare to deal with due to his 'agents' or brothers. See the clubs he had as evidence.

We were apparently close to a deal for Pallister from Boro, but instead used the money to bring back Rushie. I think we might have been in for both Keane and Schmeichel at one point too.

Nick Barmby because of the death threats and they knew where he lived. Good job he wasnt black, high and mighty would have gone full klan.

All because of the six words Kenwright didnt want to hear.

2 hours ago, Trumo said:

We were apparently close to a deal for Pallister from Boro, but instead used the money to bring back Rushie. I think we might have been in for both Keane and Schmeichel at one point too.

Souness said that Ron Yates told him there was a young Danish goalkeeper who was a red and was willing to pay for their own travel to come over on trial. He didn't go for it as we had recently signed James and Brucie still hadn't left. 

He also said that he turned down Cantona. 

A bit more on the Cantona transfer to United. 

Leeds enquired about the possibility of singing Dennis Irwin from the Mancs. The result of the enquiry, or so legend has it anyway, is that they intended up selling Eric Cantona instead. 

3 hours ago, Trumo said:

Keane was the first one to pop up in my mind. The 90s turns on his decision to join Man Utd instead of Blackburn.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Trumo said:

Sheffield United not managing to sign Maradona.

It was Sunderland, unless the Blades also tried. Sunderland defo thought they were getting him at one point in the late seventies. My brother in law mentions this at least once a week, he loves Maradona even more than I do.

The one I always think back to was Michael Laudrup. We wanted to sign him to play up top with Rushy and with Kenny in behind. Imagine.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, dave u said:

It was Sunderland, unless the Blades also tried. Sunderland defo thought they were getting him at one point in the late seventies. My brother in law mentions this at least once a week, he loves Maradona even more than I do.

The one I always think back to was Michael Laudrup. We wanted to sign him to play up top with Rushy and with Kenny in behind. Imagine.

It was Sheff Utd. Leeds also. I think Harry Haslam was manager? They'd signed another Argie,Alex Sabella and tried for Maradona too.

There's loads of stuff about him and Sunderland. Like this

https://lastwordonsports.com/football/2024/04/24/diego-maradona-signs-for-sunderland/#:~:text=Diego Maradona Wanted the Move to Sunderland to Happen&text=Sunderland were the first to,and Maradona wanted to go.

Diego Maradona Wanted the Move to Sunderland to Happen

In 1977, a 17-year-old Maradona was already making the world take notice of his skills while playing at Argentinos Juniors. Sunderland were the first to make a move, and it almost happened.

As Maradona’s biographer, Daniel Arcucci explained: “The first offer that Maradona received was from England’s Sunderland in 1977 and Maradona wanted to go. “He said ‘If they don’t sell me to Sunderland, I’m retiring’. At that time we didn’t have a democratic government and they declared him untransferable, one of a group of players who were untransferable.” 

It took another five years for Maradona to get his move to Europe. However, for Sunderland fans, the move was not to Roker Park but to Barcelona. 

9 hours ago, Street Preacher said:

Souness said that Ron Yates told him there was a young Danish goalkeeper who was a red and was willing to pay for their own travel to come over on trial. He didn't go for it as we had recently signed James and Brucie still hadn't left. 

He also said that he turned down Cantona. 

Schmeichel signed for the Mancs in 1991 (he was the goalkeeper when they lost out to Leeds for the title). James joined us in 1992.