You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Kin

Bjornebye

56 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Bren was a creepy nonce his death didn't come quick enough in spite of his good performance. I'd of preferred it if they didn't add the noncey bit and extended to story of it being a battle for power.

I think for any audience it would always have had to be something pretty big to legitimise sons and an entire family wanting to cap a motherfucker, if it was purely down to business the characters wouldn't have been sympathetic at all. 

3 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I think for any audience it would always have had to be something pretty big to legitimise sons and an entire family wanting to cap a motherfucker, if it was purely down to business the characters wouldn't have been sympathetic at all. 

He can be an evil character who people root against without it going full nonce. How he treated the family without the molestering was enough to illicit sympathy for them and anger against him. 

4 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

He can be an evil character who people root against without it going full nonce. How he treated the family without the molestering was enough to illicit sympathy for them and anger against him. 

I don't get this.

He's nor a real person, it's a made up programme about a family of gangsters who murder & steal to make a living. What difference does it make if one of the pretend people is a pretend nonce?

5 hours ago, Mook said:

I don't get this.

He's nor a real person, it's a made up programme about a family of gangsters who murder & steal to make a living. What difference does it make if one of the pretend people is a pretend nonce?

No shit! he's not a real person or a real family guess people don't have opinions on shows because its make believe. The point being I'd rather the character of Bren been in the show longer and not take the easy route of how can we make this character really dislikeable! I know we will add that he's a nonce and also likes to keep it in the family. It felt like an easy get out. It's a show about gangsters and murderers so the only way they felt they can make Bren stand out even more is... "let's make him a peado" him being the family alpha and ruining things through his arrogance and entitlement was way more interesting a route to take and bring him down  rather then a story device where it wouldn't of mattered what the rest of his character is like, he's a nonce kill him. I think the character was wasted. 

Art isn't always meant to be entertaining, it can be harrowing.

If you don't like it, turn it off.

I can see the point about it being bad writing but let's face it, there are plenty of holes in the plot & other daft bits we can pick on there too.

20 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Bren was a creepy nonce his death didn't come quick enough in spite of his good performance. I'd of preferred it if they didn't add the noncey bit and extended to story of it being a battle for power.

The nonce part was crucial to his character, he would have been just an ordinary scumbag gangster without the extra menace. Not many characters over the years have had the pure evil he's had.

True story this, the pub where the nonce met his end was run in real life by a nonce, he raped and paid off the lounge boys, I know of a young customer raped as well. He paid off his parents and the auld lad done a runner with the money and hooked up with a young one.

• Upvote 1