You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Shit time to be alive

Clem H Fandango

The UK is in a shit state and I genuinely believe Brexit has played a huge part. The divide in society driven by the right wing gammon press is horrible. The country is overflowing with racist shitheads, anti-"woke" bellends and plenty of I'm alright jack types. Maybe it always has but I can't remember the media being so fucking vile and polluted peoples minds and I certainly doubt we've ever had a government as corrupt as this gang of cunts voted for by the above mentioned cunts. Boris Johnson as PM for fucking crying out loud. 

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, A Red said:

From what I'm told the early 60's was a fantastic time to be alive in Liverpool, pretty much full employment, money to spend, music, sport etc. Obviously there were outside bogs and white dogshit but you cant have everything

Not if you lived in a slum,as a hell of a lot of us did back then. Being a kid and having a loving and caring family shielded you from the shit that was actually going on and having a bit of disposable income after covering the necessities helped. As did the community spirit back then. We had more when we actually had less!

• Upvote 1

You wouldn't get a loan of a few teabags or sugar from your neighbour these days. In saying that the standard of living has increased, so running out of said items is less likely to happen. When I was a kid I knew the names of every one of my neighbours. Today I know barely anyone on my road. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Not if you lived in a slum,as a hell of a lot of us did back then. Being a kid and having a loving and caring family shielded you from the shit that was actually going on and having a bit of disposable income after covering the necessities helped. As did the community spirit back then. We had more when we actually had less!

Well my nan's house didnt have a bathroom and ours didnt have an inside bog until me arl fella got a grant to change part of the house and install one in the very early 70s. We had lino on the bedroom floors and a coal fire in the main room. Other than that, it was a leccie fire to keep warm. But I never considered either house a slum. today, some may say they were looking back.

6 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

You wouldn't get a loan of a few teabags or sugar from your neighbour these days. In saying that the standard of living has increased, so running out of said items is less likely to happen. When I was a kid I knew the names of every one of my neighbours. Today I know barely anyone on my road. 

The standard of neighbours has always been shit. The way the old people act round here, lazy fuckers never take their milk in. 

Thatcher stripped away that sense of community spirit. That said, Its 40 years from WW2 in 1985 and we have pretty much had that time over again since. You had people knocking about back then who had lived through darker times.

Growing up in the early 80s with my Mum, who was divorced at 22 with two young kids, my old man knocking her about and we were kept afloat by my Nan (still with us now at 95) and my Granda (no longer with us). Support network barely existed. I remember as a toddler when my Mum was at the DSS office, with some old crone saying in a very raised tone that 'you should go back to your husband'.The whole 80's crest of a wave thing passed us by. And we lived in southern England then.

Roll on to today. I earn below average money in education, but i feed and clothe myself, and nobody kicks the shit out of me.  From a Maslows hierarchy of needs view, 2023 represents Utopia when compared to 1983.

But I'm still not happy. The period between 2016 and 2020 saw personal struggle, where I was a carer for both mother (who passed) and sister (now in residential care) . Life is much quieter now, but there hasnt been a triumphant comeback because covid sucked the life out most of the last three years and then cost of living. 

There was a cold war threat in the 1980's but as a kid, you have no appreciation of what this is. We have Putin sabre rattling now.  We have governments that are at worst fascist, at best fundamentally corrupt. 

Is at as worse as its been ? I dont know. The world is smaller than 40 years ago as technology advances. Media makes those accountable somewhat accessible (you can tweet a world leader - they may not see it, but you can say what you feel).

When it gets too much, I think of the bungalow I live in, that Im slowly making improvements too and the surrounds, and thats my little world where I have some span of control (so I think) and nobody else can influence it. I can switch off.

One things for sure, Im glad the football team had a purple patch when things were really shit for me. You need one thing in your life going right.

But yeah, its otherwise pretty shit. It could be worse shit. We all want better shit.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 9

I dread the theatre of next election night. I felt like dogshit in 2015, 2016 and 2019. I cant trust the public to not vote those cunts in again and make it more helpless and hopeless.

Re climate change, it was all ozone layer and CFC's in fridges and aerosols growing up. It was always talked about but always shoved on to the next generation (people, govt etc). No one takes ownership

2 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

That stinks of working class Tory.  I'd steal his tools and smash his van up with them.

Bet the last money in your pocket he'd be a tory and a brexit voter and of course a big fan of that piece of shite Johnson.

Or in short - a cunt.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

When I was growing up my nan and granddad didn't have a fridge, they had a larder. 

At the same time, mortgages weren't £1000 a month and energy prices £300 a month. 

I guess everything is relative. 

My mum and dad were able to save enough money in two years whilst still going out every Friday and Saturday night to put a deposit down on a new build 3 bed house and pay for their wedding. 

Try doing that now. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, lifetime fan said:

My mum and dad were able to save enough money in two years whilst still going out every Friday and Saturday night to put a deposit down on a new build 3 bed house and pay for their wedding. 

Try doing that now. 

Thats an excellent point on the financial side. Rep given.

8 minutes ago, House of Dirk said:

I dread the theatre of next election night. I felt like dogshit in 2015, 2016 and 2019. I cant trust the public to not vote those cunts in again and make it more helpless and hopeless.

Telling you now, if this country votes in the Tories then I’m done. I’m moving out of the country, no question. It’s not even about ideology or politics at that point, it’s about being able to look people in the eye. Seriously, I found it fucking hard to do it after the Brexit vote, but if they can see how this government has acted, unlawfully, immorally, and with general incompetence and they think ‘yeah, more of that please’, then they can fuck off. Well, no, I can though. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Telling you now, if this country votes in the Tories then I’m done. I’m moving out of the country, no question. It’s not even about ideology or politics at that point, it’s about being able to look people in the eye. Seriously, I found it fucking hard to do it after the Brexit vote, but if they can see how this government has acted, unlawfully, immorally, and with general incompetence and they think ‘yeah, more of that please’, then they can fuck off. Well, no, I can though. 

You know I said I was voting Starmer...............................

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Sadly so many of them have the attitude of 'they are all bad' and continue to vote for the devil they know...

I hear it regularly - 'labour are just as bad, they all are - and the tories led us through covid so been hard for them to get a fair crack at it, nobody else would have done any better'....

The tories have actually through their absolute cuntishness managed to destroy peoples faith in all politicians.

I fully expect when push comes to shove they'll do enough to hang on to power again at next election - likely propped via a deal again.

• Upvote 1