You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

9 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

The crazier thing is the 11 that played that game never played together another time. Before or after.

Yeah....the after part wouldn't oridinarily be much of a surprise if you think it was last game of a season and therefore more often than not at least 1 player leaves.....but that didn't happen, none of them left - which makes it as you say crazy....

19 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Only players left from the CL win in 2019.

Mad.

FB_IMG_1691261671874.jpg

And within the last few months some crank or other on here has suggested getting rid of each of all of the remaining ones*  because they’re FINISHED. 

*Except Alisson. Even the crazies aren’t that mad. 

5 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

They should have sold 18 months ago, imo they held on only because they thought the ESL would happen - couldn't find an interested buyer and now have missed the boat.

Saudis on their way to building their own super league.

Surely the ESL or something similar is more likely due to the Saudis prescience. Maybe with UEFA involved this time as they need to protect their product. In the same way the Saudis threw money at golf, divided it then got a seat at the table.

3 hours ago, an tha said:

It is hard to see our value going higher than it is at present - but at same time it is hard to see us getting a buyer at such a price.

I don't think FSG are terrible owners - but they are what they are and will want to maximise the return on their investment - i'd expect a sale within next 12 months, especially if we stay outside the european cup places, they won't want to cough up what it would take to get us back to top and they won't want to lose out on a good return - it will be a sale at a price a bit lower than our peak value, but will still represent a massive profit for FSG. The thing is though who can buy us at what would be a lot of money and be able to invest big money in squad?

That’s exactly it. More venture capitalists, another oil state, some shady Russian, a wealthy scouser ?

the question of who would be suitable/acceptable custodians is worth a thread of its own.

33 minutes ago, redrosetints said:

Surely the ESL or something similar is more likely due to the Saudis prescience. Maybe with UEFA involved this time as they need to protect their product. In the same way the Saudis threw money at golf, divided it then got a seat at the table.

Don't know - if you use golf as an example any Italian team that was thrown that kind of money would sign up. So Juve and both Milans. PSG and City/Newcastle/Chelsea are in. Barca would take the check as well imo. That lot plus the big 4 there is 12 in a breakaway league. 

Who else do they need - us, United, Bayern and Real?

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, redrosetints said:

That’s exactly it. More venture capitalists, another oil state, some shady Russian, a wealthy scouser ?

the question of who would be suitable/acceptable custodians is worth a thread of its own.

Yeah.

Problem is i dare say they won't give a toss who they sell to - especially if it is a race against time to sell a declining in value asset.

6 minutes ago, an tha said:

Yeah.

Problem is i dare say they won't give a toss who they sell to - especially if it is a race against time to sell a declining in value asset.

They don’t, but we do. I don’t want us state owned, being self sustaining actually fits us, but if it mean’s we can’t be successful, would we accept that ? I’m quite positive about next season and I think we’ll be comfortable back in the top 4, but in 2 or 3 years time, especially when Klopp goes. I don’t know

12 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Don't know - if you use golf as an example any Italian team that was thrown that kind of money would sign up. So Juve and both Milans. PSG and City/Newcastle/Chelsea are in. Barca would take the check as well imo. That lot plus the big 4 there is 12 in a breakaway league. 

So the ESL band is back together then 

5 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

The Saudis will surely want and likely get an in to the structure in europe some way.

They can throw as much money as want at own league but nobody really cares.

I was reading something recently somebody wrote - may have been here, but it summed it up nicely for me. Was along lines of not really

seeing what their end game is.....Golf etc can see it, that and other sports they are all over are about individual players....You build a golf course or tennis stadium  and get all the best players in the world to come and play and offer the highest prize money and you can claim to be hosting top level events that people will invest in and engage with and care about.

Football is about teams and the history and the emotional investment people have in their clubs and the history that comes wirth that and the rivalries etc....

That simply just can't be bought in the same way.

For my money if they think they can do the same over there with football as say golf, tennis or F1 then they have got it wrong.
badly - they need the legitimacy Liverpool, Man Utd, Real Madrid, Barcelona et al.

They can have even likes of Mbappe but players come and go and they come and go very quickly....It is the clubs and the competitions, the local and other rivalries and the world renowned profile of the biggest clubs and all that stuff that are the bedrock and what people are emotionally invested in.

Let them spunk billions - for me it won't get them anywhere in the end really without some way of getting into same set up as the biggest clubs in the world.

24 minutes ago, redrosetints said:

They don’t, but we do. I don’t want us state owned, being self sustaining actually fits us, but if it mean’s we can’t be successful, would we accept that ? I’m quite positive about next season and I think we’ll be comfortable back in the top 4, but in 2 or 3 years time, especially when Klopp goes. I don’t know

Yeah - but we have no say do we.

As for this coming season - i expect us to better, but i also expect the competition to improve. We need a good start, to help with belief and give us momentum - something that may be tough because it looks like we will be starting without filling our biggest holes properly.

Getting off to a good start after last season is really important.

4 hours ago, JohnnyH said:

The Glazers are much much worse owners than FSG.  They are just piling debt on the club and allowing the ground to fall into an incredible state of disrepair. Any repeat of the last financial crisis and Man Utd could easily end up where we were under Hicks had Gillett.  

Some (a lot) of Man Utd fans seem to think that new owners will automatically equal loads of success. They quickly forget that they’ve spent loads already. It’s when you speak to the old school fans actively wanting the Glazers out that you find the ones that know that what the new owners will do is bring financial surety to the club and spend on infrastructure and not just players to appease the half-arsed fan base. 

But again, be under no illusion, the Glazers are infinitely worse for their club than FSG are for ours.  Our owners failings see us miss out on the champions league. Glazers failings could very easily result in Man Utd ceasing to exist. 

Rubbish

The Glazers are bad owners but United will never go under.  United spend a lot of money but if it weren't for the Glazers they could spend even more.  The Glazers are bad owners with bad PR.

FSG are bad owners with good PR.  Most of the good PR comes from stablising the club after H&G but they got an incredble deal and bought the club at a fraction of the price.  They've constantly made bad decisions at boadroom level but have lucked out with Jurgen and the revenue gotten from Suarez & Coutinho.  Their actual investment is minimal and has been geared towards the value of their asset.  They don't care if we are successful or not they just want their asset value to increase and increase.  They bought us for what £200m ??  The club is now valued at well over £2bn, how much money have they personally invested

There has to be some alternative to either Americal hedgefund capitalists and sportswashing state investment.  Virtually with every week I become less and less arsed about football.  I think it'll eats itself within a few years - the greed will be all consuming and it'll hopefully all implode.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, George Costanza said:

Rubbish

The Glazers are bad owners but United will never go under.  United spend a lot of money but if it weren't for the Glazers they could spend even more.  The Glazers are bad owners with bad PR.

FSG are bad owners with good PR.  Most of the good PR comes from stablising the club after H&G but they got an incredble deal and bought the club at a fraction of the price.  They've constantly made bad decisions at boadroom level but have lucked out with Jurgen and the revenue gotten from Suarez & Coutinho.  Their actual investment is minimal and has been geared towards the value of their asset.  They don't care if we are successful or not they just want their asset value to increase and increase.  They bought us for what £200m ??  The club is now valued at well over £2bn, how much money have they personally invested

There has to be some alternative to either Americal hedgefund capitalists and sportswashing state investment.  Virtually with every week I become less and less arsed about football.  I think it'll eats itself within a few years - the greed will be all consuming and it'll hopefully all implode.

FSG are poor owners overall who need to spend more but the difference between three quarters of a billion pound debt, a dilapidated stadium and no debt and a rebuilt stadium is more than just good PR.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, an tha said:

They can have even likes of Mbappe but players come and go and they come and go very quickly....It is the clubs and the competitions, the local and other rivalries and the world renowned profile of the biggest clubs and all that stuff that are the bedrock and what people are emotionally invested in.

Let them spunk billions - for me it won't get them anywhere in the end really without some way of getting into same set up as the biggest clubs in the world.

If they have the best players in the world and 3/4 of the legacy teams playing in a breakaway league those will be the biggest teams in the world.

8 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

If they have the best players in the world and 3/4 of the legacy teams playing in a breakaway league those will be the biggest teams in the world.

That is a long, long way off and extemely unlikely IMO. But i'd rule nothing out in the absolute shitshow football is and is increasingly becoming.

When the world cup is being help in a place like Qatar mid season and all the best leagues in Europe are paused for it to take place - well that is the tip of a very large iceberg i suppose.