You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: That was the Week that Was (Jul 11-15 2022)

tlw content

theweekthatwas.jpg

Monday Jul 11:

Some takeaways from the latest training videos from Thailand. Firstly, the South American lads look like they’re trying to recruit Carvalho. Harvey, Curtis and the other young guns have a fight on their hands there. Seconds, ice baths. Just fucking nightmare fuel that for me. I’ve said this before but I couldn’t be a professional footballer if it meant getting in ice baths every day. The idea of it fucking terrifies me. 

I can’t even get a cold shower. Back when I used to go the gym I’d spend a lot of time in the sauna and steamroom (more than I did in the actual gym) and outside them were showers. Some were cold, some were warm. I’m the only person I ever saw using the warm one. There was a plunge pool too that everyone used to go in after they came out of the sauna. One time I plucked up the nerve to give it a try. If everyone else Is doing it then it can’t be that bad, right? Wrong. It took every bit of self restraint I had not to scream.

And now I see the lads casually just sitting in ice baths, throwing ice at eachother and not being the slightest bit bothered by it. They don’t even grimace when they get in. This must be a me problem, right? Maybe I have super sensitive skin or something, because I can’t even get into the sea on holiday without edging my way in, inch by inch, standing on my tip toes because I don’t want the cold water hitting my stomach and chest. Reluctantly, I have to admit it - I’m fucking pathetic.

The final take away I had from watching the stuff on LFCTV though is that I’ve got a strong feeling Harvey is going to completely rip it up this season. I know you can’t judge anything based on these training videos, but even so, he looks dynamite. There was an interview with him too where he was asked about whether he enjoyed his time off and if he was able to relax. He basically said that no he didn’t, he was just itching to get back. Eye of the tiger baby. Eye of the tiger.

One other thing, Harvey was also asked about his mate Fabio and he said “what a player by the way. A true superstar”. This is interesting to me because although Harvey is a kid, he’s quite mature in his interviews and wouldn’t throw that comment around lightly. It’s also interesting to read the quotes from Klopp today about why he doesn’t need a midfielder and he doesn’t understand the obsession fans have about it.

For the record, I do want a midfielder but I also agreed with everything Jurgen said about it. I want one to replace Keita, I don’t want one in addition to what we have because we don’t want to restrict the opportunities for the young talent we have. Klopp referenced Curtis, Harvey and Fabio as creative midfield options and also said they’d be used as a number 10 if we played with just two midfielders. 

The reason he was talking about this was because he was asked about Bellingham. His answer made it obvious that he wants him because he didn’t say “I don’t need a midfielder” he said “he is not on the market this summer”. 

Final point, Billy Hogan did another interview on the site too. Not about Paris this time, just about general stuff to do with the tour, the stadium expansion and stuff like that. As a rule I absolute loathe rich, corporate types, especially American ones. I get a completely different vibe about this fella though. You could go for a bevvy with him I reckon and not come away thinking “what a cunt”.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that 'the Week that Was' is only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £3 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Like 1

• dave u pinned this topic
On 16/07/2022 at 16:53, tlw content said:

theweekthatwas.jpg

Monday Jul 11:

And now I see the lads casually just sitting in ice baths, throwing ice at eachother and not being the slightest bit bothered by it. They don’t even grimace when they get in. This must be a me problem, right? Maybe I have super sensitive skin or something, because I can’t even get into the sea on holiday without edging my way in, inch by inch, standing on my tip toes because I don’t want the cold water hitting my stomach and chest. Reluctantly, I have to admit it - I’m fucking pathetic.

Please note that 'the Week that Was' is only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £3 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

I was going to laugh at you but to be honest, if I had luscious locks like you, I would be a bit paranoid about losing the shine in all that horrid salt water.

This is what happens when we get Tories supporting us. Dave Thatcher here…

I’ve seen a bit of complaining about ticket prices for these pre-season games and apparently the cheapest for this was £90. Maybe I’m way off base here, but I have no issue with that whatsoever. The club aren’t going over there for any reason other than because it pays well. It’s a pain in the arse, it’s not how Klopp would ideally want to prepare for the new season so if we’re going to the Far East they better make it worth our while

• Upvote 1

On 21/07/2022 at 19:53, deiseach said:

In fairness I wrote that two months ago, it just got published this week.

Since I said fuck all was happening though, Nunez scored four goals in a half and David Moores died. I'll include that in next week's though.

8 hours ago, dave u said:

In fairness I wrote that two months ago, it just got published this week.

Since I said fuck all was happening though, Nunez scored four goals in a half and David Moores died. I'll include that in next week's though.

And Everton provided the usual comedy on their tour of the States. I hope you’ve got something to say about that Dave, especially the way Lampard did one his usual interviews where nothing seemed to be his fault.

• dave u unpinned this topic