You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Leicester (H) - Thu 10th Feb 2022 (7:45pm)

Trumo

3 hours ago, Preston Red said:

The arseholes on BT Sport said it couldn't be a peno as Mo got his shot off. Given that it was the same twat in the middle as the Nonce Derby last season, I'm at a loss as to why it was given when DCL got his shot away and then ran over Trent. The merest of glimpses at the screen was all Kavanagh needed to award the pen that day for the unnamed Premier League player to score.

Yes , they disappear up their own arseholes to justify any tosh they come up with. Didn't somebody get given a penalty a month or two back when the defender slid across to block a shot and clatter into the attacker after a shot was taken and that was ' correct decision '.

Would say though that I don't mind Kavanagh who is one of the few referees whose name doesn't ring alarm bells , and it transpired after the derby that he wasn't dragged to the monitor for a review of the penalty decision it was that VAR was suggesting that Trent be sent off for the incident , so it was actually one of the few occasions where the on the field referee has resisted VAR pressure , and very dismissively too.

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, J-V said:

Pisses me off we've done it the right way and have a great Manager yet won't win as much due to cheating cunts.

Is right.

This team is as good a team as you could wish to see, stands up against our great sides, the mancs dominant teams etc...

Yet due to those cheating bastards Man City iy will never have the success it should have and never quite be regarded as highly as it should be/looked back on how it deserves to be.

It is just so fucking wrong.

• Upvote 6

1 minute ago, an tha said:

Is right.

This team is as good a team as you could wish to see, stands up against our great sides, the mancs dominant teams etc...

Yet due to those cheating bastards Man City iy will never have the success it should have and never quite be regarded as highly as it should be/looked back on how it deserves to be.

It is just so fucking wrong.

We'll know and that's all that matters.

We are absolutely spectacular, genuinely have the best team in the world by quite some distance.

Keeper best in the world, 2 fullbacks best in the world, Van Dijk best CB in the world, Matip one of most naturally gifted defenders I’ve ever seen, Fab and Thiago top class, options of hendo, Keita, ox, Elliot, Milner and Jones for that 3rd spot talk and then Jota, Mo, Sadio, Diaz and Bobby for the front 3.

These are special days, we can legitimately do all 4 this year.

6 hours ago, Preston Red said:

The arseholes on BT Sport said it couldn't be a peno as Mo got his shot off. Given that it was the same twat in the middle as the Nonce Derby last season, I'm at a loss as to why it was given when DCL got his shot away and then ran over Trent. The merest of glimpses at the screen was all Kavanagh needed to award the pen that day for the unnamed Premier League player to score.

As I said, I didnt have a good view of it in the ground cos Im down the other end. Plenty on the Kop thought it should have been a pen though. As for Mo getting his shot in, Ive seen a fair few pens given where the striker has shot and the ball going wide but the defender came in, clattered the striker and had a pen awarded.

Trouble with football now is the officials make it up as they go along and consistency isnt a word in their dictionary. The pundits are just fuckwits and every one of them would be shouting for a pen if it happened to them when playing.

3 hours ago, m0e said:

What a welcome sight that was.

Fabinho and Thiago (both world class, no doubt about it)  absolutely dominating the midfield.

VVD (back to his best) and Matip absolutely dominating at the back.

Diaz, Bobby and Jota not giving their back 4 a second to breathe.

Robbo and Trent covering the entire flanks.

And Alisson cool as fuck, and there when needed.

The only downside to that was Bobby, who is surely done now with Diaz coming in.

Almost every attack (4 in total?) Leicester had started with his inability to control or hold on to the ball.

Diaz looks made for this league. You can already tell he'll be pure quality for us. And he's definitely got a bit of Suarez about him.

I don't agree we missed loads of chances. The only clear cut one we missed was Mo's one on one, which he could have moved onto his left foot quicker.

The other chances were made by our class and persistence 

This was classic title winning stuff:

- dominate possession 

- suffocate the opposition

- wear them down

- use your set pieces

- take one of your big chances

- give nothing away after that

- bring on added quality to kill the game off

Id have liked us to see more goals and be a bit more pressing, especially in the first half.

But yeah spot on and fuck off carragher with his Liverpool should have won more trophies shite. Perhaps he's too busy wiping spit from his eyes so he cant see the obstacle in Liverpool's path, city. Maybe I'll ask carragher why didnt you win the league once or twice between 2000 and 2012? Maybe the obstacle in your path was united winning everything? Cunt.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

As I said, I didnt have a good view of it in the ground cos Im down the other end. Plenty on the Kop thought it should have been a pen though. As for Mo getting his shot in, Ive seen a fair few pens given where the striker has shot and the ball going wide but the defender came in, clattered the striker and had a pen awarded.

Trouble with football now is the officials make it up as they go along and consistency isnt a word in their dictionary. The pundits are just fuckwits and every one of them would be shouting for a pen if it happened to them when playing.

Id have liked us to see more goals and be a bit more pressing, especially in the first half.

But yeah spot on and fuck off carragher with his Liverpool should have won more trophies shite. Perhaps he's too busy wiping spit from his eyes so he cant see the obstacle in Liverpool's path, city. Maybe I'll ask carragher why didnt you win the league once or twice between 2000 and 2012? Maybe the obstacle in your path was united winning everything? Cunt.

I don't think the penalty should have been given last night , but I know a similar one will be over the next week or two.

3 hours ago, El Rojo said:

Jota is officially hunting down Mo Salah for the league's golden boot. Just four between them now. 16 and 12 respectively, with 8 for Sadio a bit further back. 

I mentioned in discussion about Rodgers that I only remember twice that the top 2 scorers in the league were from the same side. We won the league the first time - looks like it could happen again and we still will not win it.

13 hours ago, sir roger said:

Have no idea what the rules are on the flagging of obvious offsides. Sometimes they flag straight away , sometimes the action goes on and then they flag at a random point and sometimes they don't put it up at all.

Frustrates the fuck out of me that.

The pundits are still trying obsessively to make our high press seem like some weirdly complicated problem. That idiot Ferdinand said last night to Van Dyke, 'Virgil, your team plays really high, which is risky although I suppose when it comes off the benefits are obvious,' and Virge understandably looked like he was having to stifle a 'yeah, and your point is?' response. Why do they find it so problematic? It's a great tactic when you've got the rght players and they know how to play it, and most of the time it pays off. They seem to think 'spotting' how a long ball and a fast forward might sometimes pose a problem is an amazing insight. So what? The team plays in a style that is often a joy to watch.

16 hours ago, Nelly-Fauci said:

3 points. Win our other game in hand and hope for the best. 

No really bad performances. Jones could maybe do better. I think Firmino had a decent first half. Van Dijk looked entirely unfazed by anything Leicester could offer attacking wise. Matip a bit shaky with a few semi hospital balls. 

I predicted that Diaz might be given the Klopp settling in period before he’s regularly picked. I’m happy to admit that I was wrong on that. He did well tonight and looks perfectly capable of dealing with the rough and tumble of the Premier League. Salah looked sharp when he came on. And, Jota. He’s boss. He can do it all. Assist. Score goals cutting in. Score goals like a poacher in the box. Score goals with his noggin. A top signing and now a very important player for us. 

We looked hungry out there tonight and the players at least are going about things like there’s still plenty to play for. 

I thought Bobby was poor. Seemed to lack pace and gave it away in some dangerous areas . He started off ok and seemed to be on the same wavelength as Diaz but then it all sort of went wrong.

30 minutes ago, gkmacca said:

The pundits are still trying obsessively to make our high press seem like some weirdly complicated problem. That idiot Ferdinand said last night to Van Dyke, 'Virgil, your team plays really high, which is risky although I suppose when it comes off the benefits are obvious,' and Virge understandably looked like he was having to stifle a 'yeah, and your point is?' response. Why do they find it so problematic? It's a great tactic when you've got the rght players and they know how to play it, and most of the time it pays off. They seem to think 'spotting' how a long ball and a fast forward might sometimes pose a problem is an amazing insight. So what? The team plays in a style that is often a joy to watch.

The benefit of a defined style of play is you get to sign players that fit that style, you'd hope an ex player, especially one who played at the top level as a defender for one of the best managers in the world would be able to make the link between our high line line and our targeting of tall quick centre backs.

• Upvote 1

Someone commented in the Cardiff game thread they thought the pitch looked shit? From my seat last night in the SKD Upper, it looked in good nick.

I saw 3 areas that looked a bit ropey. Both were where leicester players had churned up two 10 metre strips of the pitch during their warm up and short sprints near the SKD touchline. The ground staff managed to make one of these look half decent before the game as it was quite badly churned up.

There was another patch, just inside the Kop half, I think, that looked a bit threadbare near the centre circle about the size of a dining table?

Im not certain if the sprinklers put too much water on the pitch before kick off though. The ball seemed to kick up a rooster tail of water between the edge of the Kop 18 yard box and half way line every time Matip and van Dijk played the ball across this area. A few players were slipping on their arses, Jota in particular just inside the leicester half and ARE goal?

Overall, I thought the pitch looked good.

Excellent result. At times Leicester were good and creative. They seemed short of attacking options, and some of that was due to our defence.

Despite the result, I thought Bobby was poor, Trent was poor and Curtis wasn't great. Thiago, Luis, Jota, Fab, VVD and Harvey (lose the beard, love) were fantastic, as was Mo. Both Robbo and Joel were decent.

Can anybody please tell me why Joel seems incapable of seeing a decent pass other than Virge? It's almost embarassing how many times he just passes sideways to his left. He's a great defender, but truly, it REALLY isn't hard to look for a decent progressive pass.

For the first sixty minutes it seemed like Trent had been told to calm it down and just play the easy ball. So he largely passed it to Joel. When he couldn't get it to Joel, he passed it to Fab, who then passed it to Joel. Guess where the next pass went. 

42 minutes ago, gkmacca said:

Two defensive advantages of the high line. 

1. No chance of conceding a speculative 25-yarder if your opponents only have the ball in your half when they're breaking away.

2. On defending freekicks, the days of our keeper having to come through a sea of bodies to punch or risk an attacker getting a free header are gone. Everyone's roles are now more clearly defined and the prospects of  conceding to a freekcick midway inside our own half are drastically reduced.   

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

Is this the same Jamie Carragher that gave his whole career to this football club, playing 500+ games and was partly responsible for the most memorable night in our club's history? 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, sir roger said:

I don't think the penalty should have been given last night , but I know a similar one will be over the next week or two.

I just don't see how you can conclude that it wasn't a foul, SR. Unless there's some rule (interpretation?) which has escaped my attention these last 50 years that says you can throw in whatever dangerous challenge you like on an opponent and it's not a foul as long as he's already released the ball. Plus, as others have said, there's plenty of precedent for a foul being given e.g. the Trent/DCL incident last year (which was much less clear cut than last night) and as you say yourself, there will be a different interpretation within the coming weeks. 

What's more, in a slightly different situation, if you consider the Pickford/VVD situation, even though the ball was dead because of the eventual offside decision, there was total consensus that Pickford should have been sent off. 

Bottom line, as Dockers said earlier, they make it up as they go along and the likes of Dopey Dermot tie themselves in knots trying to defend the indefensible. And because they lack both integrity and balls they neither come out and explain to us why we're all wrong and they're right or fess up to an honest(!) mistake. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Someone commented in the Cardiff game thread they thought the pitch looked shit? From my seat last night in the SKD Upper, it looked in good nick.

I saw 3 areas that looked a bit ropey. Both were where leicester players had churned up two 10 metre strips of the pitch during their warm up and short sprints near the SKD touchline. The ground staff managed to make one of these look half decent before the game as it was quite badly churned up.

There was another patch, just inside the Kop half, I think, that looked a bit threadbare near the centre circle about the size of a dining table?

Im not certain if the sprinklers put too much water on the pitch before kick off though. The ball seemed to kick up a rooster tail of water between the edge of the Kop 18 yard box and half way line every time Matip and van Dijk played the ball across this area. A few players were slipping on their arses, Jota in particular just inside the leicester half and ARE goal?

Overall, I thought the pitch looked good.

I commented on Sunday that it looked shit as the telly cameras were able to focus in closely on it. It looks very green bit up close you can see real wear on the surface.