You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Boxing 2022

Elite

4 hours ago, Nelly-Matip said:

Surely common sense tells you that it’s a bad idea to try and piss off Mike Tyson? 

https://twitter.com/FightScoutApp/status/1517148272812429313

He was pushing a luggage trolley into my legs at Schiphol in a queue. I turned round telling him to fuck off and got about half way through when I saw who the fuck it was. True story. 

• Upvote 1

The Loneliest Sport 

'This one time just before we signed to fight, we was in Las Vegas. I was there to be on David Brinkley’s Journal, and it didn’t take me no time to find Liston at a gambling table.

People was standing around watching him. He was shooting craps, and I walked up behind him and reached and took some of his chips. He turned around, and I said, 'Man, you can’t shoot dice!' But he was good-humored.

Maybe it was because the people were watching, and maybe he was seeing me helping build up a gate for the fight we were about to sign for—or maybe he was winning something for a change. I don’t know what it was that put him in good spirits, but I just kept right on him.

I’d snatch up the dice from him. I could see I was beginning to get to him a little, but not enough. Finally, I had to shoot a loaded water pistol on him. That did it. 

But he still played it cool, trying to show the people he was trying to humor me. Naturally, the word had spread and people were piling around us.

But then very suddenly, Liston froze me with that look of his. He said real quiet, 'Let’s go on over here,' and he led the way to a table, and the people hung back.

I ain’t going to lie. This was the only time since I have known Sonny Liston that he really scared me. I just felt the power and the meanness of the man I was messing with.

Anybody tell me about how he has fought cops and beat up tough thugs and all of that, I believe it. I saw that streak in him. He told me, 'Get the hell out of here or I’ll wipe you out'.... I got the hell out of there.'

- Muhammad Ali 

FB_IMG_1650662087383.jpg

• Upvote 4

There's a great interview with emanuel steward were he says how good liston was. He beat all the top ten before he got a shot. George Foreman sparred with him and said he was the only man strong enough to push him back, which if you watch George is true. Incidentally famous american football player jim brown trained with George and said he was the strongest man he'd ever seen to put it into perspective 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

Anyone going tonight?

I'm not but my mates working it for BT sport and just sent me a picture of him in the ring with Lewis. Jammy jammy bastard. He worked two of the Fury/Wilder fights in vegas as well. 

Are you going? 

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

I'm not but my mates working it for BT sport and just sent me a picture of him in the ring with Lewis. Jammy jammy bastard. He worked two of the Fury/Wilder fights in vegas as well. 

Are you going? 

I’d love to go to a Fury fight, but Wembley on St George’s day is asking for trouble.

14 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Nah. I'm still hoping we somehow see Joshua v Fury. Unlikely though and I can't see Joshua beating Usyk ever. 

That's true. I like Fury as a boxer but I'm guessing the fight with Joshua will never happen so an upset tonight could make things interesting.

Just now, KMD7 said:

That's true. I like Fury as a boxer but I'm guessing the fight with Joshua will never happen so an upset tonight could make things interesting.

It's the build up I was looking forward to the most. Say what you like about Fury as a person but he's box office. I'm glad they haven't resorted to the usual bollocks in this build up but I'm still expecting a war. 

What an absolutely disgusting undercard for a Wembley event. 

4 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

It's the build up I was looking forward to the most. Say what you like about Fury as a person but he's box office. I'm glad they haven't resorted to the usual bollocks in this build up but I'm still expecting a war. 

What an absolutely disgusting undercard for a Wembley event

Yeah it's absolute wank. I'm hoping the main event will make up for it.

Really interesting interview with Fury from the Grun, he says throughout that 'That's that' and he's done after this, but you know it is probably part of the long term plan to milk the Joshua/Usyk fight for a bigger slice of the purse.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/apr/22/tyson-fury-ill-be-glad-when-its-all-over-no-more-mr-celebrity-boxer