You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Russia v Ukraine

Bjornebye

2 minutes ago, SasaS said:

How about some context? Unlike in Russia, there have been several other changes of government before and after the "coup" in Ukraine. Every time elections fail to produce the administration Russia wants, there is some kind of trouble. Even the guy that was deposed in 2014, and after weeks of mass protests in which he ordered police to repeatedly fire on unarmed demonstrators (as a slightly more heavy handed approach than with Canada truckers), had been ousted only after he accepted the last minute Russian offer of economic aid and cooperation instead of already agreed and parliament-sanctioned deal with the EU.

2 minutes ago, M_B said:

And that gives the Russians reason to invade Ukraine? 

And you don't think invading the crimea and then moving 200k troops to the Ukrainian border is aggressive? 

Right oh. Carry on then. 

Again, I don't want Russia invading anywhere. I don't support anything like that and I don't support Putin, I'd prefer it if he'd actually stop being so corrupt and allow some fair elections and step down. I'm not into authoritarian leaders who think they should forever remain in power.

I support them all working out some way of sorting this out without any type of war.

We're all on the same side, none of us want Russia invading Ukraine.

Some of us are also pointing out the hypocrisy in some of what's going on that's all. If we (as in our populations generally) don't point any of this out and go along with the media and gov propaganda every time, when is anything ever going to change?

2 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

Show me the others then. There was one flag I saw and two confederate flags, one of the guys got called out too and walked off with his face covered. Most people didn't have their faces covered but that guy just happened to be different.

And seeing as that bothered you so much I'm guessing you're really fucking concerned about the Azov Battalion right? Seeing as they aren't just waving flags around but they're being armed by us.

What's worse? An armed battalion of neo-Nazis or a few flags being waved around?

Bullshit merchants like you spreading absolute nonsense and ignoring actual fucking reality. It’s terrifying how little you know but how much you pretend to know 

32 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Bullshit merchants like you spreading absolute nonsense and ignoring actual fucking reality. It’s terrifying how little you know but how much you pretend to know 

Whatever. Hail the empire, down with Putin.

We stand with our allies,

We declare our intention to uphold the international rules based order,

We won't back down to Russian aggression,

It's only a battalion of Nazis, etc.

4 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

Has the media or any leaders from the EU, US or Canada voiced concerns about the neo-Nazi Azov Battalion in the Ukraine recently?

I'm just asking because one idiot with one swastika flag was apparently enough to denounce an entire weeks long protest in Canada that's got worldwide attention, but sending millions worth of weapons from all over the place to the Ukraine seems ok.

If you're not getting it yet : it's called hypocrisy.

Well, as long as people aren't hypocritical. That's the most important thing to consider when talking about the defence of a sovereign nation against an aggressive oligarchy. 

8 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Well, as long as people aren't hypocritical. That's the most important thing to consider when talking about the defence of a sovereign nation against an aggressive oligarchy. 

I think it's one aggressive oligarchy against another and that Ukraine is just the latest country stuck in the middle of it.

2 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

E9DF3A19-E25A-4985-A9BB-1B77BA8202AC.jpeg

You don't have to be an expert in anything at all to point out that Nazi's aren't the best bunch to be arming. Same with pointing out that covid passes and mandates aren't good for us either.

7 hours ago, M_B said:

I find all this interesting from an historical perspective.

When we study WW2, we think the decision to go to war was made with the full support of the nation. In reality it wasn't - many had misgivings. Many didn't want war after the experience of WW1, and many felt communism was the true enemy rather than Nazism. Many were even sympathetic to Germany's territorial claims.

Declaring war on Germany was not supported by the entire nation - many defended Germany and spoke about Britain's hipocrisy and the military industrial influence just like Red Phoenix and Gnasher are doing in this thread. You can see why the spreading of 5th columnist rumours would have been so effective.

Sutely the hypocrisy claims would have been more valid in ww1 where we moved against German expansionism,despite having the biggest empire in the world?

2 minutes ago, Redder Lurtz said:

Not arsed about the bickering. Let's be honest, Putin is being a total cunt. Anyone tell me if this is likely to go nuclear?

Me and Mrs Lurtz have just bought a motorhome. Welsh mountains or Scottish Highlands? 

Get your arse to Mars 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Redder Lurtz said:

Not arsed about the bickering. Let's be honest, Putin is being a total cunt. Anyone tell me if this is likely to go nuclear?

Me and Mrs Lurtz have just bought a motorhome. Welsh mountains or Scottish Highlands? 

If it goes nuclear mate, it doesn't matter were you are, you'll be knackered eventually!

• Upvote 1