You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Russia v Ukraine

Bjornebye

28 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

And more importantly, who gives a shit?

On Tom or something else? I do because I find it interesting how propaganda and media work in general and it is all the more interesting in the situation of war and what threatens to become a global confrontation. How immersion works in this war, units having their own social media accounts and channels and almost competing for likes.

7 minutes ago, SasaS said:

On Tom or something else? I do because I find it interesting how propaganda and media work in general and it is all the more interesting in the situation of war and what threatens to become a global confrontation. How immersion works in this war, units having their own social media accounts and channels and almost competing for likes.

On Tom. I’m sick of his whinging already. People are dying out there, man. 

1 hour ago, SasaS said:

Facebook restricting someone's profile or banning them isn't something strange, it's normal and has been for some time now. Same for Twitter, Instagram, Youtube.

This is why people have been saying for years now that it's not a good idea to class free speech as some type of right wing thing or brand so many alternative sites right wing (like for instance Telegram that was "right wing" during covid but is now used by many Ukrainians) when people banned eventually go elsewhere.

If anyone's gained a following for themselves updating on politics/war/health issues on Youtube/Instagram/Twitter/Facebook they should have backup accounts elsewhere for if/when they run into problems.

Have you got his medium link? I usually skipped most of what he said but always read what he posted about the East.

2 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Facebook restricting someone's profile or banning them isn't something strange, it's normal and has been for some time now. Same for Twitter, Instagram, Youtube.

This is why people have been saying for years now that it's not a good idea to class free speech as some type of right wing thing or brand so many alternative sites right wing (like for instance Telegram that was "right wing" during covid but is now used by many Ukrainians) when people banned eventually go elsewhere.

If anyone's gained a following for themselves updating on politics/war/health issues on Youtube/Instagram/Twitter/Facebook they should have backup accounts elsewhere for if/when they run into problems.

Have you got his medium link? I usually skipped most of what he said but always read what he posted about the East.

I know they have been doing it, what is strange are the reasons and lack of logic or consistency, as I explained. That is why I spoke against platform providers - private companies - having the right to decide the limits of free speech.

https://medium.com/@x_TomCooper_x

• Upvote 1

Just now, SasaS said:

I know they have been doing it, what is strange are the reasons and lack of logic or consistency, as I explained. That is why I spoke against platform providers - private companies - having the right to decide the limits of free speech.

https://medium.com/@x_TomCooper_x

Yeah there's usually a lack of logic, it's been insane. Cheers for the link too.

10 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

I’d hope that the Russians would pay through the reparations you’ve been banging on about. Oh, have you though? 

Give them a chance to lose, but sure, whatever the international community thinks appropriate.

5 hours ago, SasaS said:

Further on Tom, it seems some Indian author complained and got him restricted, it is not clear on what grounds, the author is, judging by his own social media activity, politically anti-Western and pro-Russia in this conflict. As far as I remember, Cooper previously criticized India for using the conflict to negotiate a discount in Russian arms supplies. Allegedly from what I can gather, the complaint was that Cooper was an "aggregator of misinformation" paid by a third party to do so or something. At the same time, the complainant's Twitter is full of much worse bullshit.

WTF is going on here?

I’m guessing Tom issuing said Indian with a certificate as a ‘certified idiot’ probably didn’t help.

Has he ever stopped to think that people around the world might want to use the symbol for other reasons? Stopping to think isn't exactly a major trait in authoritarians though I suppose.

Anyway yeah we should do it, then if we have those anarchists bothering us in the future we could look at banning the A symbol next, then we can just deal with the other letter symbols when we need to.

• Downvote 1

Today's Guardian live updates :

Face-to-face peace talks between Ukraine and Russia are likely to start in Turkey today after negotiators arrived in Istanbul for their first face-to-face peace talks in more than two weeks. Both sides have played down the chances of a major breakthrough and a senior US official said Vladimir Putin did not appear ready to compromise.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2022/mar/29/russia-ukraine-war-latest-news-live-updates-putin-moscow-kremlin-zelenskiy-kyiv-russian-invasion?page=with:block-62429fa68f08118734a746e8#block-62429fa68f08118734a746e8

Maybe the US can compromise on trying to prolong a war at the expense of Ukrainian lives?

Yesterday's Guardian live updates :

Here are updates on where ceasefire negotiations between Russia and Ukraine currently stand, from the Financial Times’ Max Seddon, Roman Olearchyk, and Henry Foy:

Russia is no longer requesting Ukraine be “denazified” and is prepared to let Kyiv join the European Union if it remains military non-aligned as part of ongoing ceasefire negotiations, according to four people briefed on the discussions.

Moscow and Kyiv are discussing a pause in hostilities as part of a possible deal that would involve Ukraine abandoning its drive for Nato membership in exchange for security guarantees and the prospect to join the EU, the people said under the condition of anonymity because the matter is not yet finalised.

The draft ceasefire document does not contain any discussion of three of Russia’s initial core demands — “denazification”, “demilitarisation”, and legal protection for the Russian language in Ukraine — the people added. Envoys from both sides meet in Istanbul on Tuesday in a fourth round of peace talks designed to end president Vladimir Putin’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine.

The concessions on Russia’s side come as its month-long ground offensive has largely stalled as a result of fiercer Ukrainian resistance than expected and Russian operational deficiencies.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2022/mar/28/russia-ukraine-war-latest-news-zelenskiy-putin-live-updates?page=with:block-62420ed28f0867da3721aaeb#block-62420ed28f0867da3721aaeb

• Downvote 1

https://www.thedailybeast.com/gonzalo-lira-is-a-pro-putin-shill-in-ukraine-and-a-sleazy-manosphere-dating-coach

Colour me surprised. 

Michael, the extremism expert who’s watched Lira for years, said that he’s always sprinkled anti-Western, anti-globalism rhetoric into his videos—like many in the manosphere. But also like some in the wider manosphere, he’s seemingly grown more conspiratorial over time. In 2021 especially, his Telegram and Twitter featured a veritable best-of list of pandemic conspiracy theories—about the supposed dangers of COVID-19 vaccines, nefarious purpose behind lockdowns, and plan to use the pandemic to take away freedoms and implement totalitarianism.

As late as mid-March of this year, Lira was offendedly posting things like, “Thank God I am #PureBlood.” This is a common term of self-identification and pride among anti-vaxxer COVID conspiracists who refuse the shots.

Over the next few months, his remaining social-media channels dropped the occasional bit of toxic and hateful relationship advice. Last month, for example, he responded to a question posed to him on Telegram about whether someone should distance themself from their girlfriend if she chose to get vaccinated: “A woman who’s been vaxed [sic] is useless except as a cum dumpster,” because she must be sterile. (For the Nth time, the COVID-19 vaccines do not cause sterility.)

But he seemed to largely shift over to COVID conspiracy commentary, and the occasional note on a supposed coming geopolitical storm. However, as late as mid-February, he insisted that Russia would never invade Ukraine, and that fears about a coming invasion were all drummed up by Western propaganda, pointed out Alex MacKenzie, an expert on Ukraine and its history of conflict with Russia at the United Kingdom’s University of Liverpool who reviewed a fair amount of Lira’s recent videos and posts. Lira now insists in interviews that he saw the invasion coming well ahead of time—because he’s smart like that.