You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

US Election 2020 Thread

Bjornebye

Don't quite understand it but I've read some patter that maybe the democrats can increase the size of the supreme court if they win, and negate the fact it's been stacked with biblical loons? 

It's mad America isn't it? Utterly bonkers. @Anubis will know far better than me but I bet if you rounded up 100 British judges and put them in a room, they'd all be largely similar. They'd be well into the law, probably hate anything that disrespects the law - including a government that attempts to do so - all probably have a penchant for high end spirits, cigars/pipes, smoking jackets and the like. I doubt you'd get one who's an uber liberal and then one who believes the Earth is 6,000 years old and Adam and Eve rode around on dinosaurs. 

• Upvote 2

That’s fairly accurate. All I’ll say is that our judiciary are actually pretty good and on the whole fair. You get the odd one who likes handing out a good stiff sentence to everyone, but most are pretty good. You’re more likely to encounter the little Hitlers on the bench on the magistrates’ court.

16 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Don't quite understand it but I've read some patter that maybe the democrats can increase the size of the supreme court if they win, and negate the fact it's been stacked with biblical loons? 

@Anubis

Yes, I believe there is no actual limit on numbers in the statutes,  so technically if Biden wins and gains a majority in the senate he could simply have another 4 elected to make it 7-6 instead of 3-6.

One week before the 2016 election Fivethirtyeight were forecasting a 68% chance of Clinton winning against a 32% chance of Trump, and the numbers had been closing dramatically for a few days since James Comey dropped a massive log on proceedings.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/ 

This time, with one week to go, they're forecasting an 88% chance for Biden and 12% chance for Trump, with the numbers still widening steadily.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2020-election-forecast/ 

22 hours ago, Section_31 said:

It's mad America isn't it? Utterly bonkers. @Anubis will know far better than me but I bet if you rounded up 100 British judges and put them in a room, they'd all be largely similar. They'd be well into the law, probably hate anything that disrespects the law - including a government that attempts to do so - all probably have a penchant for high end spirits, cigars/pipes, smoking jackets and the like. I doubt you'd get one who's an uber liberal and then one who believes the Earth is 6,000 years old and Adam and Eve rode around on dinosaurs. 

I know one judge (well, retired judge) and you've absolutely nailed him there! Drives a Bentley, wears a lot of tweed, won't finish a meal without a brandy or a cigar (or both). Great bloke.

16 minutes ago, Manny said:

I know one judge (well, retired judge) and you've absolutely nailed him there! Drives a Bentley, wears a lot of tweed, won't finish a meal without a brandy or a cigar (or both). Great bloke.

Used to see them quite often in an old job, one always had food down his top, an other I'm fairly certain was narcoleptic, he adjourned sentencing over the weekend once because he said he was  too tired and moody to think. The barrister started kicking off saying he was busy on Monday and the judge basically said if he did it now he'd send his client down purely because he was so goosed and pissed off.

Anubis is spot on too about the magistrates thing. Was chatting to a court clerk once and she was saying judges were often far more understanding and lenient on working class people than magistrates were, because even though they were upper class they'd spent time as solicitors/barristers dealing with real people and seeing their everyday problems. 

Covered this case years ago in my local rag days, it wasn't long after the coalition got in and they'd properly weaponsied the DWP press office. They were phoning us all the time about this 'great case' of a woman who'd defrauded about 100 grand in benefits. 'you have to be here for this one, she's going down!'. She'd been claiming too much money and spending it on online bingo. 

Anyway, judge let her off with a suspended sentence because she had a disabled son and he had a disabled son. Basically said he felt her pain and that it'd do nobody any good for her son to be without her if she got sent down. DWP gestapo were apoplectic, weapons grade titty lips. It was tremendous. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Used to see them quite often in an old job, one always had food down his top, an other I'm fairly certain was narcoleptic, he adjourned sentencing over the weekend once because he said he was  too tired and moody to think. The barrister started kicking off saying he was busy on Monday and the judge basically said if he did it now he'd send his client down purely because he was so goosed and pissed off.

Anubis is spot on too about the magistrates thing. Was chatting to a court clerk once and she was saying judges were often far more understanding and lenient on working class people than magistrates were, because even though they were upper class they'd spent time as solicitors/barristers dealing with real people and seeing their everyday problems. 

Covered this case years ago in my local rag days, it wasn't long after the coalition got in and they'd properly weaponsied the DWP press office. They were phoning us all the time about this 'great case' of a woman who'd defrauded about 100 grand in benefits. 'you have to be here for this one, she's going down!'. She'd been claiming too much money and spending it on online bingo. 

Anyway, judge let her off with a suspended sentence because she had a disabled son and he had a disabled son. Basically said he felt her pain and that it'd do nobody any good for her son to be without her if she got sent down. DWP gestapo were apoplectic, weapons grade titty lips. It was tremendous. 

Obviously an Enemy of the People.

1 hour ago, Brownie said:

The Cook Political Report just moved Texas out of the “Lean Republican” pile and into the “Toss Up” pile.

That basically means it’s expected to be between 2%-4% margin. 

Not sure Biden will win but something is definitely going on in Texas. 91% of the 2016 vote there already. Crazy. 

2 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

Not sure Biden will win but something is definitely going on in Texas. 91% of the 2016 vote there already. Crazy. 

Wow, an absolute landslide thrashing would be superb. I just hope those heavy early polling figures aren't a mirage like they were in the 2019 UK election (although that was more anecdotal, this seems to have a lot more substance).

2 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Wow, an absolute landslide thrashing would be superb. I just hope those heavy early polling figures aren't a mirage like they were in the 2019 UK election (although that was more anecdotal, this seems to have a lot more substance).

I'm surprised the media are reporting on it with such gusto. Could simply be that people are voting differently because of COVID.

11 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Hundreds of President Donald Trump's supporters were left in the freezing cold for hours after a rally at an airfield in Omaha, Nebraska, on Tuesday night, with some walking around 3 miles to waiting buses and others being taken away in ambulances.

I saw a couple of Tweets about that. The cunt had them bussed in, fucked off on his jet at the end and apparently had nothing laid on to take the deplorables back.

• Upvote 1