You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Arsenal (H) League Cup - 1/10/20 - 19:45

Bjornebye

We were clearly the better side and should have taken our chances. Not the end of the world, especially thinking we would have had to play City on 22 or 23 December. 

But it would have been nice for the youngsters to have gotten at least one more game. I thought mini VVD did really well same with Grujic. 

I reckon Origi is gone or at least we are trying. Grujic, Wilson and Brewster the same. Shaq seems pretty much done. Anyone else ?

Just now, Aw Geez said:

Always pissed off when we go out but fuck it, reduce the crammed schedule a touch with the worst cup on the list. Hopefully we can take the FA cup seriously this year.

To be honest I think we did this year let's face it if we had gotten the kind of draws Everton, Newcastle or City have had we'd be in the quarters , same with the FA Cup if we get decent draws we'll go very far in that competition and then everyone will say "oh Klopp's finally taking it serious"

We've some pretty shite draws the last few years in both domestic competitions and although that is as they say the luck of the draw as City find out regularly it certainly helps.

If anyone calls out Souness for the failure he was then you get the odd one saying "yeah but he won the FA Cup" and yes he did but during that run the only top flight side he met were Villa who finished 7th at home in the 6th round.

Get a similar run this year and we win the cup

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Stickman said:

To be honest I think we did this year let's face it if we had gotten the kind of draws Everton, Newcastle or City have had we'd be in the quarters , same with the FA Cup if we get decent draws we'll go very far in that competition and then everyone will say "oh Klopp's finally taking it serious"

We've some pretty shite draws the last few years in both domestic competitions and although that is as they say the luck of the draw as City find out regularly it certainly helps.

If anyone calls out Souness for the failure he was then you get the odd one saying "yeah but he won the FA Cup" and yes he did but during that run the only top flight side he met were Villa who finished 7th at home in the 6th round.

Get a similar run this year and we win the cup

We will get a Premier league club in the 3rd or 4th round of the FA cup, you can guarantee it.

I didn't think anyone had a bad game. Overall we clearly had the better of a game against a theoretically stronger team. Wilson did ok apart from his penalty and whilst not good enough for our squad he would do a good job for lots of teams in the Prem. 

• Upvote 1

Never nice to lose but I didn’t lose any sleep over it. 

As somebody above said, not having to play Citeh just before Xmas (and then any semi final in the New Year) could be a blessing. 

Let Arsenal and Citeh knacker each other out while we pull clear again. 

First time I’ve ever thought Grujic looked like a player capable of playing at premier league level, albeit not good enough for us, so that was a positive of sorts.

easily the least impactful Jones has been for us, but not reading anything into it.

Rhys Williams looked a lot better than against Lincoln, so another positive.

Jota looked good.

other than that, not much to take from it for me. Would’ve been good to win but losing this one rather than the game Monday night is certainly the preference.

never mind.

• Upvote 2

Im disappointed we lost on pens. But overall, it is indisputable spurs, arsenal, united and chelsea are where we were for much of the 90's to 3 or 4 seasons ago. And that is chasing the domestic cups rather than fighting for the title and or the CL.

There's only city with their vast wealth who can regularly compete for the 4 trophies. And it took them about 10 to 12 years after mansour bought them to achieve that.

The positives from last night for me was that our 2nd team was a crossbar's width from scoring in the 90 minutes. Adrian made some good saves.

Oh, and I think anyone intimating Klopp 'doesnt care' is the same kind of twat that gave Neco Williams dogs abuse on twatter.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Im disappointed we lost on pens. But overall, it is indisputable spurs, arsenal, united and chelsea are where we were for much of the 90's to 3 or 4 seasons ago. And that is chasing the domestic cups rather than fighting for the title and or the CL.

There's only city with their vast wealth who can regularly compete for the 4 trophies. And it took them about 10 to 12 years after mansour bought them to achieve that.

The positives from last night for me was that our 2nd team was a crossbar's width from scoring in the 90 minutes. Adrian made some good saves.

Oh, and I think anyone intimating Klopp 'doesnt care' is the same kind of twat that gave Neco Williams dogs abuse on twatter.

In a few positions it was more like our third team! 

3 hours ago, Anubis said:

Why? He’ll be gone by the end of the transfer window. And he didn’t show anything last night to make us think that would be the wrong decision.  Grujic is also transfer listed but showed that he’s actually a really good midfielder who’d probably be worth keeping if we didn’t have an abundance of riches there.

Oh i am not saying he shouldn't be gone or he would ever be good enough etc....just saying it must feel pretty shit to wait all those years and when it finally happens you put in an invisible performance and miss a crucial pen in a shoot out - and that be the net result of your only full appearance for the club.

11 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Maybe he knows Jones, Grujic and Wilson better than you do.  Just a thought, like.  The fact is that the side he put out today were only denied a win by a string of excellent saves from Arsenal's first-choice keeper.

You say you "don't know what to tell me" - I've already told you what to tell me.  Tell me which cup tie we have lost because Klopp deliberately put out a team that wasn't good enough to win (when better players were available) and you'll persuade me that he's not arsed.  

Hold on, he put out a team last night when better players were available. Whether or not it was good enough to win... hmm, maybe but it didn't. The 'I don't think he's arsed' is probably closer to 'not a priority'. I, for one, couldn't give a fuck about the Carabao cup. Certainly not if we need to play players like Salah and Virg who could pick up an injury and miss the stuff I do care about. 

31 minutes ago, Trojan1892 said:

Origi is terrible, can’t live off a couple of goals against the shite and Barca.

I don’t think he’s arsed in general, happy to be a bit part player and pick up a wage.... treats it like a job.

Agreed 

I would rather have kept Brewster

49 minutes ago, Trojan1892 said:

Origi is terrible, can’t live off a couple of goals against the shite and Barca.

I don’t think he’s arsed in general, happy to be a bit part player and pick up a wage.... treats it like a job.

Been saying that for ages.

I don't think it says much for him that he's prepared to be 4th to 6th choice, it shows on the field too.

On 29/09/2020 at 17:35, Doctor Troy said:

If Arsenal win it will be more proof that Arteta has Klopps number. 

Nah, the Charity Shield proved that already.   QED.

(I'm saying it again, as this double post leaves me little choice.

When we beat them at Emirates later this season, it will be confirmed without a shadow of a doubt.)

Well anything can happen in football but, the only way I see arsenal getting past city is if arteta plays his strongest line up and city field a vastly inferior team.

Spurs to beat stoke, Newcastle to beat Brentford (just), city to beat arsenal, mancs to beat the shite. I predict a spurs city final with city winning.

21 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Well anything can happen in football but, the only way I see arsenal getting past city is if arteta plays his strongest line up and city field a vastly inferior team.

Spurs to beat stoke, Newcastle to beat Brentford (just), city to beat arsenal, mancs to beat the shite. I predict a spurs city final with city winning.

Well, they beat then 2-0 in the FA semi in July