You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

This VE Day thing.

18 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I can't believe the guy whose avatar is a Star of David with a prohibition sign through it turned out to be a Nazi apologist, who could have seen that coming.

No one has apologies for nazis. 

Very fitting for the Zionist scumbag to make false anti semitic claims. 

3 minutes ago, TK421 said:

Boris's wilful complacency over coronavirus has more than a whiff of Neville Chamberlain's appeasement about it.  There is also concern that this pandemic will be a breeding ground for far right extremism.   Worrying times, bro. 

Why would the far right grow as a result of this?  

I think Boris is drinking at the last chance saloon.  

A 2nd peak would be General Election territory.  

They can't do anything worse than they're doing without actually directing the police and military to bash the heads of dissenters in.  The country is a tinderbox, waiting for a reason to do something.  We can't be made to fight a war, there is no enemy to fight.  China?  No way, they're our best buddies for a Brexit deal.  America, same.  Wait, in fact every country, with very few exceptions, is our best buddy, as they are all potential business partners now.

So, do we blame immigrants, or BAME, for our predicament?  Well, we just flew-in immigrants to pick our fruit, and established immigrants support our NHS, they're heroes to most people now.

Black people are apparently bearing the brunt of deaths, 4 to 1 likelihood over whites in terms of dying from c19. So there's no reason to pick on them, so hmmm, where is the rationale behind any message the far right would use? 

And to what end would it serve the Tories to have the far right faction grow?  The Tories just had a bunch of them flock their way at the 2019 GE. 

?

This thread shows just how fucking ridiculous this forum is becoming. 

VE Day is about celebrating/surviving the defeat of fascism but I look at some of the shite thats been posted, culminating in Grinch's contributions, and wonder how some posters manage get through the day carrying around that much sneering hate and bile.  

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Whatever side they were on?  Jesus. 

I may well have missed the context to this, but plenty of Germans, Italians and Japanese fought because they really had no other choice. Not everyone was a right wing nut. Most were just fighting to stay alive, to keep their friends alive and not to dishonour their families. In that context it is right to see them as victims of fascism and war, and to think that we would have done anything different in their shoes ignores that we are all products of our society.

There is nothing shameful about feeling sorry for them whilst being thankful they lost. I certainly felt that walking around the German cemetery in Normandy after the British and American cemeteries.

Like I said though I may have missed the context. The thread is a bit of disaster and have skipped parts.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, M_B said:

I may well have missed the context to this, but plenty of Germans, Italians and Japanese fought because they really had no other choice. Not everyone was a right wing nut. Most were just fighting to stay alive, to keep their friends alive and not to dishonour their families. In that context it is right to see them as victims of fascism and war, and to think that we would have done anything different in their shoes ignores that we are all products of our society.

There is nothing shameful about feeling sorry for them whilst being thankful they lost. I certainly felt that walking around the German cemetery in Normandy after the British and American cemeteries.

Like I said though I may have missed the context. The thread is a bit of disaster and have skipped parts.

Ok. Maybe I’ll give you that. But all Tories are cunts, all Tories deserve to be...

so, we give Nazis a bit of leeway but anyone who doesn’t vote Labour is...

fucking mental! 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

48 minutes ago, A Red said:

This thread shows just how fucking ridiculous this forum is becoming. 

VE Day is about celebrating/surviving the defeat of fascism but I look at some of the shite thats been posted, culminating in Grinch's contributions, and wonder how some posters manage get through the day carrying around that much sneering hate and bile.  

It’s funny and scary at the same time. 

Is it one or two years ago there was a rally held in London for a party leader?  

5 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

It’s funny and scary at the same time. 

Is it one or two years ago there was a rally held in London for a party leader?  

Now we're meant to be worried that celebrating the defeat of fascism might trigger a rise in fascism because people are flying flags and bunting and are very probably fascists. As you say, fucking mental.

• Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, A Red said:

Now we're meant to be worried that celebrating the defeat of fascism might trigger a rise in fascism because people are flying flags and bunting and are very probably fascists. As you say, fucking mental.

But, we shouldn’t be too hard on the old fascists as they weren’t all real fascists they were tricked.  I mean, who hasn’t been tricked into operating death camps? But we’ll be ok because all the Nazis get punched but at the same time they are taking over. 

• Upvote 1

I’ve read and watched plenty of stuff about WW2. If I’m ever bored and can’t think of anything to watch on TV I’ll lash an episode of ‘The World at War’ on and watch it for the twelfth time. I get the sacrifices people made and like anyone else struggle to comprehend just how many people died fighting. That said, this point still stands...

On 07/05/2020 at 18:02, Captain Turdseye said:

Serious question. What percentage of these people arranging or participating in VE Day street parties do you think actually give a shit or even know the first thing about WW2? 

I’d wager that for the vast, vast majority, it’s just an excuse to go out into the street to be part of something. There wouldn’t even be suggestions of street parties and the like if it wasn’t for the lockdown. 

... more so this year than ever before. I had my back door open earlier (oo-er) and the ‘parties’ people were having in the neighbourhood were set to a soundtrack of drum ‘n’ bass and Lewis Capaldi. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I’ve read and watched plenty of stuff about WW2. If I’m ever bored and can’t think of anything to watch on TV I’ll lash an episode of ‘The World at War’ on and watch it for the twelfth time. I get the sacrifices people made and like anyone else struggle to comprehend just how many people died fighting. That said, this point still stands...

... more so this year than ever before. I had my back door open earlier (oo-er) and the ‘parties’ people were having in the neighbourhood were set to a soundtrack of drum ‘n’ bass and Lewis Capaldi. 

You live in a shit neighbourhood. 

1 hour ago, Rico1304 said:

Whatever side they were on?  Jesus. 

Not sure what side ethnic Germans peasants were on in the Sudetenland after the war, when they were routinely murdered in reprisal.

But them's the breaks for having a crackpot, murdering former leader I guess.

Celebration or remembrance.  Victory or loss.  

To each their own.

5 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

So when you go to a wedding exactly how much of the celebration do you put aside to thinking about the future of the bride and groom? Is is 5 or 6 mins? I’m sure you fuck straight off them before you go off piste and spoil the sanctity of the day. 

1 hour ago, Grinch said:

Yes, free to continue to rape, torture and abuse those that can't fight back. 

Yeah, Captain, I've been meaning to have a word with you about that. You know, you really should consider stopping that sort of behaviour; it's really not on.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, A Red said:

Some wonky dot-joining here.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Rico1304 said:

So when you go to a wedding exactly how much of the celebration do you put aside to thinking about the future of the bride and groom? Is is 5 or 6 mins? I’m sure you fuck straight off them before you go off piste and spoil the sanctity of the day. 

Haven’t been to a wedding for years. Last time I was invited to one I fucked it off and went to some boxing instead. 

1 hour ago, M_B said:

Fascist.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Repped for watching The World At War.