You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

This VE Day thing.

22 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Russians, Yanks and British couldn't have won without each other IMO, or without the resistance groups operating around the world, if you'd taken any of it out of the mix and right now we'd all be driving German cars and shopping in German supermarkets, in a country with vastly inferior infrastructure and possibly even at the mercy of a global pandemic with which Germany was successfully grappling and we were not. 

Nah, the Nazi dream was doomed from the start, it never stood a chance and so it proved.

9 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Nah, the Nazi dream was doomed from the start, it never stood a chance and so it proved.

They played the Churchill victory speech on LBC earlier.  It was all about the collective effort, no nationalism, no jingoism. 

6 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

I'd agree with that.

As far as daft ideas go, them taking over the World was certainly up there with the likes of feminism & that speedy up ending Black Sabbath used on War Pigs.

2 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

It still occasionally shocks me the difference in wartime experience between the UK and places like the Netherlands and France. My parents' generation would talk about air raids and evacuation and their fathers going to fight; people from the occupied countries would have far more terrible family memories. 

Back in Runcorn, in the 1980s, my then girlfriend's mum had a couple from Holland come to stay with her; Carel and Betty van Druten. Carel had been an injured airman that my ex's mum had treated when she was a nurse in Scotland during the war. They were really close and he had even proposed to her. After the war, he had become a prominent trade unionist, but when he retired he had a massive breakdown.  The doctors told him that it was all his wartime memories, which his brain had drowned out by keeping busy with work, had come back with a vengeance.  They suggested he reconnect with people he knew from that time, which is how he suddenly pitched up in Runcorn. 

As well as his own personal horrors of combat, he had to deal with the loss of many friends and relatives, who were arrested, tortured and killed because they were working for the Resistance. After the war, he found out that the collaborator who betrayed them to the  Nazis was his own sister.

Shit like that takes some getting over.

Betty was also fascinating.  She had also nursed Carel, but she fell in love with him. At the end of the war, she went alone to the Netherlands, not speaking a word of Dutch and not knowing whether Carel was dead or alive; but she was determined to find him and marry him and she did both. That single-minded strength of character might have been a family trait, because her nephew was Graeme Sounness. They made a few visits over, during which they divided their time between a council house in Murdishaw and Souey's fancy-pants mansion.

That's great. 

8 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Apparently there was a distinct mental disorder that developed in German troops because Russia was so fucking big. Apparently some of them used to just look at the endless steppes and go bonkers. "Where's the next town?" "800 miles" what's between here and there? "Nowt."

I’d imagine that the mental disorder possibly had something to do with the fact that they were smacked off their tits in order to give them the courage to carry on against impossible odds.

It doesnt affect me over here in Ireland but i see on fb pics some of my mum's family and neighbour's i grew up with in York celebrating in their front gardens today. Lovely people and I hope they have a great day. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

Everyone on my street has gas masks on. 

I am literally the only person on the street who

isnt outside having a socially distanced party.  

You been farting again Ste ? 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Chris said:

Christ there's some miserable killjoy fuckers on here. Let people have something to feel good about for one day, for fuck's sake. 

I wouldn't say 'feel good' after a war which killed so many on all sides,but would say its about showing respect and thanking those who participated(home and abroad) for their sacrifices. There must have been a fantastic sense of relief after what went before and its always been something I have always wondered how my family and millions of others felt back then. There must also have been some regret given how some servicemen and women were still imprisoned and fighting the Japanese. A whirlpool of emotions I imagine.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I wouldn't say 'feel good' after a war which killed so many on all sides,but would say its about showing respect and thanking those who participated(home and abroad) for their sacrifices. There must have been a fantastic sense of relief after what went before and its always been something I have always wondered how my family and millions of others felt back then. There must also have been some regret given how some servicemen and women were still imprisoned and fighting the Japanese. A whirlpool of emotions I imagine.

I would, all the sacrifices they made paid off, everything they endured was rewarded with the destruction of one of the most evil regimes ever known, their descendants are free today because of their sacrifice. If that’s not a time for celebration I don’t know what is. Let people celebrate if they want to, as has been said, if you’re not happy you’re free to draw your curtains.

• Upvote 2

Some fella off Radio City who lives up the road from me is on his front with his decks out. He is married to Shanks granddaughter. Its nice that people are remembering the sacrifice. What winds me up though is those who won't take a single moment to stop and reflect to themselves exactly why they are stood their , in the sun, rejoicing. Most know, those that don't do but are too ignorant to appreciate what it is all about. 

To those that have served, we salute you. Steady boys, steady x 

4 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Some fella off Radio City who lives up the road from me is on his front with his decks out. He is married to Shanks granddaughter. Its nice that people are remembering the sacrifice. What winds me up though is those who won't take a single moment to stop and reflect to themselves exactly why they are stood their , in the sun, rejoicing. Most know, those that don't do but are too ignorant to appreciate what it is all about. 

To those that have served, we salute you. Steady boys, steady x 

What about the ones who do t take a moment to stop and reflect whilst sneering and sniping?  They are the real cunts. 

• Upvote 1

Some of the cunts celebrating will be the same cunts that don't give a fuck about what has happened in care homes lately.   "theyre old and would have died anyway" 

Free my ass.   The allies were scum too and those in power today are just as bad 

25 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

What about the ones who do t take a moment to stop and reflect whilst sneering and sniping?  They are the real cunts. 

Not sure if thats a dig at me. If it is then I'll send you a picture of my dick x 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Grinch said:

Some of the cunts celebrating will be the same cunts that don't give a fuck about what has happened in care homes lately.   "theyre old and would have died anyway" 

Free my ass.   The allies were scum too and those in power today are just as bad 

Fucksake, I doubt you would be happy whatever country you lived in, under any regime " , I feel that there's something wrong" have you got those revolution blues? 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

Fucksake, I doubt you would be happy whatever country you lived in, under any regime " , I feel that there's something wrong" have you got those revolution blues? 

The union jack has more.bloodshed on it then a swastika ever will.   Fly it proud though, have fun x

• Downvote 3