You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

1 hour ago, suzy said:

A bit of a chavvy girl I used to work with was moaning all over Facebook she wanted a holiday. Anyway she flew out to Malaga on Monday,  it was just for a few nights and she got back just before they announced the 14 day quarantine from Spain. Is it bad I was a bit gutted she didn’t have to go into quarantine?! I can just imagine her constant moaning if she had!

I don't even know the bitch and I'm gutted too. 

• Upvote 1

Here we go, the fucking horrible cunts. It wasn’t their shit handling of the matter and fuckwit decision making, it was poor people all along.

During his statement in the House of Lords earlier Lord Bethell, the health minister, said that the “decisions that people make” helped to explain why people in poor areas were more likely to die from coronavirus than people in wealthy areas.

He was responding to a question from the former Labour cabinet minister Lord Reid, who asked about an ONS report published last Friday saying that in England the mortality rate for deaths involving coronavirus in the most deprived areas (139.6 deaths per 100,000) was more than double what it was in the least deprived areas (63.4 deaths per 100,000 population).

In response, Bethell said that this was a sensitive subject and that he felt emotional thinking about it. But he went on:

[Read] is entirely right that those who are least advantaged in society are hardest hit by this disease, and by lots of other diseases.

And there are behavioural reasons for that, the decisions that people make about social distancing, about their own health decisions, and there are environmental reasons, about living conditions and the places in which they live, neither of which detract from the fact that this is a very sad and upsetting truth. 

But we are extremely conscious of the challenge, as we are with all the health inequalities. 

The particular lever that we are focused on is trying to get our message out to hard-to-reach communities who may not have heard the important messages on hygiene, on social distancing and on isolation, and we have in place a programme of marketing in order to reach these communities to communicate these important messages.

Bethell may subsequently decide that he did not phrase this very tactfully. One of the major “social distancing” factors that helps to explain why poor people have been much more likely to die from coronavirus than wealthy people is the fact that virus is much more likely to strike people doing manual, customer-facing jobs (like social care or bus driving - see 11.42am) than professional or managerial jobs that allow people to work from home. Choosing a low-paid job may be a “decision” of sorts, but it is not necessarily a voluntary one.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Here we go, the fucking horrible cunts. It wasn’t their shit handling of the matter and fuckwit decision making, it was poor people all along.

That wasn't in any way predictable. 

3 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

The news is full of people complaining about (recently booked!) holidays to Spain. 

Never change, Britain. Never change. 

Someone at my missus's work cancelled a holiday to Blackpool because she'd heard cases are rising in the north west, and decided to go to Ibiza instead last Friday. Ballsy move.

• Upvote 1

BBC 1 19:30 tonight :Panorama  

CHINA'S CORONAVIRUS COVER-UP

Did China hide crucial information about Covid-19 from the world? What began with a handful of mystery pneumonia cases in Wuhan late last year has now left more than half a million dead worldwide. Beijing says it has been open and transparent throughout, but former BBC China Editor Carrie Gracie investigates how it delayed reporting the initial outbreak and evidence that Covid-19 could be spread by people. It also silenced doctors who tried to speak out.Panorama also hears from one high-level insider who believes the animal market at the centre of the Wuhan outbreak should have been treated as a 'crime scene' and from experts who warn that this crisis may be a 'dress rehearsal' for an even more deadly pandemic in the future.

• Upvote 1

Looks like cases are rising all over the shop, including Belgium and Greece. Maybe some people were right that the lockdown only delayed the inevitable and it's just gonna go through the population whether we like it or not. A virus gonna viral.

24 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Looks like cases are rising all over the shop, including Belgium and Greece. Maybe some people were right that the lockdown only delayed the inevitable and it's just gonna go through the population whether we like it or not. A virus gonna viral.

But at least we saved the NHS.

1 hour ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Email went out today to tell us anyone returning from, or planning to go to Spain will have to claim statutory sick pay for the two weeks of isolation on their return.

And from what I heard this morning they won't qualify for it!

I still think the government should be picking up the tab for this personally. Yes it is somewhat stupid that they've booked holidays abroad at this time, but the government imposed this quarantine at very little notice, and it just continues their 6 month long abdication of responsibility in managing this pandemic.

Just now, Dougie Do'ins said:

I agree but not everyone will have booked them just now. Lots of people will be using bookings that were made pre lockdown.

I do get that but i cancelled mine and lost the deposit. No way I'd chance going abroad until this thing is completely under control.

2 hours ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

BBC 1 19:30 tonight :Panorama  

CHINA'S CORONAVIRUS COVER-UP

Did China hide crucial information about Covid-19 from the world? What began with a handful of mystery pneumonia cases in Wuhan late last year has now left more than half a million dead worldwide. Beijing says it has been open and transparent throughout, but former BBC China Editor Carrie Gracie investigates how it delayed reporting the initial outbreak and evidence that Covid-19 could be spread by people. It also silenced doctors who tried to speak out.Panorama also hears from one high-level insider who believes the animal market at the centre of the Wuhan outbreak should have been treated as a 'crime scene' and from experts who warn that this crisis may be a 'dress rehearsal' for an even more deadly pandemic in the future.

I watched that. My considered summary?

S03E01-lfc3UKC1-subtitled.jpg

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Yeah the news doing the rounds isn't great. I'd sort of mentally passed it, but looks like...

20629036.jpg

2 hours ago, Section_31 said:

49lrt1.jpg

• Upvote 1