You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

15 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

To those browbeating moralistic upholders of law and order who preach from the comfortable surround of a nice 3 bed semi with ample space and a garden for fresh air I ask, what if you were one of the many thousands living in a fucking hellhole with a couple of young children?

Are you describing post-austerity Greece by any chance?

I’ve been trying to find advice on travel. 

Both me and the missus are classed as key workers and are still working however we car share. 

Should we be taking the kids out in the car to drop the other to work or should one of us be using public transport to reduce how often they’re going out? 

3 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Every grocer here has employees cleaning the carts as they give them to you.

They also have put out wipes next to the CC machines for the touchscreen when you enter your pin etc

There's none of that going on here, but then the supermarket has no anti bac stuff to sell. The only reason I have any is i used to use it all the time when I was ill and had it on subscribe and save with Amazon and took another couple of deliveries after I stopped my treatment and went back to normal..I never thought I'd get to use it as I had so much and it was a waste and here I am 6 months later using it as much as I ever did. 

1 hour ago, Gnasher said:

Sorry dont want to sound shrill but what is so very wrong with people getting fresh air in the British countryside or open parks/spaces/seasides as long as the keep to a reasonable distance from other members of the public?  

The reaction from police and authorities are big brother overkill.

Well how are you getting to the country side? Waking? Sound, make it your daily walk.

Driving? So you will use petrol? Each trip to the petrol station brings risk of contact. When you get there, can you be sure you'll touch absolutely nothing? Some areas don't have the virus at all, why would they want it bringing into their community? What if you break down, will you be expecting someone to come and help you get home, putting them at risk too? What if you're in a car accident, stretching resources of police and NHS workers at this time? Contact of any form increases the chance of spreading the virus. Avoiding all unnecessary contact will save lives. I don't know what the issue is in just sitting tight and getting through this. It's shit, but much better than killing someone. 

1 minute ago, Barry Wom said:

There's none of that going on here, but then the supermarket has no anti bac stuff to sell. The only reason I have any is i used to use it all the time when I was ill and had it on subscribe and save with Amazon and took another couple of deliveries after I stopped my treatment and went back to normal..I never thought I'd get to use it as I had so much and it was a waste and here I am 6 months later using it as much as I ever did. 

Well how are you getting to the country side? Waking? Sound, make it your daily walk.

Driving? So you will use petrol? Each trip to the petrol station brings risk of contact. When you get there, can you be sure you'll touch absolutely nothing? Some areas don't have the virus at all, why would they want it bringing into their community? What if you break down, will you be expecting someone to come and help you get home, putting them at risk too? What if you're in a car accident, stretching resources of police and NHS workers at this time? Contact of any form increases the chance of spreading the virus. Avoiding all unnecessary contact will save lives. I don't know what the issue is in just sitting tight and getting through this. It's shit, but much better than killing someone. 

I think you're being a tad overdramatic Barry, although your comment about stretching police resources did make me smile.

1 hour ago, Gnasher said:

Sorry dont want to sound shrill but what is so very wrong with people getting fresh air in the British countryside or open parks/spaces/seasides as long as the keep to a reasonable distance from other members of the public?  

The reaction from police and authorities are big brother overkill.

One for all and all for one mate, eh.

If you pass it on to someone in one of the myriad possible ways you can do so while on one of these trips, I’m sure an online article about the EU’s malevolence or an apt You Tube link will console their family.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

I’ve been trying to find advice on travel. 

Both me and the missus are classed as key workers and are still working however we car share. 

Should we be taking the kids out in the car to drop the other to work or should one of us be using public transport to reduce how often they’re going out? 

I think members of the shame household can still go out together as far as the gov. guidance states:

1. Staying at home

You should only leave the house for very limited purposes:

• shopping for basic necessities, for example food and medicine, which must be as infrequent as possible.
  • one form of exercise a day, for example a run, walk, or cycle - alone or with members of your household.
  • any medical need, including to donate blood, avoid or escape risk of injury or harm, or to provide care or to help a vulnerable person.
  • travelling for work purposes, but only where you cannot work from home.

These reasons are exceptions - even when doing these activities, you should be minimising time spent outside of the home and ensuring you are 2 metres apart from anyone outside of your household.

These measures must be followed by everyone. Separate advice is available for individuals or households who are isolating, and for the most vulnerable who need to be shielded. Where parents do not live in the same household, children under 18 can be moved between their parents’ homes.

The Government has also identified a number of critical workers whose children can still go to school or their childcare provider. This critical worker definition does not affect whether or not you can travel to work - if you are not a critical worker, you may still travel to work provided you cannot work from home.

Critical workers and parents of vulnerable children may leave the house to take children to and from school or their childcare provider.

Other critical public services – such as social services, support for victims, support provided by the Department for Work and Pensions, or the justice system – should be provided and accessed remotely whenever possible, but you can leave the house to access them when physical attendance is absolutely necessary. House moves should be delayed unless moving is unavoidable.

21 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

How does that stop them from going for an extended walk round the block? 

If they're living in such conditions, wouldn't that generally mean that they wouldn't likely have a car to get them to local beauty spots etc? 

People who live in high rise flats are allowed to own motor vehicles. I dont know about walking round the block but if people with kids are forced to stay in such conditions I imagine they will soon be driven round the bend nevermind the block.

8 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

Although I am spending the vast majority of my time couped up in my house, I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to go to a petrol station when it's quiet to refuel and buy some essentials. Obviously travelling miles to have a social or go shopping/exercise isn't a good thing but going for a 5/10 minute drive or walk doesn't seem inappropriate at all.

Maybe I'm reading that comment out of context?

3 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

One for all and all for one mate, eh.

If you pass it on to someone in one of the myriad possible ways you can do so while on one of these trips, I’m sure an online article about the EU’s malevolence or an apt You Tube link will console their family.

Not at all. As I said in my original comment about the big brother attitude of Derbyshire police if people are careful not to endanger other people and are unfortunate to live in less than ideal conditions then I am not going to join the burn the witch chorus if they decide to go outside into the countryside for an hour or so.

8 minutes ago, ``` said:

I think members of the shame household can still go out together as far as the gov. guidance states:

1. Staying at home

You should only leave the house for very limited purposes:

• shopping for basic necessities, for example food and medicine, which must be as infrequent as possible.
  • one form of exercise a day, for example a run, walk, or cycle - alone or with members of your household.
  • any medical need, including to donate blood, avoid or escape risk of injury or harm, or to provide care or to help a vulnerable person.
  • travelling for work purposes, but only where you cannot work from home.

These reasons are exceptions - even when doing these activities, you should be minimising time spent outside of the home and ensuring you are 2 metres apart from anyone outside of your household.

These measures must be followed by everyone. Separate advice is available for individuals or households who are isolating, and for the most vulnerable who need to be shielded. Where parents do not live in the same household, children under 18 can be moved between their parents’ homes.

The Government has also identified a number of critical workers whose children can still go to school or their childcare provider. This critical worker definition does not affect whether or not you can travel to work - if you are not a critical worker, you may still travel to work provided you cannot work from home.

Critical workers and parents of vulnerable children may leave the house to take children to and from school or their childcare provider.

Other critical public services – such as social services, support for victims, support provided by the Department for Work and Pensions, or the justice system – should be provided and accessed remotely whenever possible, but you can leave the house to access them when physical attendance is absolutely necessary. House moves should be delayed unless moving is unavoidable.

The closest advice to our situation is to carry on car sharing then. 

17 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

There's none of that going on here, but then the supermarket has no anti bac stuff to sell.  

Went to Tesco today as we are running out of food & cleaning stuff. The queue went around the car park with people respecting the two metre distancing. It was one in and one out with staff cleaning the handles of the trolleys before you went in. There was also an exclusion zone for the tills. A little late, but good to see anyway.

8 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Although I am spending the vast majority of my time couped up in my house, I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to go to a petrol station when it's quiet to refuel and buy some essentials. Obviously travelling miles to have a social or go shopping/exercise isn't a good thing but going for a 5/10 minute drive or walk doesn't seem inappropriate at all.

Maybe I'm reading that comment out of context?

Exactly. Police actions like the link below are far more dangerous in the long term than the people being thrown over the coals.  

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-derbyshire-52055201

1 minute ago, Gnasher said:

Exactly. Police actions like the link below are far more dangerous in the long term than the people being thrown over the coals.  

Just do as you’re told and fewer people die.  I’m struggling to see the difficulty here. 

Everyone taking your attitude has us back to full beaches and parks.  

14 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

People who live in high rise flats are allowed to own motor vehicles. I dont know about walking round the block but if people with kids are forced to stay in such conditions I imagine they will soon be driven round the bend nevermind the block.

Yes, they are allowed to own cars. Nobody said that they weren't. 

And, nobody is asking anybody to stay in. You can go out for exercise. But, you're being asked to do that in a way that minimises your/your risk of interaction with others. 

We've all got to make sacrifices. Not sacrifices as such, but I've missed a holiday and today's legends game at Anfield. Plus, I've also missed my brother's birthday last week and haven't seen my nieces and nephew for about 3 weeks. I'd love a little day out somewhere myself. But I've stuck to walking around the same streets/park area for days.

It's a needs must situation. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

This link should come in useful to posters on here. 

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/police-urge-public-report-neighbours-21771227

Cheers. 

Depends what they're doing. If they're going out twice a day but being considerate of others. That's fine by me. 

But, I've just seen someone bragging on Facebook about getting the ale in for their house party tonight. 

* downloads form... 

7 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

I'm no fan of police brutality but I doubt they'll be killing, say, 3% of the population in the way this virus does.  You need to stop moralising about this.  If the R0 of the virus is around 3 then one person can be responsible for infecting thousands of others.  That's more dangerous than any overzealous plod. 

Stay the fuck at home.