Quantcast
VAR shit show 19/20 - Page 19 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Philtrum

VAR shit show 19/20

Recommended Posts

25 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

The blueshite just had a stonewaller not given against Spurs. This really is appalling use of the technology.

Seems reasonable to me. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chrisbonnie said:

Yesterday I generally didn't have an issue with the decision.

 

It was tight, but I presumed the var thing was trustworthy. 

 

But I've just seen a clip from goals on Sunday with Kris Camara where he calls out Atkinson for cheating and manipulating the lines to not give the goal. Even that little red line was clearly not straight. Which I never noticed yesterday if im honest. 

 

Shouldn't the club campaign to have that decision looked into, especially at who made the decision to. 


I’m not sure Atkinson drew the red dotted line, did he. Didn’t that appear on the half time tweet after everyone had criticised the decision? I think they’d realised Atkinson had fucked up spectacularly (whether by incompetence or deign I’ll let you decide) and got some YTS kid to draft it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Anubis said:


I’m not sure Atkinson drew the red dotted line, did he. Didn’t that appear on the half time tweet after everyone had criticised the decision? I think they’d realised Atkinson had fucked up spectacularly (whether by incompetence or deign I’ll let you decide) and got some YTS kid to draft it up.

No, he did, it the system did. 

 

At the first look when they did the horizontal lines firmino was onside, he then reset it and added that slanted red line to MAKE firmino offside, its pretty damning really. 

 

Fair play to Kamara, he's called Atkinson out on it and said he blatantly changed it to not give a goal. 

 

I don't for one minute think we should have the decision overruled by the way. But we should be given a full description of why Atkinson decided to do what he did. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Anubis said:


I’m not sure Atkinson drew the red dotted line, did he. Didn’t that appear on the half time tweet after everyone had criticised the decision? I think they’d realised Atkinson had fucked up spectacularly (whether by incompetence or deign I’ll let you decide) and got some YTS kid to draft it up.

I deffo saw loads of line drawing at the time. They just kept going and going till one of them indicated firmino was offside. Dunno when I first saw the red dotted line.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Refs are covering each others backs.

First the respect campaign - instead of driving improvement.

Ref pundits always back the official.

The way VAR is being used is to back the ref rather than spot an infringement.

 

My agenda is for them to open up. Accept they make mistakes. Try to correct them in the spirit of the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, viRdjil said:

 

The worst part of that whole thing, is we're talking about centre of gravity and such shite for a law that says you can't be goal side of the last defender when the ball is played. It's a rule designed to stop goal hanging and we are now completely and utterly missing the entire spirit of that law in some bizarre bid to rule goals out of the game and let the computers take over. I just don't get what they're trying to achieve. If the law was ever designed to need to be so accurate, we wouldn't have expected the lino to be looking down the line and watching the ball being played at the exact same time. We've managed to get on ok with offside for about 150 years with some slight variations, but always based on its best guessed management from the lino was enough to stop goal hanging. Now we want millimetre accuracy and need a players centre of gravity to prove it? Just fuck off. 

 

In my lifetime it has never been more controversial and created as many refereeing talking points as it has this season, but we don't seem to get any more right than we did before and the game is shitter for it. I wish they'd just fuck it off. 

  • Upvote 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve always been generally pro-VAR but this version of it is absolutely terrible.

 

I thought it worked well in the World Cup and it has the potential to add something to the game.

 

This shit-show of a version though needs binning off asap.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

The worst part of that whole thing, is we're talking about centre of gravity and such shite for a law that says you can't be goal side of the last defender when the ball is played. It's a rule designed to stop goal hanging and we are now completely and utterly missing the entire spirit of that law in some bizarre bid to rule goals out of the game and let the computers take over. I just don't get what they're trying to achieve. If the law was ever designed to need to be so accurate, we wouldn't have expected the lino to be looking down the line and watching the ball being played at the exact same time. We've managed to get on ok with offside for about 150 years with some slight variations, but always based on its best guessed management from the lino was enough to stop goal hanging. Now we want millimetre accuracy and need a players centre of gravity to prove it? Just fuck off. 

 

In my lifetime it has never been more controversial and created as many refereeing talking points as it has this season, but we don't seem to get any more right than we did before and the game is shitter for it. I wish they'd just fuck it off. 

 

Beautifully said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, rubble-rouser said:

What is this ‘centre of gravity’ bullshit?

And how the fuck can it possibly be calculated to the accuracy they seem to be depending on? The line itself must be an inch or two thick when applied to the pitch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like @Barry Wom said. The rule is to stop goal hanging. 

 

So if the attacker isn't really trying to break the rules then he should get the benefit.

 

The way the offside rule is officiated is bullshit.

 

 

....BTW....Handball is even fucking worse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

EIek1MpXUAY9Bfo.jpg

 

The centre of gravity is what makes the red line bend to the left to make it look like Bobby is offside. Physics, innit?

 Instead of drawing them vertical lines down to the ground, why can’t they just draw the lines across the pitch to when it hits Mings knee. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Anubis said:


I’m not sure Atkinson drew the red dotted line, did he. Didn’t that appear on the half time tweet after everyone had criticised the decision? I think they’d realised Atkinson had fucked up spectacularly (whether by incompetence or deign I’ll let you decide) and got some YTS kid to draft it up.

 

I watched the game live on NBC Sports (I live in the states), and he drew and redrew the line twice and it was broadcasted for everybody to see. The commentators even remark that it doesn't look offside, and then the line is redrawn and suddenly it was offside.

 

Anybody with any understanding of basic human anatomy and a baby's understanding of geometry can see he isn't offside from first viewing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Butch said:

Screenshot_20191103-212949_Reddit.jpg

The amount of talking about decisions pre VAR by players and managers, was a major factor in it being brought in. Exclusively poor managers using the propaganda of  “....that decision on its own changed the game, cost us the game and accumulatively; will ruin our season...” Broadcast by shit managers trying to deflect their own inadequacies and blaming everything but themselves or their shit teams. So.....here we are - you’ve got the VAR you were yearning for and guess what? You’re still shit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Le Duan said:

The amount of talking about decisions pre VAR by players and managers, was a major factor in it being brought in. Exclusively poor managers using the propaganda of  “....that decision on its own changed the game, cost us the game and accumulatively; will ruin our season...” Broadcast by shit managers trying to deflect their own inadequacies and blaming everything but themselves or their shit teams. So.....here we are - you’ve got the VAR you were yearning for and guess what? You’re still shit.

And another thing....the PL undermined the authority of referees as soon as they allowed such tripe to be spouted post match. So much for “the referee’s decision is final”. By allowing such decisions to be constantly and publicly questioned and derided - the authority of the ref was eroded. The thin end of the wedge was referees having to explain and apologise for decisions. They should have to explain fuck all. As managers would often say, these things even themselves out over a season, and statistics and laws of probability would bear that out. So why bring in the VAR abomination?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Le Duan said:

And another thing....the PL undermined the authority of referees as soon as they allowed such tripe to be spouted post match. So much for “the referee’s decision is final”. By allowing such decisions to be constantly and publicly questioned and derided - the authority of the ref was eroded. The thin end of the wedge was referees having to explain and apologise for decisions. They should have to explain fuck all. As managers would often say, these things even themselves out over a season, and statistics and laws of probability would bear that out. So why bring in the VAR abomination?

Analysis apparently, they have to have those talking heads keeping the adverts rolling round. 

 

But I disagree on your point about refs not having to explain themselves. I think one of the main problems we have now is that refs haven't had to explain themselves and so have become a law unto themselves. That we're now also seeing the rules of the game bent in order to justify decisions is baffling. 

 

Put mics on the refs, the var ref and the fourth official and broadcast it. Make the rules easier to interpret instead of changing draughts to chess. A good point was that offside was initially brought in to stop goal hanging, so simplify the offside rule, when you're dealing with complex calculations and centres of gravity you've gone too far.

 

Oh and sack that useless twat Atkinson, I fucking hate that imbecile.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mike Riley is still head of refereeing in the PL and until him and VAR are both gone things wont improve. The worst referee in the PL ever,IMO,overseeing a new way of refereeing was always going to be a clusterfuck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×