You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Someone's having a real laugh - sperm of gollum to Utd.

Iceman

4 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

I've been on record that saying all those managers would fail at Man U, thankfully I've been proven right. As you say though, the board backed most of them to a certain point, one could say Moyes didn't get a great deal of money, but he had a better squad to begin with on paper, they also went with the managers the fans were banging on about. Not sure Lampards future looks that bright mind, he looks naive at best when playing the better teams and although they have a few good youngsters they'll ruin their dreams once the ban is lifted and they can spend, they'll also have a fair bit to lash out if they do go far in the CL, something I doubt will happen though. Will they stick with FL when they start spending big? I'd say that was 50/50 at best considering the start they have had in both the league and CL. They'll always attract players due to the London factor, as you said yourself. Out of all the chasing pack you'd have to say the Mancs have the biggest job on their hands though, their squad is absolute gash and it looks like the money isn't going to be so easily made ready in the distant future. 

Genuinely taking aside my dislike for them, they are one of the biggest clubs in the world.

However, if I was a great manager and they approached me offering me crazy wages and say 400 million to spend, I would turn it down. 

Crazy as it sounds they might win more respect from football people if they backed Ole for the full year, even if they finish 8th or 9th and got smashed a few times.

Guest Pistonbroke
Just now, Ronnie Whelan said:

Genuinely taking aside my dislike for them, they are one of the biggest clubs in the world.

However, if I was a great manager and they approached me offering me crazy wages and say 400 million to spend, I would turn it down. 

Crazy as it sounds they might win more respect from football people if they backed Ole for the full year, even if they finish 8th or 9th and got smashed a few times.

I just don't think Solksjaer has it in him to do anything with that club, so hopefully they hold on to him for as long as possible, especially if he truly believes this new plan of theirs in buying youngsters with potential. That is only going to work with a blend of senior players who they don't have, and a manager who can bring on the younger players, who they don't have imo. 

I remember a few fans saying 'never write off United, they'll be good under....which ever manager was in charge at the time.'

I just had a feeling that the overrated Moyes would crash, LVG was shite at Bayern and then a disaster as Holland's manager, he was clearly on the wain. Mourinho was just a busted flush and although he landed them two trophies it wasn't the ones they wanted and he truly made a mess of their squad. I honestly don't think Pochettino would be a success either, certainly not Howe or Wenger who they seem to be mentioning. Hopefully they stick with OGS or one of those others, even better would be a Neville/Giggs appointment, it would be funny as fuck watching them scratch about trying to finish in the top 6 like it's some sort of improvement. They're fucked for the foreseeable mate, I reckon they need to change a shit load of things at the top and form a plan with a very good manager who isn't frightened of those above him. I hope to fuck they don't go for someone like Nagelsmann, young and very talented. 

4 hours ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Ole could walk if results go really bad in the coming weeks. If we smashed them in October he could go. He loves the club to be fair to him.

And he was a member of the Liverpool supporters club till after he joined them. Agent Ole is doing the job now. Also, I don't think he'll walk unless the fans turn on him. All managers (rightly so I reckon) will always think they can turn it round. 

5 hours ago, Manny said:

I've said this before but I think Woodward and the Glazers have long since settled on a strategy of maintaining the mancs as a global elite club by behaviour rather than success. Splashing massive cash on a marketing machine like Pogba - with his haircuts and bespoke emoji - has them trending just as much as winning the League Cup, and is a damn sight easier than winning the Champions League. So they'll continue to spend money,  the more the better, because big clubs spend big money and therefore if they spend the biggest money they're the biggest club, right?

Yep, I think you're dead right and it's part of why they worked so hard to keep hold of pogba, because they just couldn't replace those Twitter, Instagram and Facebook followers. It was certainly fuck all to do with what he gives on the pitch. And there's loads of fans around the world now who follow players and not clubs, so from a financial point of view, it's probably not a bad strategy. It just sucks cock if you're a fan who wants to see a winning team. Long may it continue. 

I remember when we approached Rodgers and read that he had refused to be "interviewed" for the role (it was beneath him- he should just be offered the job was the general jist of it)  - I realised then we had fallen further than I had been prepared to admit.

I said to a few Utd fans years ago that they would go through all that we did when Ferguson retired- I wasnt fully convinced it would happen but the similarities have been glaring.  

Bad Managers/management

Big spending trying to claw it back

Disruptive players

Undiminished sense of entitlement

Even bad kits!!!! 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Dave D said:

I remember when we approached Rodgers and read that he had refused to be "interviewed" for the role (it was beneath him- he should just be offered the job was the general jist of it)  - I realised then we had fallen further than I had been prepared to admit.

I said to a few Utd fans years ago that they would go through all that we did when Ferguson retired- I wasnt fully convinced it would happen but the similarities have been glaring.  

Bad Managers/management

Big spending trying to claw it back

Disruptive players

Undiminished sense of entitlement

Even bad kits!!!! 

When you've had a successful manager, you get not used to hiring managers. We struggled with it and they're are having a right nightmare. They just go for someone who wasn't the last fella. 

6 hours ago, Pistonbroke said:

I just don't think Solksjaer has it in him to do anything with that club, so hopefully they hold on to him for as long as possible, especially if he truly believes this new plan of theirs in buying youngsters with potential. That is only going to work with a blend of senior players who they don't have, and a manager who can bring on the younger players, who they don't have imo. 

I remember a few fans saying 'never write off United, they'll be good under....which ever manager was in charge at the time.'

I just had a feeling that the overrated Moyes would crash, LVG was shite at Bayern and then a disaster as Holland's manager, he was clearly on the wain. Mourinho was just a busted flush and although he landed them two trophies it wasn't the ones they wanted and he truly made a mess of their squad. I honestly don't think Pochettino would be a success either, certainly not Howe or Wenger who they seem to be mentioning. Hopefully they stick with OGS or one of those others, even better would be a Neville/Giggs appointment, it would be funny as fuck watching them scratch about trying to finish in the top 6 like it's some sort of improvement. They're fucked for the foreseeable mate, I reckon they need to change a shit load of things at the top and form a plan with a very good manager who isn't frightened of those above him. I hope to fuck they don't go for someone like Nagelsmann, young and very talented. 

Nail on head that the similarities with Utd now and us in the 90s is virtually a mirror image another new manager more dross bought no real plan on how to get back to the top it's probably gonna take someone like Klopp to come in and put something in place the million dollar question is where do they find that man. 

• Upvote 1

Their fans are absolute pricks, they disappear when they do shit or just point blank refuse to talk about football. As soon as tgey had that little run when Solskjaer took over they were proclaiming that they were back and were going to take again.

Most of their fans just seem like banter merchants who aren't really into football but like giving us grief for never winning the Premier league. They seem to revel in the fact that Gerrard slipped over against Chelsea even though it helped their neighbours win the league. 

10 hours ago, Lario said:

5??

Fuck me, there's not one player in their starting 11 that would get into our team.

And I'm including De Gea for Adrian in that!

Deluded cunts.

It's fucking lovely.  For all of us who lived through the 90s, these are hugely enjoyable times. 

• Upvote 5

How many of our lot called it and said what is happening now was exactly what would happen under him? The title of this thread clearly indicates what we thought at the time. They then simply rode that new manager bounce and gave the likes of Pogba carte blanche to do whatever he liked. They were still playing turgid football but getting fortuitous with results. Solskjaer had an appalling record with a far inferior Cardiff team, and even then all his words were soundbites about playing a certain way and upholding certain traditions. There was no indication that he had a methodology to consistently get the most out of his players.

Guest Pistonbroke
11 hours ago, Tj hooker said:

Nail on head that the similarities with Utd now and us in the 90s is virtually a mirror image another new manager more dross bought no real plan on how to get back to the top it's probably gonna take someone like Klopp to come in and put something in place the million dollar question is where do they find that man. 

Money talks, but it'll be hard to sell that shite squad and the current plan they are following to most of the top managers. You also have to factor in Woodward and who the fuck would want to work with him. 

9 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

It's fucking lovely.  For all of us who lived through the 90s, these are hugely enjoyable times. 

I wont truly enjoy until we get that title but yeah, it's brilliant. I work with a lot of Utd fans and it's glorious at the minute because they just can't say anything as they were all mini Rio Ferdinand's during their legendary run last season, adamant that Ole was the answer to everything,  something I remind them of any time one of them even comes close to a criticism of him. Most of them are still blaming the squad of players however, some still have faith in the walking haircut which is bizarre to say the least.

• Upvote 1

Is it just me or does The Spunk Goblin seem to be getting an easy ride from the media? 

if this was shit coat they’d be all over him trying to provoke a reaction. I want to see the goblin getting short with the media and losing his head. He seems to be a really grateful and measured guy. Twat. 

Just now, Ginny said:

Is it just me or does The Spunk Goblin seem to be getting an easy ride from the media? 

if this was shit coat they’d be all over him trying to provoke a reaction. I want to see the goblin getting short with the media and losing his head. He seems to be a really grateful and measured guy. Twat. 

Fuck that. Last thing we want is the media turning on him.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Ginny said:

He plays nice with the press though. Mourinho, especially there, was a fucking bellend. And it never helped once he left Chelsea, the London press were desperate for him to fail. He's the closest thing they've had to a bit of razzamataz since El Tel went off the scene. 

Perfectly happy for Solskjaer to be gradually boiled over the next couple of years rather than look like something on the breakfast thread too soon.

In particular, would like his Dad’s car parking space not to become free until well after Pochettino has gone elsewhere.

Just now, Captain Turdseye said:

The Athletic have got an ‘exclusive’ today, claiming that 34 year old Mario Mandzukic to United is all but done for January. The same Mandzukic who isn’t even making the bench for Juventus at the minute. 

It’s great on so many levels. 

Yeah, but he's just a filler till sanchez comes back next season. 

5 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

The Athletic have got an ‘exclusive’ today, claiming that 34 year old Mario Mandzukic to United is all but done for January. The same Mandzukic who isn’t even making the bench for Juventus at the minute. 

It’s great on so many levels. 

Masterplan to bring back Ibrahimovic as well.  Last of the Summer Wine FC