You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Self Defence at Work.

Aventus

I came in slightly late, he's calling me a knob head etc, I tell him to fuck off and mind his own business seeing as he works in a different department. He marches across the room waving his finger in my face telling me he's gonna kick my head in at home time then he walks off.

Couple of hours later after break, I noticed its slightly after the end of break time, I shout into the next room "it's 11 past, time to get back to work" while walking off chuckling to myself, I hear him calling me a dickhead.

I go upstairs, sit at my desk, and a couple of seconds later he flys in and punches me asking if I still think its funny.

Happy little workplace you've got there.

He's attacked you by punching you. He's also gone out of his way to do it. I presume he was going to hit you again and that is why you restrained him and shouted for help.

In law, if you are being attacked you are entitled to use reasonable force to defend yourself. The force has to be reasonable and proportionate, and cannot go too far.

If all you have done is restrain him until help arrives then I can't see how it can be anything other than self defence. Provided you thought he was going to continue to attack you. You may have to answer to your emoloyers for the schoolkid stuff that preceded it though.

Also, your employer may ask you to write down what happened. Ask them if it's being referred to the police. If it is do not give them an account until you have been interviewed under caution by the police with a solicitor present. Representation in the police station is available under the legal aid scheme for everyone. Do not fall for the 'if you have a solicitor it will take longer line' either. The police prefer you unrepresented.

The reason you should not give an account to your employer is that you probably won't have legal advice at that stage, and you may say or write something incriminating which can be passed to the police either in a statement from the person you are speaking to or what you've written.

EDIT: Sorry. Out and about on phone so apologies for any spelling errors.

Happened on Friday, so already gave my statement unfortunately.

Received letter yesterday, inviting me to the hearing tomorrow, so it seems like they're trying to rush this through before I have chance to see a solicitor.

Planning on emailing them to postpone. What should I say in the email?

I'm seeking legal advice? Ask if they've filed a police report for the assault?

Proper freaks my nut out this stuff, can't be arsed with it.

Shit state of affairs mate.

Ask yourself this though and don't think about money... do you really want to work there? In that's sort of environment? I recently left a job because it was a family run business and the ceo and his wife were disgustingly racist. His wife who is also the commercial director called a girl in our office a fucking b***k bitch. Next day the girl was sacked and the wife came in happy as Larry. It was toxic and disgusting. I'd rather be on the dole than work in an environment like that for 40 odd hours a week.

Look after number 1 mate.

Ask yourself this though and don't think about money... do you really want to work there? In that's sort of environment? I recently left a job because it was a family run business and the ceo and his wife were disgustingly racist. His wife who is also the commercial director called a girl in our office a fucking b***k bitch. Next day the girl was sacked and the wife came in happy as Larry. It was toxic and disgusting. I'd rather be on the dole than work in an environment like that for 40 odd hours a week.

Ideally I'd like to keep my job, and then make my own moves to leave in the coming weeks.

Getting a bit too close to Christmas and that for me to be dealing with the loss of income.

Plus I'm finally starting to feel like I'm getting my life in order with regards to the anxiety and depression, something like this is likely to set me back.

Shouldn't this be black b***h?

Black bitch, I think. Partly because were adults and know what it says. Mainly because repeating something racist isn’t the same thing as racism.

Also, sorry if I’ve been overly literal. I’m too far into the post to pull out now.

I agree, but if you are going with asterisks, at least hide the offensive part.

The context and connotation make it racist. And I think calling somebody ‘you black beauty’ would offend quite a few people.

She called another black lad there "chocolate finger" all the time. He just smiled it off. I'd have nutted the racist cow

How long have you both worked there ?

How far in distance did your aggressor travel to the point at which he assaulted you ?

Any CCTV ?

Unless he's your superior or your lateness has had a direct impact on his job, I'd ask why he felt the need to have a go at you and if he were that concerned, why didn't he report it via the proper channels.

I'm pretty sure you can get the fist half hour or full hour of legal advise free.

This meeting you have been called to might just be for them to outline the case against you. After that, you may be asked to another meeting to give your side of the story. Usually you will be asked if you intend to bring anyone to witnesses the meeting or if you are bringing any representation.  

Happened on Friday, so already gave my statement unfortunately.

Received letter yesterday, inviting me to the hearing tomorrow, so it seems like they're trying to rush this through before I have chance to see a solicitor.

Planning on emailing them to postpone. What should I say in the email?

I'm seeking legal advice? Ask if they've filed a police report for the assault?

Proper freaks my nut out this stuff, can't be arsed with it.

Tell them you're seeking representation and the hearing is too soon. Do you have a Union rep. If not you'll initially need an employment solicitor for the disciplinary hearing. If your in a union they should be able to sort one.

The context and connotation make it racist. And I think calling somebody ‘you black beauty’ would offend quite a few people.

Didn't they refer to a number of black athletes, models, actresses throughout the past decades using a word with positive connotations predicated by "black"? Is all that now offensive?

Didn't they refer to a number of black athletes, models, actresses throughout the past decades using a word with positive connotations predicated by "black"? Is all that now offensive?

Would the same people who used it in the past have used "white" instead of "black" for people they'd have considered to be white?

"You white beauty"

Is this person aware of your sexual interest in Gemma Collins?

If so, just pray he doesn’t have a good solicitor.

I knew my sordid sexual preferences would do me a disservice at some point, I never thought I'd go down like this though.