You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Shall we have a Commonwealth Games thread?

Champ

The one that always wins didn't win, and the one who usually wheezes over the finish line finished further back than usual.

Oh, I know all that. What I don't know is why

Too much wining and dining?

Worth watching the wrestling as there's a Scottish lad who does Professional Wrestling competing. He took it up and won the UK championship.

Hope he wins and cuts a promo

Hold on, so he does WWE style wrestling but he's in the commonwealth games?

Hell of a crossover, that. The other lads will be just hanging around in their leotards and he'll make his entrance down a zipline with flame effects firing out of his arse and run around clotheslining everyone.

• Upvote 1

Commonwealth Games reminds me of School Sports Day where all the shit athletes get a chance of a medal.

Try telling that to Roger Bannister (and John Landy) at the Empire Games in 1954, at the purpose-built Empire Stadium, Vancouver, British Columbia.

I mean for fuck sake, Skids, be reasonable.  You only have to go back 64 years for the last wonderful Commonwealth Games moment.

The Gold Coast in Australia is merely a forerunner of where the Games can go from here.  

I'd love to see a special dispensation given by Her Majesty to allow the next ones to be staged in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Albeit with tight security, obviously...

Did you say that last time round?

I’ve always thought that about it to be fair. It’s like the “Celebration Games” or “An excuse to Milk London 2012 for as much as we can Games” or whatever they are called. I just see the point of them as some sort of link back to the good old British Empire. Except the British countries don’t dominate.

May have toed the party line in the past to keep the peace. But I’m defo breaking free this year.

I’ve always thought that about it to be fair. It’s like the “Celebration Games” or “An excuse to Milk London 2012 for as much as we can Games” or whatever they are called. I just see the point of them as some sort of link back to the good old British Empire. Except the British countries don’t dominate.

May have toed the party line in the past to keep the peace. But I’m defo breaking free this year.

You are absolutely right about the origins of the Games and why independent countries would wish to remain associated with them is a bit mystifying but I love an athletics plus other events competition so I’m still in until they say stop. I think

As long as its never going to be called "The Buy Everton a New Stadium Games", I've got no problem with it.