Quantcast
Naby Keita - Page 162 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content

Welcome to the new and improved TLW!

Some of you may experience issues logging in and will get an 'incorrect password' error. Don't worry, you haven't typed it in wrong and your password hasn't been changed. You will need to reset it though in order to log in. Click the reset password link and you will receive an email with your new temporary password. Once logged in, you need to choose a new password (or restore to your old one) otherwise you will be locked out again.

If you have an out of date email address linked to your account, then you won't receive the new password. If that's the case then you'll need to email me (dave @liverpoolway.co.uk) or send me a tweet @theliverpoolway and I'll update your password manually. 

Any other problems or questions just let me know.

Thanks

Dave

viRdjil

Naby Keita

Started showing some nice signs of link up play, particularly towards the end when we had a few fast counters. His confidence is slowly growing, it's just a pity he couldn't take his chance as a goal would do him the power of good.

Those 5 draws and 1 loss in games without Keita include Chelsea (A), City (A+H), Arsenal (A), United (A), Everton (A). The draws where he was in the team were Leicester and West Ham. He didn't play in the home games against Arsenal or Everton, and was subbed off for Shaqiri against United who promptly scored 2 goals to win us the game at Anfield.

The team has been imperious all year. Those statistics tell us nothing other than Keita not being trusted in any of the big games. The salient statistics where Keita is concerned are 21 appearances (9 as sub), no goals, 1 "big chance created", 1 asisst, 35% tackles won. Disastrous.

• Upvote 6

I hope so. Personally, I will be amazed if a player who has performed so underwhelmingly over a decent sample size of games turns it around to the level needed (we're talking about 20+ games here, not one or two here and there). Really, really hope he contributes in the games left to play. It will be very interesting to see if he gets on the pitch vs Tottenham & Chelsea (Spurs away was his best performance in the shirt I think given its one of the few decent opposition hes played against)

1 hour ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Don't mind me, I'm just here recording posts for posterity so that two years from now when he's our best midfielder I can bring them up again.

I mean obviously that could happen, he's a talented player. Doesn't mean the people rightfully pointing out he's been pants this season are wrong. 

The dumb ones are the people saying we should sell him, though. Absolutely ridiculous. 

17 hours ago, Alex_K said:

Those 5 draws and 1 loss in games without Keita include Chelsea (A), City (A+H), Arsenal (A), United (A), Everton (A). The draws where he was in the team were Leicester and West Ham. He didn't play in the home games against Arsenal or Everton, and was subbed off for Shaqiri against United who promptly scored 2 goals to win us the game at Anfield.

The team has been imperious all year. Those statistics tell us nothing other than Keita not being trusted in any of the big games. The salient statistics where Keita is concerned are 21 appearances (9 as sub), no goals, 1 "big chance created", 1 asisst, 35% tackles won. Disastrous.

We are undefeated when he plays. 

We win more when he plays. 

We draw less when he plays. 

We score more goals when he plays. 

2x3bh3.jpg

40 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I mean obviously that could happen, he's a talented player. Doesn't mean the people rightfully pointing out he's been pants this season are wrong. 

The dumb ones are the people saying we should sell him, though. Absolutely ridiculous. 

I think they are wrong, though.

He's not been great, obviously. Miles below what we were expecting and hoping for. But if you look at his numbers they're not terrible at all. He's our best ball-progresser, for example, which is an often-overlooked but quite important part of how a midfield helps you win games. A key reason why we win more when he starts, as seen above (and yes, I'll admit that it's also shaded by him starting fewer games against big teams as well).

So while I'm perfectly happy to admit that he's been disappointing, that's only because my expectations were so high. In terms of actual performance he's been slightly below average, but in the context of our best side in over 20 years it's not at all as if he's been "pants." I still think he's going to do an Oxlade-Chamberlain or a Fabinho and put it together at some point like a switch flipping and then he'll be great for us.

56 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

But if you look at his numbers they're not terrible at all.

Cost 55 million. Scored none. Created one "big chance". Created one assist. Won 35% of his tackles in midfield. And this is while playing pretty much universally the dross of the league (Everton excluded!). He's put Andy Carroll well and truly in the shade at the moment.

Chamberlain -- who was rightly derided for his average performances during the earlier parts of last season before improving dramatically around this time of year -- by contrast had 5 goals and 8 assists in what was a promising but still pretty average season prior to his injury in April. The same month will probably be a pretty defining one for Keita -- if he can get onto the pitch ahead of the 2019 version of Lallana, that is.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

It depends right, if we were £40m short for Coutinho, and Dortmund offered that for Keita, you’d be silly not to consider it. 

2 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

I think they are wrong, though.

He's not been great, obviously. Miles below what we were expecting and hoping for. But if you look at his numbers they're not terrible at all. He's our best ball-progresser, for example, which is an often-overlooked but quite important part of how a midfield helps you win games. A key reason why we win more when he starts, as seen above (and yes, I'll admit that it's also shaded by him starting fewer games against big teams as well).

So while I'm perfectly happy to admit that he's been disappointing, that's only because my expectations were so high. In terms of actual performance he's been slightly below average, but in the context of our best side in over 20 years it's not at all as if he's been "pants." I still think he's going to do an Oxlade-Chamberlain or a Fabinho and put it together at some point like a switch flipping and then he'll be great for us.

Yeah, I've seen those underlying numbers and people have said they're good, but as Alex said above, that's just an absurdly low bar to have for a player we paid a lot of money for. He's done nothing tangible. 

55 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

It depends right, if we were £40m short for Coutinho, and Dortmund offered that for Keita, you’d be silly not to consider it. 

No it doesn't depend. No one should be in the business of taking a 15m loss on a player after a single season. Especially when the manager wanted him so badly. 

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

15 schmill?? It's peanuts -- big clubs take that loss on the chin.

Yeah, because they're lazy and stupid. Clubs are run horrendously.