You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Pictures you've taken that you think are cool

JohnnyH

Just now, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Fantastic pictures, you've got a great eye for composition.

I really must learn how to use my DSLR.

Thanks. If I can give you any advice, take pictures of everything, because you learn much more from the shit ones than you do the good ones. I  have thousands of images I now look back on and think "Why the fuck did I even bother trying to take a picture of that for?" and it's because of those poor images that I gradually learned to improve. 

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Some crackers there mate nice work. I assume you are Scal Capone that I follow on twitter? If so then no need to be down man, you are a funny fucker. Hasta La Victoria Siempre  

I am, indeed, that Scal Capone, the TLW poster formerly known as You Knows It, then Dirk, and now Scal Ca-fucking-pone.

The depression arose as a consequence of my PhD, and what happened at the end of it. The photography helps me immensely, but since moving to Connah's Quay, I find little inspiration for my images.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Scal Capone said:

Thanks. If I can give you any advice, take pictures of everything, because you learn much more from the shit ones than you do the good ones. I  have thousands of images I now look back on and think "Why the fuck did I even bother trying to take a picture of that for?" and it's because of those poor images that I gradually learned to improve. 

I used to take a little digital camera with me everywhere in the pre-mobile phone camera days. If I do say so myself, I've got a pretty good eye for it, it's just that I have no idea how to use all the gubbins on a proper camera. 

Just now, Babb'sBurstNad said:

I used to take a little digital camera with me everywhere in the pre-mobile phone camera days. If I do say so myself, I've got a pretty good eye for it, it's just that I have no idea how to use all the gubbins on a proper camera. 

Stick it in aperture priority mode to begin with, just control the depth of field as you envisage and the camera will work out the optimal shutter speed setting on that basis. Even loads of seasoned pros shoot that way.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Scal Capone said:

I am, indeed, that Scal Capone, the TLW poster formerly known as You Knows It, then Dirk, and now Scal Ca-fucking-pone.

The depression arose as a consequence of my PhD, and what happened at the end of it. The photography helps me immensely, but since moving to Connah's Quay, I find little inspiration for my images.

Get a good view of Connah's Quay from Moel Famau. If you ever fancy a run up to the top give me a shout. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Get a good view of Connah's Quay from Moel Famau. If you ever fancy a run up to the top give me a shout. 

Nice one. There are loads of beautiful places out here but, as I don't drive, I can't access them. I no longer ask my missus to take me places to shoot images as she gets pissed off waiting around for hours until I have judged the light to have changed to the hue I want. I once left her waiting in the car park at Thurstaston Common for 90 minutes to take pictures of the sunset/golden hour. The image is actually up there. I made her wait for nothing, though, as it transpired that the very first image I shot was the best one. I don't think she has ever forgiven me for it.

13 minutes ago, Scal Capone said:

Nice one. There are loads of beautiful places out here but, as I don't drive, I can't access them. I no longer ask my missus to take me places to shoot images as she gets pissed off waiting around for hours until I have judged the light to have changed to the hue I want. I once left her waiting in the car park at Thurstaston Common for 90 minutes to take pictures of the sunset/golden hour. The image is actually up there. I made her wait for nothing, though, as it transpired that the very first image I shot was the best one. I don't think she has ever forgiven me for it.

Keep it up mate. Don't get noncey though 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jairzinho said:

Nice, that. The city stuff (generally, not yours in particular!) does nothing for me but I love this sort of picture.

Thanks,  I'm getting more into landscape photography lately. This one was taken at Portland Bill on a trip to Dorset earlier this year.