You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

The women thing baffles me, shit loads of women in very powerful positions in politics my entire lifetime. Including two of the worst prime ministers it has to be said, not that I'm suggesting a link before anyone throws their Tampax at me. Plus the Queen is a bird, what are they fucking moaning about.

Labour has never had a woman as leader though. Given the party’s history of fighting inequality, that rankles with a lot of members, and not just women, especially as the Tories have had two women PMs.

I don’t support all women shortlists for leader or MPs, and will always vote for the candidate I think is best for the job, but I think it’s fair enough that people in Labour would like the party to demonstrate there isn’t a glass ceiling for the leadership.

Labour has never had a woman as leader though. Given the party’s history of fighting inequality, that rankles with a lot of members, and not just women, especially as the Tories have had two women PMs.

I don’t support all women shortlists for leader or MPs, and will always vote for the candidate I think is best for the job, but I think it’s fair enough that people in Labour would like the party to demonstrate there isn’t a glass ceiling for the leadership.

It's a fair point and I'd genuinely be interested to know how many women from Labour's side have had to drop out of politics before they reached the top because the lifestyle of an MP is so non family friendly. If you're to the manor born you're probably above such concerns, if you're an ordinary person you're very much not.

The women thing baffles me, shit loads of women in very powerful positions in politics my entire lifetime. Including two of the worst prime ministers it has to be said, not that I'm suggesting a link before anyone throws their Tampax at me. Plus the Queen is a bird, what are they fucking moaning about.

Doesn't the FTSE 100 contain more CEOs called John than women CEOs?

And significantly fewer than 50% of MPs are women.

Then there's the whole "getting paid 17% less" thing.

There really is a lot to fucking moan about.

Indeed, even though I was clearly talking about the House of Commons and Harman's comment re: all female leadership election being ott given the fact there are women in very senior and significant roles in politics.

One woman where I am staying just now was moaning that all the DVD’s in the collection were mans film. She is right, war and shit action films mainly.

Another woman said that there was a load of rom coms and such other Hugh Grant shit there a couple of weeks ago but they disappeared when it was suggested that Friday night should be ladies TV night.

A search ensued until the oldest bloke here (late 60’s) confessed that he had tidied up and moved all the woman’s dvds to the cupboard were all the other ladies stuff is kept. Turns out this is the cleaning cupboard with the hoover and ironing gear.

How many black people in that list?

How many Muslims?

How many disabled people?

How many Welsh?

Indeed, even though I was clearly talking about the House of Commons and Harman's comment re: all female leadership election being ott given the fact there are women in very senior and significant roles in politics.

You've forgotten leaders of SNP, DUP, and Sinn Fein, plus Sinn Fein no. 2 who you fancy.

For gods sake we need to protect the ogliarchs controlling all wealth, media politics. If that means re-branding criticism of them as being ‘anti-semitic’ then that’s what we do.

All religion is a load of fucking shite, and this sorry saga just underlined it.

Well, the Czech/commie spy story quickly ran short of steam, so it was back to the Old Faithful of antisemitism.

Yawn!

Well, the Czech/commie spy story quickly ran short of steam, so it was back to the Old Faithful of antisemitism.

Yawn!

I think that’s about right.

This Facebook comment miraculously gets uncovered and given the full treatment, loads of New Labour MP’s seemingly ready to stick the knife in and condemn him for not actually saying anything anti-Semitic, but for being in the vicinity of some wacky mural.

Owen Smith, step forward.

Yawn!

The questions were originally asked in 2012 but as he wasn’t news then they weren’t followed up.

Anyway, how you all doing? Recovered from the bullying?

Yawn!

Well it would appear that Corbyn himself has just admitted that there is a problem, well done him. FWIW I don’t think Corbyn himself has a racist bone in his body.

• Upvote 1

When we say anti-Semitism are we talking anti Israel though? Are Labour people out there propagating views that jews can turn into rats and steal money, or are they talking about Israeli policy in the gaza strip?

Not sure, but if Corbyn himself says there is a problem that he is going to address then surely that’s quite significant.

Well it would appear that Corbyn himself has just admitted that there is a problem, well done him. FWIW I don’t think Corbyn himself has a racist bone in his body.

Anti-Semitism exists and wherever it exists it's a problem. The Parliamentary report from last year found that there was no specific problem in the Labour Party; other parties have at least as big a problem. Labour launched an investigation into anti-Semitism in the party, resulting in the Chakrabarti report. Any allegations of anti-Semitism in the Labour Party tend to result in swift suspensions followed by thorough investigations.

I don't know whether any other parties have done anything yet.