You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Money

Ginny

On the back of the financial crisis back in 2008 and the fact at that time I worked in a bank for over 7 years I started to read up about money and how it's created etc... Which is one of the most slickest scams that I've ever come across.

There seems to be a lot of conflict and misunderstandings when it comes to cash. I think there is a lot of dysfunction around people's relationships and society in general. Some people think it's 'the root of all evil' or so we were taught by religion. Again reinforcing the illusion that money is bad. Probably written back in the day by rich people to plant the seed of having money and guilt whilst they kept it all laughing.

I mentioned to my mate the other night that I want loads of cash and he had mixed views saying money isn't everything etc... But I said if it isn't everything what's the harm in wanting more of it. Also with the news about a certain sportsman going down the M62 to Manchester for large amounts of cash the Greed word is getting thrown about quite a bit. Don't we all want more cash? How much is enough and what is the level of happiness it gives you? Or does it just buy you freedom?

What is your relationship with money? Tight bastard, generous bastard?

I find it an interesting subject around people relationship to it.

• Upvote 1

Yeah it is interesting. 

They say money doesn't make you happy, but security and safety and less stress do make you happy - and money, when used correctly, is the key to all of those things. You'll be a lot happier in a nice house in a nice area than you will be in a rough one with quad bikes going past your window. 

I've started to try and make money on the side lately as I've needed some for practical stuff, doing the house up etc, when I didn't need it I wasn't arsed about what I was paid, I've never wanted money for the sake of it nor had especially expensive tastes, I've always been pretty generous too, probably overly so. 

I'm tight when I'm skint but I'm not when I have some spare.

You could pay me £30K a year (for example) & I'd be happy with that, there's far more to life than money although that's a lot easier for me to say than for a single mum living in a high rise somewhere with fuck all.

The distribution of wealth in this country is a fucking disgrace as well, mainly due to greed, but there's plenty of posters on here who can articulate that sort of stuff better than I can so I'll leave that to them.

• Upvote 1

I have very little interest in "stuff". This isn't really from a moral point of view, although I do think the world would be quite a lot better if more people didn't really care about stuff (or more accurately people in the developed world), I'm just not arsed about having the latest £500 phone, or spending loads of money on clothes, cars, etc. As long as I have enough money to have somewhere to live, food to eat, and the ability to travel reasonably regularly, then I'm happy. If I won the lottery tomorrow I'd probably spend a week in the Highlands having a bit of a think, and determining how much all my mates, family, and charities would get, then I'd go travelling for about 6/12 months.

I guess I'm relatively frugal (although it is easier when you don't have interest in stuff, admittedly), I detest borrowing money. Either from banks or mates/family. The psychological dynamic is just awful. I always have done. Son of a Yorkshireman I put it down to. I'm not tight with money though, but I can't be having people's hypocrisy. For example, I've got a mate who at the pub will buy loads of rounds of shots (whether you fucking want one or not), and then he'll have a moan when other people aren't exactly the same. Well this same fella is always the one having to borrow money a few days later. I've got a better idea, stop being a complete twat when you do have money, attempting to portray yourself as Mr Generosity, then you won't have to guilt trip me into lending you money (this no longer happens, I had a few words and he wouldn't ask me for a quid any more).

I do give a lot of money to charity, out of guilt more than anything else. I'm incredibly fortunate to have been born in Britain, and frankly I find the economic disparity world wide to be absolutely fucking disgusting, so do what I can help those that have got fuck all. Okay, I am moralising a bit now.

I certainly value being in charge of my own destiny and, at least to some extent, "enjoying" the work I do. Or certainly not hating it anyway. I could probably make a lot more money than I do if I took some office job, and noshed my way up the ladder. I read people's descriptions on here of their office life (and did a little bit myself several years ago) and I simply couldn't live like that. Nah, fuck that. Give me less money, but not being a bitch. 

• Upvote 5

I've never been tight, I find it probably the worst trait a person can have, there's nothing worse than being around someone who is penny pinching, nothing, completely ruins the mood. My company has just been taken over and I've been given a 30% pay rise, which will probably changed my life quite a bit, in this climate and with this government I genuinely can't beleive it's happened. I very rarely talk about my job or salary because it bores me, genuinely, I don't even open wage slips. 

In work however there are people that are completely and utterly ruled by it, they will literally sell their soul for the right price and it gauls me, Women who have partners who's household income is treble mine yet they are cocnstantly stressing about who is doing more overt iem than others, they all deserve to die fucking penniless and miserable.

• Upvote 3

Im a twat with it. Got into lots of debt when I was young, always thought that getting a loan etc will be fine and put off things till tomorrow. Much better these days but still carrying a burden of my younger thoughtlessness. It burns a hole in my pocket and I can go out with 50 quid or 500 quid in my back pocket and i'm still coming home with fuck all. Really need to get my shit together with money. I earn a decent wage in what I do, a lot more than most of my mates yet they always seem to have more money than me. 

I too wish I had more. 

• Upvote 1

Im a twat with it. Got into lots of debt when I was young, always thought that getting a loan etc will be fine and put off things till tomorrow. Much better these days but still carrying a burden of my younger thoughtlessness. It burns a hole in my pocket and I can go out with 50 quid or 500 quid in my back pocket and i'm still coming home with fuck all. Really need to get my shit together with money. I earn a decent wage in what I do, a lot more than most of my mates yet they always seem to have more money than me. 

I too wish I had more. 

That's me that is, in fact the entire statement stig could have been written by me, my current bird reigns me in, thank god.

I am in a well paid job. My job security is also very good. So I don't really need to worry too much.

I am trying to acquire more money now, so I can retire asap. I don't like my job but it is a means to an end.  

A few people consider me to be tight, but I would use the term sensible. I will happily spend money but begrudge wasting it.

Never owned a new car, always paid cash when buying one. The house we are in is very nice suburban, but  I could get a mortgage for a lot more. 

The first house I lived in was very cheap, but I bought it to live in, not as an investment. 

Whenever I make a large purchase, TV, Laptop, etc I will spend a lot of time deciding on the best option at the price I am happy to pay. 

I hate being in debt and paying the banks any interest whatsoever. I have credit cards, that I always pay in full every month. I will look for interest free deals on credit cards, if I want something and don't have the money. Or just wait until I have the money. 

I believe the point I am trying to make, is because I don't have a flash new(ish) car, but could easily get one with a PCP, people often have a go at me for being tight. I believe this is a problem with society, we want things now and don't want to wait. Obviously banks and other groups help to sell this agenda. I have had some discussions recently, were I have pointed out "getting a flash car now" means I will pay an extra £5000 over three years. Answer "You can afford it, you tight cunt".  

The fact I sit on the left politically, I believe, is also a reason I begrudge working to give my money (interest etc) to other people. Also my up bringing, mum and dad not working, getting things on the tick, hiding from the man when he would knock. However the one who called me a "tight cunt" is my brother, so he saw the same.

• Upvote 2

I don't value money, I value time. Which is why I'm happy to be as tight as humanly possible in order to retire a few years early. I used to have ambition in uni but working life and the sheer volume of greedy, thoughtless cunts has sucked it out of me. Don't need many material possessions, just time and space to meditate, exercise and not be constantly stressed out. 

• Upvote 1

The only reason I desire lots of money is to free me and mine from the system.

Only when free of the system can I look to take it down.

I dont have and likely never will have lots of money and so alas the system it is for me.

How I wish things were different. More equal.

Money never used to worry me or bother me.  Sometimes I had loads, sometimes I didn't. Wasn't arsed as long as I had food and a roof over my head. 

Since I became a father though it's all consuming.  Childcare, Milk, Nappies, mortgage, utilities.  Everything I now do is centered around ensuring my daughter is secure.  This is why i take the "we never see you anymore, oh man up and come on the ale" rippings without complaint as there's nothing more manly than providing for your child. This unfortunately means money, money, money. 

Everything I go to buy I run it through the babby-o-meter in my head "that's half a days childcare that" "that's a fortnights worth of nappies" and if I can't justify the spend then I wont do it.  Simple as. 

Money is a prick

• Upvote 4

Jairzinho and Hades posts sum it up for me.

I'm lucky in that I earn enough so the bills and mortgage is covered and that my missus could give up her job to look after the kid. But I hate that everything is geared towards money and earnings. I got off Facebook for that exact reason. Oh look at my new car, my 3rd holiday this year, my new phone etc etc when they owe their fucking bollocks to the banks. Money is a method of exchange. Shouldn't be the be all and end all.

Back to the barter system the lot of ye.

I use to be shit with it. I'm not tight, generous, but not to a fault. I'm careful with cars, loans, debts and big purchases. I have no debt except for the house, cars outright, I don't have a credit card and don't use an overdraft. I'm. It particularly impressed by cars, wealth or houses. Travel though would be my weskness, if I gave the dough is be out of work and travelling, not holidaying, travelling like a shot.

It took till I was about 24 before I stopped relying on parents for the odd 10 or 20 here and there. Then about another 6 years till I stopped being skint at payday.

I earn okay, I have steady well paid job, it's not exceptional but has improved in the last year. Which is great as we've just had our first child and she'll go part time and will take the 12mths maternity.

The bigger shit, mortgage, pensions, padded Uni fund, savings and investments are in place, developing and we won't go poor into retirement, maybe lucky to buy a holiday home and go travelling for a year or two, but neither will it be first class travel, five star hotels, speedboats and page 3 birds either.

I piss it away.

Only time I'm able to save any is if I'm getting something at the end of it. My car is on its last legs, I'm hoping I'll get another 6 months out of it? That'll give me chance to clear a few debts. I'm going to knock the gambling on the head and stop buying trainees.

Will bump this thread in 6 months and see where my sorry ass is at.

I think to be mortgage free would be heaven. Moving home in the Celtic Tiger just as it collapsed then being unable to sell my original home was the biggest mistake of my life. Going from a 55,000 mortgage to 370,000 at the stroke of a pen. Then having to default and having one place repossessed. All due to an extreme neighbour from hell situation.

Credit rating is now shot but the good thing about that is you can only buy what you can afford and not have loans all over the shop for the newest car on the estate or paying back on some extreme 2 week holiday for 3 years.

• Upvote 2

I'm 1 old person away from being mortgage free(the wife's grandad). Problem is I'll probably go before him, can't even do the old roller skate on the stairs as he live in a bungalow.

I spunked a load of my parents money away when I was fucking around at various universities, what an ungrateful little shite I was. I'll never be able to repay them but I try and look after them now. My mum mentioned the other day that she's worried about her and dad retiring and having enough money. In reality they'll be ok, house is paid for and they've got a couple of pensions. Nearly broke my heart as if I hadn't spent all their money when I was 20 they'd be a lot better off.

• Upvote 2