You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Money

Ginny

Yeah, it's total fucking shite. After eight pints who can be arsed to be keeping count of who bought what. Are we on the second round of rounds? Was it pints or shots? Just buy your own fucking drinks.

Get a kitty. Can't be arsed with everyone going the bar every round. Fuck that shit

• Upvote 1

Get a kitty.

Fuck that. People drink at different at speeds, and anyway it would probably end up being me that has to keep hold of the money because I'll be about the only person still able to count after seven pints. I can't be arsed with that on a night out. And some of my other mates would end up sticking it on a horse or in the fruity, or buying a bag of beak. Just buy your own drinks, or do round with one or two other people just to save a bit of time at the bar. We tried doing a kitty once for someone's stag do. About 15 of us out in a city none of us really knew. Four made it back to the hotel. You can't be doing a kitty with these sort of people.

If there's more than two of you, you've got to have a kitty, shirley there's not groups of people out together buying their own drinks ?? c'maan.

There were people I used to work with who I'd avoid going out with because of rounds/kitties.  It's not that anyone is tight or that, I just hate having to think about other people's drinks, etc.  It consumes too much of my brain when I want to just sit about drinking and relaxing and then going up to the bar to get a drink when I've finished the one I have. It's OK if there are three people maximum, but more than that and it just does my head in. 

Like with a kitty, you go out my a group of women and you're drinking pints and they're having gin and tonics but I'm paying for it?! Haha, what... It's not that I actually begrudge getting the cash out, it's just totally fucking bizarre as a concept to me.

Then again, all that said, I'm a cunt so... 

• Upvote 1

I'm happy for anyone to drink at their own pace, just as bad as someone not getting their round in is being in a round with someone that wants to neck a pint or someone that wants to sup it for half an hour. I'm more than happy for us all to buy our own and drink at our own pace.

But kitties can and do work.

I've been on certain sporting tours and spent £200 for a 4 or 5 nights tour and never been sober.

Kitty for me definitely. If I'm just in the pub with a few mates then rounds are sound. If it's a proper night out then a kitty means you all pay in the same and saves people trying to take you to a cheaper pub for their round. I'm fucked if I'm going the bar every time I want a drink, spread that shit out.

I'm not arsed if someone is drinking a more expensive drink than me, if one of my mates is having a drink that costs a pound more than the rest and he has ten drinks, spread over a kitty of 6/7 people then it's costing less than £2 each. Even if a few people are drinking a more expensive drink it's only likely to cost £5/6 more and there will be occasions I get a more expensive drink so...

some kind of financial awareness should be taught at school, it'd save a lot of problems described in this thread.

Maths covers a lot of it but doesn't take into consideration that the vast majority people are fucking nuts.

I was a tit with money until a few years ago (spent every penny I had & was in the deep end of my overdraft for two weeks a month) but I knew exactly what I was doing.

The country is built on debt though so why would they want to produce money savvy people. 

I've never, ever, met a university student who knew what intrerest rate a student loan was. Needless to say, the universities don't want you to think about it while they're peddling their useless shite to you.

Where do you think you are? Finland? 

It's easier said than done that.  People think you're weird if you try to opt out of doing rounds. 

One of my mates is minted & I always used to be skint & I'd get no end of stick for saying at the start of the night, "I've only got £40, so I'll just get my own tonight." or something to that effect. Quite why people have a problem with this, I'll never understand but I've met a few who have.

Nowadays I have enough money to keep up so we just do rounds with whoever else is out.

Just heard that 50 cent has declared himself bankrupt.

I remember I used I get £1800 every three months in uni. I would somehow not worry about money and always have it. Going out drinking and having a laugh.

Now I get a lot more than that every month and manage to spend it all and I'm no happier. Got a decent car, nice clobber etc...

The day I can afford to do a weekly shop in m&s and still have enough to eat out now and then, buy games/dvds/clothes/gig tickets and the like whenever I want.. that's me happy. At the moment I can afford to do that for one week per month, so not so bad.

I owe quite a bit of money. I reckon in total I owe various companies about 800-1000 total. I probably could and should make an effort to start paying it back because I've got bad credit but nearly everything I own of value is at my ma's house so I'm not worried by any threats or knocks at the door. A few years ago I used to go to bed stressing because of money woes and it had a massive effect on the best relationship I've ever had so I've learned to stop stressing about money, though it's easy for me to say that having the family I do (they wont bail me out, but if things ever got really bad they'd help me and take me in)