You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Our best Centre Midfielder

Lucky Pierre

We got 4th by default because nobody else could win a game in the run in and we only got 60 points. Hence Houllier losing his job. Gerrard did play well in the last few games in particular to get us over the line but he was much better overall in seasons like 05/06 and 08/09.

For you he was better in those seasons, clearly not for me. It's a subjective thing.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Gerrard's best ever season for me was 03/04. Absolutely superb he was, playing CM.

Best behind Torres for me. 07 I think.

I think most would consider Gerrard to be in our top 3 players of all time. I never got to see Souness live and no doubt his conduct as manager of the club has soured my opinion on him somewhat - but in my eyes there isn't even a slight doubt that Gerrard was the better player.

Those numbers are pretty damning, but aren't actually that dissimilar from the previous seasons (last spring possibly excluded). We function much better without him, and have done so for a number of years now (since August 09 I reckon). His decline has been compounded by injuries and a busy schedule. Looking as fit (no body fat) as he does, it's close to shocking how badly he has aged on the pitch. The slip was the penultimate nail in his coffin, and his header for Suarez' goal against England the final. This season has been nothing short of disastrous from him. I wish Rodgers would give him a rest until the last game now, so that he doesn't tarnish his legacy further. Put him on for the last 10 minutes or so against Palace to get the thunderous applause he deserves for his efforts for the club (or if nothing rides on the game he could start and be taken off after an hour).

As for the question, I agree with the sentiment that (bar 03/04 when he actually was as close to a one-man team as I've seen) he did his best work in other positions than as a traditional centre midfielder in a two-man midfield. I'd have Souness over him in that position. In a three-man midfield I'd say it's a toss-up between him and Xabi, both being a bit more important too our play than Masch and Hamann, but still dependent on the latter to produce his/their best form... Haven't seen enough of us pre 1980s to form a qualified opinion.

His goals and explosive runs were always so eye-catching that his actual influence (or lack of it) on games tended to be forgotten. Both him and Lampard have benefited from free(ish) roles in their respective teams to bolster their numbers, and his longevity and allround ability means he'll always be in any debate regarding our best ever player. I think 30 years from now the consensus will still be that Kenny is our best, but the younger generation will possibly be swayed by the great goals and special moments he's given us.

Best Liverpool player I've seen live: John Barnes

Most complete/all-round player: Gerrard

Best central midfielder: Souness 

Really, really tough one and an interesting question, good thread. 

I suppose it depends what you want from a midfield midfield player. Zidane was my favourite ever player but he used to coo over Didier Dechamps who, while not spectacular, kept the Juve and France midfield ticking over. 

I think a great midfield general has to play for the team as well as himself, I think Gerrard could do that but he's also prone to taking too much on and trying to be all things to all men - many times because he had to. 

I think he's our greatest ever player within context, but was he technically our best midfield player? No idea - I never saw enough of Souness to comment, so I'd say Gerrard probably was. 

I'd put Mascherno up there  though, when it comes to all those things above, making the team tick and having that inbuilt sense of balance of rhythm that kept a side going, I've never seen anyone better in a red shirt. Hamann was similar, but not as much of a presence as Masch at that IMO, fucking pitbull. 

I completely agree that Gerrard's best seasons were 05/06 and 08/09 when he wasn't playing in centre mid. The likes of Souness, McMahon and Molby were also playing in 2 man midfields that were never overrun by the oppostion, which is a rare thing today.

It's strange how people forget how good Gerrard was in his early 20's.  He was the best centre mid in the country if not the world for a long time.  He was all over pitch every single game doing absolutely everything.  The 05 season and Istanbul was the climax to the real life Roy of the Rovers. The fact that people use that as a criticism is hilarious.  When it's Liverpool fans doing it though it's unforgiveable.

People come out with comments like Souness had everything when in actual fact he didn't.  He was a great player, one of the best but he wasn't Gerrard.  Gerrard did everything literally and had everything.  There wasn't a poor side to his game and the weak criticism about positional sense is the only subjective nonsense people could come out with.

He got put behind the striker and did what he did every time he was put anywhere that wasn't centre mid; a better job than any other centre mid could and nearly better than anyone else in the country who's position that was.  There hasn't been a more complete player than Gerrard and it's what makes him the best cenrte mid I've seen.  End of story.