You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

£116m last Summer, who would you have bought?

Gym Beglin

So that's £83m income from sales of Reina, Suarez, Kelly, Agger, Robinson and Coady. You then get a £33m top-up from the board. Have at it:

Schneiderlin - £16m (did not move)

I think we could have got him for that. When Southampton got more and more money from us and Arsenal and United, it meant they could hold out for more, so he wouldn't have gone for less than £35m in the end.

Had we made him our target from the off, we might well have gotten him for a lot less, I don't think Koeman knew much about him at first.

Memphis Depay - £20m (did not move)

Again, who knows, maybe a bidding war could have ensued with Van Gaal if he became available. But, clubs like PSV don't go turning down £20m offers. They might have held out for £23m, but they crumble eventually, they always do. He's young and inexperienced in some ways, and that plays into our hands as at this stage the likes of Madrid and Barca aren't interested in an unfinished talent. We'd have been over-paying, but we had a lot of money, we could do that with a couple of these lads.

Toby Alderweireld - (loan)(as cost to Southampton)

Not sure if Atletico would have loaned him to us, considering we are CL and Southampton are not. Who knows, maybe we could have bought outright.

Dusan Tadic - £10.9m (as cost to Southampton)

His form last season spoke for itself, he was a brilliant technician and hard worker for Twente, and it was clear that we needed to help Sterling and Coutinho out in creating chances across all competitions.

Ricardo Rodriguez - £14m (did not move)

I can't see Wolfsberg holding out for more for a left back, and this would be the ceiling for bidding for him. As it goes, he's now injured, but he's who I would have bought.

Gylfi Sigurdsson - £6m (around £3m to Swansea, + Ben Davies)

Not sure how much Swansea paid for him because the Ben Davies deal muddied it. However, Spurs only paid £8.8m for him and so I'd not go over that valuation, and would actually expect to pay closer to £6m.

I've just always liked him, he's got a winning attitude as well, he's very self-assured, and you always need players who can self-motivate and not be affected by pressure. He's a true number 10 as well, so it gives us that option of playing something other than a 433 from time to time.

Moussa Sissoko - £14m (didn't move)

Again, might not have gotten him, but I'd have bid. His performances for France in the World Cup impressed me no-end. Big, strong, technical, scores goals on occasion, still room to improve.

Fraser Forster - £10m (Southampton, £10m)

This would be a weird signing in some ways, because he's not a massive improvement on Mignolet. That said, I think the price represents value and we needed another top keeper. I would happily rotate Mignolet and Forster while we find a suitable long-term solution, a la Lloris, the sweeper-keeper.

Salomon Kalou - £4m (went from Lille to Hertha Berlin for 5m euros)

He went for as little as this, and joined Hertha Berlin. Already has 3 goals in 4 games. I would certainly have enquired about him, and to know he was available for as little as this would have sealed the deal.

Juan Iturbe - £20m (went from Verona to Roma for 22m euros)

Another one to overpay for, but I think it's clear to see that you're paying for someone with real ability and work-rate and strength and attacking potency, he's so direct.#

£114m total.

Notes:

(Jay Rodriguez is a favourite of mine, but I wouldn't be able to justify spending big on a key player who was injured, and still is)

(Kasper Schmeichel would have been a GK option for me, but with Leicester coming up they wouldn't have let him go for anything sensible, so non-starter)

• Upvote 1

GKs: Mignolet, Forster

Defs: Johnson, Flanno, Sakho, Toure, Skrtel, Alderwerield, Enrique, Rodriguez (with intention of retiring Toure in 2015)

Mids: Gerrard, Allen, Henderson, Sissoko, Schneiderlin, Lucas

Attackers: Coutinho, Sigurdsson, Iturbe, Sterling, Tadic

Strikers: Sturridge, Kalou, Depay, Borini

Sure, still some gaps, but a solid and exciting but hard-working team to give us a good season to further build.

Sissoko looks like a bit of a dozy cunt to me. Song is twice the player he is and we might have been able to get him on loan too. 

I don't see the big hoo-ha about Rodriquez either. I think Moreno will develop into a better player. I don't rate Sigurdsson, no better than what we've got and turned us down once before for money, now he's back playing for Swansea, he can get to fuck. 

Kalou looked a better player for Lille than he did Chelsea, but even Joe Cole looked good for Lille, for that reason alone I'm out. 

Not seen enough of Forster to say whether he's good enough, but I don't think he's any better or worse than Mignolet. He also has a more organised defence and DMs in front of him. Not sure he'd have 6 clean sheets if he was playing for us 

Fabregas. It was obvious he was leaving Barcelona and that Arsenal weren't interested. We might have had a chance of getting him. We should have made a crazy offer to him, he would have improved us immensely. 

Schneiderlin too would have been a good option for central midfield.

I know we tried to get Sanchez but the prick didn't want to come here but he would have been brilliant, very disappointed that didn't come off.

• Upvote 1

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Rodriquez

Di Sciglio

Fernando

Konoplyanka

Vietto

And if we'd sold Suarez I'd have looked at spending a big chunk on Higuain.

Bit of a rant here but...

As someone said, we lost out to Arsenal with Sanchez when that fuck Wenger was over in Brazil playing futsal on the fucking beach. 

We knew Suarez was going to fuck off and Sanchez was leaving Barcelona. We should have been all over that. Instead we let Wenger get the deal sorted way ahead of time. 

Fair enough maybe he simply preferred London but to be honest I doubt we had our shit together in trying to sign him. Because we rarely seem to. 

He should have been priority number 1. 

• Upvote 1

As someone said, we lost out to Arsenal with Sanchez when that fuck Wenger was over in Brazil playing futsal on the fucking beach. 

We knew Suarez was going to fuck off and Sanchez was leaving Barcelona. We should have been all over that. Instead we let Wenger get the deal sorted way ahead of time. 

Fair enough maybe he simply preferred London but to be honest I doubt we had our shit together in trying to sign him. Because we rarely seem to. 

He was.

It's all old news though. Loads of us in the Summer transfer thread were saying the same thing before it even came to light Wenger was in Brazil tying up a deal.

This "hindsight" bollocks is a load of shit aswell. I see a lot of the same people mentioning the same names they did before the window even opened.

He was.

We don't know that for sure though do we? 

I mean I don't he wasn't. I obviously cannot categorically state that. All I know is it seemed like we tried to convince him to come only when the Suarez deal was in the pipeline which was already a few weeks after Wenger had been talking to him. 

Wouldn't have sold/loaned out - Reina, Agger, Ilori, Wisdom, and Ibe.

Would have sold/released - Jones, Mignolet, Johnson, Toure, Lucas, and Borini.

Happy with the signings of - Moreno, Markovic, Origi, and Can (despite not really knowing much about him when we signed him, so could scrub that one).

Wouldn't have signed - Lovren, Lallana, Manquillo, Lambert, and Balotelli.

Would have signed - a goal keeping coach, and a young goal keeper. A nine foot six, 28 stone holding midfielder, from Guinea-Bissau. Enner Valencia. Nicolas Castillo. Zlatan Ibrahimovic (I am not being serious here, he wouldn't move to us). Maybe break the bank for Reus.

Would have actually played Suso.

We'd have probably wrapped the league up by February.