You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The official soul-searching 'where did it all go wrong?' thread

Pureblood

You know, the whole "we're going to win the league" thing?  Or did the last two games not happen...

We all got caught up in it, it didnt happen. Doesnt mean it hasnt been a fantastic season. They made us dream.

We all got caught up in it, it didnt happen. Doesnt mean it hasnt been a fantastic season. They made us dream.

Yes, of course.  But there is room for a bit of reflection on where we can improve, is there not?  I recognise the progress made but am interested in how to fix the shortcomings.  

Yes, of course.  But there is room for a bit of reflection on where we can improve, is there not?  I recognise the progress made but am interested in how to fix the shortcomings.  

Fair comment.

But we musnt let the last few games skew the picture. At long last we have a manager that we can trust to do what you say.

• Upvote 1

Fair comment.

But we musnt let the last few games skew the picture. At long last we have a manager that we can trust to do what you say.

I agree, I am optimistic about the future.  I just hope that if the worst happens on Sunday we can learn from what happened and make sure it doesn't happen again.  

• Upvote 1

I don't think anybody could be blamed for the Chelsea result, nobody would of guessed that Mourinho would of played 10 men behind the ball at Anfield, whilst still in the title race with one of the most expensively assembled squads in world football. That was a cunt trick to the extreme, and the time wasting from the opening whistle was one of the most embarrassing things i've ever seen on a football pitch.

The Crystal palace game was were it went wrong, we needed the 3 points to put pressure on City's shoulders and that last 12 minutes was nothing short of a capitulation after running on empty for the last couple of weeks.

You couldn't be more wrong if you tried, you're that wrong im thinking you might be taking the piss.

For a start Gerrard can be blamed for the Chelsea result, its shit, its cruel, its a kick in the nuts that it was him but lets not pretend it didn't happen, he fucked up and it cost us and him and the club big time, that was the moment the title went, it was in our hands upto that point.

Nobody would have guessed Mourinho would put 10 men behind the ball? you are either completely clueless, tking the piss or have you been hidden under a rock this season.

The Crystal Palace game was not where it 'all' went wrong at all, far from it, it was already out of our hands and gone by then, Everton was our last hope, City were/are never going to let it slip against 2 cannon fodder teams at home that are already on their holidays.

Gerrards fuck up was the defining moment of this title race, thats where it swung and was lost, its a bitter pill to swallow but fuck the denial/trying to make out it was other things like the Palace game when the title was already long gone before we even kicked off in that.

Exactly. People will remember the Chelsea and Palace games, but some of these results earlier in the season left us with practically no margin for error.

We'd have needed to win 13 and drawn 1 of our last 14 games to win it. That's beyond championship form. As it is, we're likely to finish with 12 wins, 1 draw and 1 defeat from those which is still outstanding.

Southampton at home

Swansea away

Newcastle away

Hull away

Villa at home

West Brom away

Palace away

All this is bullshit.

City, Chelsea, Arsenal, hell every team even Cardiff can look back at points they shouldn't have dropped during the season, its not just a rule for us.

Blame Gerrard if it makes you feel hard.

But you could just as easily blame the system he is following instructions to play by.

Or by extension, the valid contention that we haven't had a genuine, able DM now since well before this season started.

And all that, despite Gerard being a smashing DM for the last 4/5 months, in all but about 2 or 3 games maybe.

Yeah, we can blame Gerrard.... whether we make it look easy or hard to do so.

But I won't blaming him.

Nor the system that's got us from 7th to 2nd in one season.

Next season?  Well, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

In the meantime, I'll enjoy being in the title mix... however impossibly... tomorrow afternoon.

Fucking oath I will.

• Upvote 1

Im just pointing out the reality of the situation and not dressing it up as something its not, if some of you cant accept the truth then more fool you.

Whatever happened before that Chelsea game doesn't matter, its irrelevant, the fact of the matter is we had gotton ourselves into an amazing position of needing 7 points from 9 to win the holy grail and we failed.

Gerrards mistake cost us the league, theres no getting away from it if you are honest with yourself.

Just because im saying that doesn't mean im bashing him, what it means i haven't got my head stuck up my arse and i can see clearly.

• Upvote 1

Oh, and if City lose tomorrow and we win the title, then of course it's Kompany's fault for our winner at Anfield.

It would be very harsh on the lad, but fair.

It's all that simple.

Err, yeah it was Kompanys fault for the winner at Anfield, it was a bad mistake that cost them the game ye daft prick.