You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

little things that annoy the shit out of you

boots123

2 minutes ago, Curly said:

Also, I didn’t say “important person” as you quoted - I said “important call”. Very misleading misquote that

I said important person because they'd be making the important call. If in the Post Office then you'd just step out of the queue or go to a different area,or pop outside for a minute or two.

2 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

Ha ha, it was actually a typo. But I'll take tit negging for not proof reading my post 

Haha - I did think it might have been, but couldn’t resist

17 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I said important person because they'd be making the important call. If in the Post Office then you'd just step out of the queue or go to a different area,or pop outside for a minute or two.

In an ideal world I could, but if I’ve been waiting for a call from my energy provider, or bank, and am rushing from one place to the next with a toddler in tow or on my lunch from work, I might not have time to pop outside to spare the feelings of someone who is being paid to carry out a service role to the general public. I will however always apologise if in the situation though. A flat refusal to serve people on the phone is massively self-important as a practise and extremely ironic in the situations used

24 minutes ago, Curly said:

In an ideal world I could, but if I’ve been waiting for a call from my energy provider, or bank, and am rushing from one place to the next with a toddler in tow or on my lunch from work, I might not have time to pop outside to spare the feelings of someone who is being paid to carry out a service role to the general public. I will however always apologise if in the situation though. A flat refusal to serve people on the phone is massively self-important as a practise and extremely ironic in the situations used

The simple answer is to turn the phone off completely for a few minutes. It's basically the way humans have lived for most of their existences.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Curly said:

I understand what you’re saying but it’s basic manners and most of the time the conversation isn’t urgent at all it’s just bints gossiping or lids saying “lad lad I know yeah yeah lad did he lad yeah what lad no way lad” 

Im sure if you were to say “I’m so sorry I’m on the phone it’s an urgent call with my doctor about an arse infection” they’d say “no worries!” 

• Haha 1

The wife leaves her crusts. In fact, she never finishes any of the food she prepares for herself. Reckons her grandma was the same.

As she’s a committed environmentalist, I could pick her up on this and accuse her of some form of hypocrisy, aligned to her willingness to waste food. 

I would still like to have the occasional ‘how’s your father’ though so, instead, we have a dog. 

8 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

The wife leaves her crusts. In fact, she never finishes any of the food she prepares for herself. Reckons her grandma was the same.

As she’s a committed environmentalist, I could pick her up on this and accuse her of some form of hypocrisy, aligned to her willingness to waste food. 

I would still like to have the occasional ‘how’s your father’ though so, instead, we have a dog. 

Really, wow  that's quite the admission.

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, YorkshireRed said:

My missus is the same, and we've got a dog.

Still no hows your father though.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

The simple answer is to turn the phone off completely for a few minutes. It's basically the way humans have lived for most of their existences.

Ah yes. The forward thinker. Progress knows no bounds. 

2 hours ago, YorkshireRed said:

That poor fucking mutt.

• Haha 1

Smart motorways.

Oh yeah, its really smart having an unfinished stretch of road at motorway speed with yer arse getting pummelled by banding and weird tarmacky lines.

Most motorists are clueless as to how they work and add to that 2 lanes of traffic joining the motorway at every 3 miles with no hard shoulder.

A classic example of 'if it isn't broke, don't fix it'.

5 minutes ago, Clem H Fandango said:

Smart motorways.

Oh yeah, its really smart having an unfinished stretch of road at motorway speed with yer arse getting pummelled by banding and weird tarmacky lines.

Most motorists are clueless as to how they work and add to that 2 lanes of traffic joining the motorway at every 3 miles with no hard shoulder.

A classic example of 'if it isn't broke, don't fix it'.

Is there a different way to approach them to a normal motorway? I just thought it was an extra lane and more cameras? Plus it helps with middle lane drivers, as they more often park in the second lane now and leave the 2 over taking lanes free in my experience.

23 minutes ago, Curly said:

Is there a different way to approach them to a normal motorway? I just thought it was an extra lane and more cameras? Plus it helps with middle lane drivers, as they more often park in the second lane now and leave the 2 over taking lanes free in my experience.

Yes, soft suspension as there is no smooth tarmac until 2026. That is if the project gets completed.

2 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

They’re called ‘Managed Motorways’ now. 

I had a motorway awareness course on Thursday to avoid the three points. Load of bollocks. 

And is there anything more specific than adding a lane to reduce congestion, and adding variable speed limits to manage the traffic build ups?

10 minutes ago, Curly said:

And is there anything more specific than adding a lane to reduce congestion, and adding variable speed limits to manage the traffic build ups?

we have 3 then it goes 4 then it goes 3 then back to 4 then its 3 again....whilst 2 lanes of traffic keep joining.

I'm on a bike so i'm pretty clued up and aware of whats around me, but by the lord of fuck its a donor lottery out there.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Clem H Fandango said:

we have 3 then it goes 4 then it goes 3 then back to 4 then its 3 again....whilst 2 lanes of traffic keep joining.

I'm on a bike so i'm pretty clued up and aware of whats around me, but by the lord of fuck its a donor lottery out there.

Ah, I see - thanks mate. 

I don’t see much to brag about in myself, but my motorway driving might just be one of my most redeeming features, so hopefully I’m still getting things right and keeping myself and others safe out there.

Take care on the bike mate - plenty of us other motorists making mistakes on the roads out there!

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Why are drive thrus getting narrower and narrower I feel like I need the fucking magic bus from Harry potter these days.

It's a new nanny state health initiative to keep the tubsters out.

Bellend taxi drivers. Not even a bluenose, it’s a firm of Indian fellas. Went to play snooker with my boy last night. We were pretty tanked up but I still battered him, so as per the terms of our agreement he had to pay for the taxi home, should be less than a tenner. 

I just got in the back of the cab, whipped my phone out and thought nothing more of it. A few minutes later I looked out the window and noticed he’d driven a long way round, we were no more than sixty seconds walk away from the boozer but we’d been driven all the way round town. Thinking back this morning, I still can’t see any way of getting from our starting point to where we were without some kind of shenanigans. It’s not possible. 

I’m not one to let these things slide, and I’ve seen this firm have complaints on Facebook about this stuff recently, so I said hang on a minute, how’s it taken us five minutes to get from there to here? Then he said “do you even know where we are?” and that’s when I really saw my arse. Cheeky cunt. I’ve been unsuccessfully driving around this town for a lot longer than this prick. He was clearly thinking because we were pissed and it was dark he could take mad detours and run up the meter. 

Argued the rest of the way back with him pulling over a couple of times as if to kick us out of the cab. I’m fucking furious, feel like going on a killing spree AKA one man and his dog. 

30 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Bellend taxi drivers. Not even a bluenose, it’s a firm of Indian fellas. Went to play snooker with my boy last night. We were pretty tanked up but I still battered him, so as per the terms of our agreement he had to pay for the taxi home, should be less than a tenner. 

I just got in the back of the cab, whipped my phone out and thought nothing more of it. A few minutes later I looked out the window and noticed he’d driven a long way round, we were no more than sixty seconds walk away from the boozer but we’d been driven all the way round town. Thinking back this morning, I still can’t see any way of getting from our starting point to where we were without some kind of shenanigans. It’s not possible. 

I’m not one to let these things slide, and I’ve seen this firm have complaints on Facebook about this stuff recently, so I said hang on a minute, how’s it taken us five minutes to get from there to here? Then he said “do you even know where we are?” and that’s when I really saw my arse. Cheeky cunt. I’ve been unsuccessfully driving around this town for a lot longer than this prick. He was clearly thinking because we were pissed and it was dark he could take mad detours and run up the meter. 

Argued the rest of the way back with him pulling over a couple of times as if to kick us out of the cab. I’m fucking furious, feel like going on a killing spree AKA one man and his dog. 

He’s just posted on CabsNet that some pissed up racist attacked him with a snooker queue for taking a shortcut 

On 10/03/2024 at 10:32, chrisbonnie said:

Ha ha, it was actually a typo. But I'll take tit negging for not proof reading my post 

I'm not sure what a tit negging is but I am prepared to get involved

• Upvote 1