You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mamadou Sakho

The Great Jacko

One of our better players yesterday, but he has a bit of a habit of getting drawn towards the ball unnecessarily. I think he was partly at  fault for the first goal yesterday. When the midfielder moves into our half - I think it was Arteta(?) - Sakho comes a very long way forward to meet the player when I think he should have backed off, considering how far the player with the ball was away from our goal. He would have then been in a much better position to recover his place in the box after the pass was made in behind us. 

As it was, when the cross came in from Sagna, Sakho was about 5 meters outside the penalty area, leaving Skrtel and Toure 2 v 2. Cissokho should have done a lot lot better at preventing the ball coming in from Sagna, but the first mistake was Sakho's. 

I think he did something similar for the second goal we conceded at Swansea when he unnecessarily came out to meet Bony who had the ball, leaving the space in behind that allowed Shelvey and Michu to create the move for the goal.

He does a lot right, and generally played well yesterday, but this does seem to be a blind spot in his game that needs removing.

I agree, he is a bit rash at times, he is still young though and has potential to be a truly dominant CB, don't think 3 at the back is doing him any favours.

Sakho was at fault for the goal? The one that hit the post and just so happened to bounce back to the player? Nah. Not in agreement with that at all, mate. I thought he was brilliant yesterday. 

They were indeed fortunate that the ball rebounded kindly for Cazorla, but I think that if Sakho had not gone out to meet the player then he likely would have been in and around the spot where the ball came out to Cazorla who was able to meet it unchallenged. 

I don't hold Sakho responsible for the goal - Cissokho's failure to stop the ball in was a bigger contributing factor, along with the (bad) luck of how the ball came back off of the post -  but his movement played a part. I doubt I would have noticed it were it not for the resemblance to his movement for the goal against us at Swansea.

I do like him and I think he did very well yesterday, but this looks like a feature of his game that needs a bit of work.

• Upvote 1

I agree, he is a bit rash at times, he is still young though and has potential to be a truly dominant CB, don't think 3 at the back is doing him any favours.

Not sure about the 3 at the back or whether he would be better in a 4 (I prefer a 4, but not because of Sakho), but I agree with what you say about his potential. He's a very good player.

When Cabaye did the same he got slated for not closing him down.

Absolutely no one closed down Cabaye. If you watch the replay of Ramsey's goal Sakho attempts to get his leg in front of the ball while Toure just turns himself around. It was a wonder strike to be fair but if anyone could have done more to get in front of it then it was Toure.

Was Sakho even in shot for the first goal? Seemed like only 2\3 of the cbs were in the box

Sakho had run way up the pitch to press Arteta and hadn't got back in time. That's OK though, it's not like he can rely on our CM. My question is why couldn't the rest of the 5 defenders and the couple of defensive midfielder deal with a couple of players in the box.

It's deja vu. Any quick movement, intense pressure and our defensive organization goes to pot. It becomes a bunch of blokes running all over the place.

• 2 weeks later...

It is a bit of a dilemma really. Agger and Sakho on their game are both quality, and by far our best two centre backs, much as I love Kolo. Problem is they're both left footed, and I can't see them playing together in a back four. Given that successful sides are based on a consistent back two, I can't see either of them being happy being understudy to the other.

Far from unusual for two right footers to play together, so why is everyone concerned about two left peggers?

Probably because most left footers can't use their right foot at all, whereas most right footers are at least semi competent with their left.  I don't ever remember seeing two lefties together.  When we had Ruddock and Babb we always had to play a three to get both of them in the team.

I actually asked Carragher about this recently, as he often played left sided centre back, whilst the likes of Sami and Skrtel have too. He said the reason why it's not an issue for right footed players is because most of them are 65:35 or 70:30 in terms of right and left foot strength, whereas most lefties are 80:20 or 85:15.

In theory they should be able to do it, as realistically how often will they need to use their weaker foot and how often is it going to land them in trouble? It almost never happens though, and there must be a reason for that.  You hardly ever see left footed right backs either, but right footed left backs are common.  That's partly due to there being far more right footed players than left of course, but if you had two class left backs would you play one of them right back?  Never happens.

I mean, Cole and Baines are arguably the best two full backs England have, but no-one would play one of them right back would they?  And let's say Johnson and Walker were injured, would they play there then? No, either a (right footed) centre half or midfielder would get picked. If the two left backs were injured though Johnson would be switched across.  Maybe that will change one day, I mean the current vogue is to have 'inverted wingers' so maybe next it will be 'inverted full backs'.

As for the centre backs though, if Skrtel continues to play as he has been then it's not going to be an issue anyway, plus there's Toure who has done well also. In terms of partnerships, Sakho and Agger looks to be the least balanced pair we could put out, despite their undoubted individual quality.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Sakho seems really good with his right foot. Surely a lot of the reason for there not being as many (any) left footed partnerships has a lot to do with there not being many left footers. Certainly fewer than right footers.

It is a bit of a dilemma really. Agger and Sakho on their game are both quality, and by far our best two centre backs

Agger would be if he didn't make so many mistakes.  

He's overrated!

Sakho and Agger looks to be the least balanced pair we could put out, despite their undoubted individual quality.

Undoubted?  Agger has qualities, but he also has clear weaknesses.

Who is more likely to deal with Lukaku, Agger or Sakho?  Sakho for me and he was harshly dropped after the Arsenal game where he was one of our best players.

• Upvote 1