You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Red22

Ignoring the morons....

Am happy to be proved wrong. S31 you're probably the only person on here with brains enough to hold an argument with me. It's not about winning - I just want to discuss. Am happy to learn as you may have more knowledge than I do. I understand numbers - and the numbers say she did a great job.

You don't, because they don't. You're a spaz.

Care in the community sums the cunt up nicely.

Turf out the most vulnerable in society to save/make a few quid and fuck the consequences.

There wasnt anything fundamentally wrong with the principle (you of all people will recognise institutionalisation, in residents (for want of a better term) and staff); it was its poor implementation and subsequent exploitation by private business for profit that was/is so wrong

I've been waiting patiently for the "Margaret Thatcher sex tape" to surface, to no avail. I can just picture her with her skinny arse in the air and a braying rampant donkey about to stretch her sphincter. I would be prepared to pay five of your English Pounds for such a cinematic gem.

People aren't numbers though, which may be where you're going wrong.

Allow me to ramble momentarily. A party member was complaining about how the good things the Lib Dems were doing in government were being overshadowed by bad press on tuition fees, the bedroom tax and so on. But as another member pointed out, you can do all the good in the world, but if you mug one granny, everyone will still think you're scum.

Similarly with Thatcher, it's true she implemented a lot of things which really needed doing, but you can't ignore the people who suffered as a result of the deeply divisive way she went about things. And anyone who saw the suffering at close hand isn't likely to be persuaded by baseline figures.

Err, what?

All i did was mug one fucking granny and now all the nasty people hate me

Glad to see satire isn't dead

• Upvote 1

Even though your thoughts seem to have been formed by a 60 minute documentary?

No that was the catalyst. My thoughts are based on hard cold figures - namely inflation and interest rates. Please expain how she fucked up the economy from its utopian situation in 1979.

• Downvote 1

uk-unemployment-nov09.gif

At least you're trying to prove me wrong rather than some of the morons on here who just shout abuse. Am not sure unemployment is a proper guide as to economic performance. The unavoidable fact is that inflation and interest rates were out of control in 1979. Growth was stifled by unions. It needed a strong leader (perhaps a hate figure) to change this. The UK wouldn't be a G5 country today were it not for her (tough) decisions. London is the financial capital of Europe and that's down to her.

• Downvote 3

At least you're trying to prove me wrong rather than some of the morons on here who just shout abuse. Am not sure unemployment is a proper guide as to economic performance. The unavoidable fact is that inflation and interest rates were out of control in 1979. Growth was stifled by unions. It needed a strong leader (perhaps a hate figure) to change this. The UK wouldn't be a G5 country today were it not for her (tough) decisions. London is the financial capital of Europe and that's down to her.

You wank over her, don't you?

• Upvote 1

I'm sure that economic performance (ie, the 'numbers' you think are everything)  is not a proper guide to how successful a society is.

What the fuck good is it if inflation and interest rates are low, and some graph's showing economic 'growth' if these indicators don't lead to high employment and better levels of service in the public sector (schools, hospitals etc)? 

'Growth' and 'good numbers' aren't something to aspire to in themselves, they're supposed to be things that then give us a better society. And I don't know many people who'd argue that Thatcher gave us that.