You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe he just likes the nice bits like the hair and clothes and everything being put away properly in their places but nobody has asked him this so we don't know.

I'm not really sure what fascism is but I know it's a bit like racism or something and that's bad so I'm against it because racism is bad and think he should be sacked unless he gets a photo done with a black kid and says sorry.

I'm not really sure what fascism is

Here's the dictionary definition:

"A system of government marked by centralization of authority under a dictator, stringent socioeconomic controls, suppression of the opposition through terror and censorship, and typically a policy of belligerent nationalism and racism."

Here's the dictionary definition:

"A system of government marked by centralization of authority under a dictator, stringent socioeconomic controls, suppression of the opposition through terror and censorship, and typically a policy of belligerent nationalism and racism."

So he's a Tory then?

He's not that type of fascist he's one who gives good interviews the type of character we need to replace Colin Wanker in the game. Here is a Sunderland fan's view who is now an ex Sunderland fan.

Neil Green ‏@innerglee 3m

The owner's an asset-stripper, the shirt sponsor's an oil company front & now the manager's a fascist. Enough.

does fascist necessarily mean racist?that definition below says 'typically racist' Isn't fascist a elitist the opposite of a communist, would anyone care if he was a communist?

I'm pretty sure one of the main aspects of fascism is the belief in 'superior' and 'inferior' races.

Its a bit like appointing the leader of the National Front as club chairman.

While we'd all love to believe sport and politics are separate, thats simply not true.

A major football club in one of the most deprived areas of the country, deprived in a major part due to right wing idealism, tries to appease its fans by appointing a manager whose views take those right wing views to their most extreme.

What could possibly go wrong?

What does this mean? I'm don't give two shits who Sunderland appoint, and I doubt anybody else here does. It isn't an 'issue' for any of us that they've appointed him because its not our club. Meanwhile, most sane people will think he's a twat for his fascist views, and probably always held that opinion whoever he managed.

Well I was actually referring to the media!

Suddenly it is an issue - well, if you don't like Fascists then fair do's, but I can't really get on board if your main issue is that you don't want Fascists in the Premiership but don't really care if they are in the lower leagues!

Irrelevant to me, and one less headline that isn't about something Luis has 'done'.

In reference to the "wasn't a problem at Swindon" comment, most people are probably barely aware they exist, let alone who their manager is. I've always detested Di Canio since learning about his support of Lazio's fascist ultras, and always will.

Most of the people commenting in the media are aware of Swindon, and they were certainly aware of West Ham.

As you say, it has been common knowledge that he had sympathies that way.

Oh the media. Well.

Yep. Same with Lee Bowyer, racist when we were signing him, racist when West Ham signed him, astute signing when Newcastle and Bobby Robson signed him.

Selective moralising - something our media leads the world in.

James Richardson on the podcast tried to explain it, if you're Italian it's very normal to not view an issue, idea or historical event as a whole. Where as we would condemn Mussolini outright they might view actions and events individually and selectively, celebrating the good and condemning the bad. Hence the reason why he describes himself as a fascist but not racist. Struggle with that concept myself.

It's entertainment either way. I know I shouldn't and I'm well aware of both past and present Italian fascists well deserved vicious reputation, I just still can't take them seriously.