You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cortisone Injection

wevegot5

Anyone ever had one? Elbow been giving me grief. Went to the doctors and was told it is Tennis Elbow. Prescribed me some tablets and said to give them a go. Took the course and seemed ok but pain now back. Was told that i might need a cortisone injection if they don't work.

Now, not a prolific golfer, play the odd round but wouldn't mind playing a bit more this year. Noticed pain even when taking practice swings with the club.

If i have the injection does it last quite a while, or is it something you have done regular?

Mulling it over if i should get it or not. Cheers.

Did you just give the shoulder a rest and then some light weights.

Just a rest mate. Lifting weigths with a bad shoulder means you put stress on other muscles. Usually in the side and rib area and it gives you pain on the opposite side of your body. I fractured my right hand/wrist area from having problems with my left shoulder. I'm left handed so had to change my stance and weight movement and box orthodox for a while because of it and it wasn't natural and one day I was hitting the heavy bag with an altered stance and fucked my right hand.

The X-Ray looked like a map of the Philippines because of it.

Guest davelfc

Had a rotator cuff problem year or two ago, it's still not right. The pain was terrible and movement very restrictive. I had to almost beg the Dr for a cortisone injection and within a day it was night and day.

The pain was so bad I didn't feel the needle going in, I didn't care anyway.

For minor pains and things that can be fixed with physio, rest or a short course of tablets then you should avoid cortisone as it can cause problems later on.

Had a rotator cuff problem year or two ago, it's still not right. The pain was terrible and movement very restrictive. I had to almost beg the Dr for a cortisone injection and within a day it was night and day.

The pain was so bad I didn't feel the needle going in, I didn't care anyway.

For minor pains and things that can be fixed with physio, rest or a short course of tablets then you should avoid cortisone as it can cause problems later on.

Same problem I had. Rotator Cuff. The only way is to rest it and let it naturally heal. Its painful, makes you wince on movement, but injections just mask the problem and lead to more aggravation in the long run. My left shoulder is fucked from short term solutions. Even when out walking the Dog now I have to have him on my right side. He's a big bastard and pulls a lot and it gives me proper pain in my shoulder. Cortisone just numbs the problem.

Just a rest mate. Lifting weigths with a bad shoulder means you put stress on other muscles. Usually in the side and rib area and it gives you pain on the opposite side of your body. I fractured my right or atilochand/wrist area from having problems with my left shoulder. I'm left handed so had to change my stance and weight movement and box orthodox for a while because of it and it wasn't natural and one day I was hitting the heavy bag with an altered stance and fucked my right hand.

The X-Ray looked like a map of the Philippines because of it.

No mate I ment after the shoulder problem had heeled dod you do some light weights and physio,how is your hand and how is your boxing going as its the best sport in the world mate.

I noticed your location as the Wolfs Lair are you know into the cage fighting side of it.

No mate I ment after the shoulder problem had heeled dod you do some light weights and physio,how is your hand and how is your boxing going as its the best sport in the world mate.

I noticed your location as the Wolfs Lair are you know into the cage fighting side of it.

Yeah eventually mate. It took fucking ages to heal, as did my hand. in fact the bone damage healed quicker than the tendon/nerve problems in my shoulder.

I like Boxing/MMA. I'm from a Boxing family, my Uncle was pretty decent and he used to train me. Been into it since I was about 6 or 7 really.

Shoulder problems are one of the worst injuries as all your upper body movement goes through your shoulders. You give and take a punch through your neck and shoulders.

This cold weather is a bastard for hand and shoulder injuries. My right hand is numb all through the Winter.

Yeah eventually mate. It took fucking ages to heal, as did my hand. in fact the bone damage healed quicker than the tendon/nerve problems in my shoulder.

I like Boxing/MMA. I'm from a Boxing family, my Uncle was pretty decent and he used to train me. Been into it since I was about 6 or 7 really.

Shoulder problems are one of the worst injuries as all your upper body movement goes through your shoulders. You give and take a punch through your neck and shoulders.

This cold weather is a bastard for hand and shoulder injuries. My right hand is numb all through the Winter.

It's hard mate and when you pick up hand injuries it takes time as and has to heal properly.

Did you box amateur and at which club mate as I love game and know a lot of the local boxers,who was your uncle mate and do you still follow it yourself.

It's hard mate and when you pick up hand injuries it takes time as and has to heal properly.

Did you box amateur and at which club mate as I love game and know a lot of the local boxers,who was your uncle mate and do you still follow it yourself.

Is right mate, hand injuries are a crippler. Its all about the gloves really. Those MMA gloves dont protect your wrists at all, they are ok for knuckles but the joint into your hand at the top of your wrist suffers. The best pair I ever bought were from that shop on Utting Avenue about 18 years ago. I've still got them now. They are designed as Bag gloves, but only 9 ozs. So they are light enough to cause damage, but padded enough to protect. I've used Reyes Gloves and all sorts over the years but these no mark ones for a about a tenner were the best I've ever had.

I used to take them out with me when walking the Dog around Anfield years ago, it's a likely place to get into bother even for minding your own business, but they cause proper damage and leave little impact trace.

I used to Box in the Rotunda in Kirkdale, or Liverpool Boys Club I think it changed it's name to. I used to know quite a few lads in there.

My Uncle was an old school bare knuckle fighter back in the day. He was from around Chester way. Used to be mates with Randy Turpin back in his heyday.

My Uncle was a giant of a man. A WW2 solodier, when men were proper men, not like the fucking no marks these days.

I'm not 100% on the validity or accuracy, but I remember reading somewhere that frequent cortisone injections in the same area or for the same injury can lead to a build-up of deposits in the affected area that may well require surgery to clear. If that is in any way true, then to me it sounds like cortisone injection treatment isn't a particularly good long-term solution.

I'm not 100% on the validity or accuracy, but I remember reading somewhere that frequent cortisone injections in the same area or for the same injury can lead to a build-up of deposits in the affected area that may well require surgery to clear. If that is in any way true, then to me it sounds like cortisone injection treatment isn't a particularly good long-term solution.

And you would be correct in that assumption mate. They cause Calcium deposits and fuck knows what else. They iuncrease bone growth in the area they are injected so you get shards which then impact on the muscles.

Is right mate, hand injuries are a crippler. Its all about the gloves really. Those MMA gloves dont protect your wrists at all, they are ok for knuckles but the joint into your hand at the top of your wrist suffers. The best pair I ever bought were from that shop on Utting Avenue about 18 years ago. I've still got them now. They are designed as Bag gloves, but only 9 ozs. So they are light enough to cause damage, but padded enough to protect. I've used Reyes Gloves and all sorts over the years but these no mark ones for a about a tenner were the best I've ever had.

I used to take them out with me when walking the Dog around Anfield years ago, it's a likely place to get into bother even for minding your own business, but they cause proper damage and leave little impact trace.

I used to Box in the Rotunda in Kirkdale, or Liverpool Boys Club I think it changed it's name to. I used to know quite a few lads in there.

My Uncle was an old school bare knuckle fighter back in the day. He was from around Chester way. Used to be mates with Randy Turpin back in his heyday.

My Uncle was a giant of a man. A WW2 solodier, when men were proper men, not like the fucking no marks these days.

Randolph Turpin that's a name mate he was excellent back in the day,I don't know to much about the MMA but the Gloves look more like weightlifters gloves and not much protection,the Reyes gloves are decent my lads have used there"s for years and they do last.

You can't wack the Boxing training mate you read on here about diets and exercise but they wouldn't last fives minutes in a boxing gym not that I box but I watch what my lads do and see first hand the dedication you need.

Randolph Turpin that's a name mate he was excellent back in the day,I don't know to much about the MMA but the Gloves look more like weightlifters gloves and not much protection,the Reyes gloves are decent my lads have used there"s for years and they do last.

You can't wack the Boxing training mate you read on here about diets and exercise but they wouldn't last fives minutes in a boxing gym not that I box but I watch what my lads do and see first hand the dedication you need.

Yeah, youre absolutely spot on mate, those MA gloves are no more than weightlifters gloves with a bit of padding on the knuckles. You can get those in JJB sports and they really are nothing. Quite alot of cage fighters get arm and hand injuries because of them.

Randy Turpin was a big bastard so I'm told, a nice enough fella but you wouldnt want to cross him! I remember my Uncle telling me a story about him and a car. Randy was fighting in Amrica, must have been the Robinson return fight and left his car in the charge of a fella that my Uncle knew in a Pub. Anyway, so the story goes, this fella swapped the engines over in his and Randy's car, not a clever move and all hell let loose and this fella got properly injured. My Uncle stepped in and calmed it all down. My Uncle was in his corner at ringside when Randy beat Robinson in London to win the Middleweight title and apparently he was a BIG Middleweight. He used to walk around at about 14 stone plus between fights.

Those Reyes gloves that your lads use are pretty good, but they seem to be straight line gloves to me, OK for shoulder punches, but not a bodypunchers glove. I dont think they offer wrist protection for digs underneath at an angle.

I met Manny Pacquiao when he was over here for the Hatton fight, what a nice fella he is btw, a real polite gent outside the ring. I towred all over him but wouldn't fancy my chances! He said he used Reyes gloves for a while but not his favourite. Hatton didn't use Reyes for training either.

Where do your lads Box?

Yeah, youre absolutely spot on mate, those MA gloves are no more than weightlifters gloves with a bit of padding on the knuckles. You can get those in JJB sports and they really are nothing. Quite alot of cage fighters get arm and hand injuries because of them.

Randy Turpin was a big bastard so I'm told, a nice enough fella but you wouldnt want to cross him! I remember my Uncle telling me a story about him and a car. Randy was fighting in Amrica, must have been the Robinson return fight and left his car in the charge of a fella that my Uncle knew in a Pub. Anyway, so the story goes, this fella swapped the engines over in his and Randy's car, not a clever move and all hell let loose and this fella got properly injured. My Uncle stepped in and calmed it all down. My Uncle was in his corner at ringside when Randy beat Robinson in London to win the Middleweight title and apparently he was a BIG Middleweight. He used to walk around at about 14 stone plus between fights.

Those Reyes gloves that your lads use are pretty good, but they seem to be straight line gloves to me, OK for shoulder punches, but not a bodypunchers glove. I dont think they offer wrist protection for digs underneath at an angle.

I met Manny Pacquiao when he was over here for the Hatton fight, what a nice fella he is btw, a real polite gent outside the ring. I towred all over him but wouldn't fancy my chances! He said he used Reyes gloves for a while but not his favourite. Hatton didn't use Reyes for training either.

Where do your lads Box?

I went to Vegas with my younger son for his 18th for the pacquiao v marquez 3rd bout and we went to Zab Judas gym by the Stratosphere he was superb,the night before the big bout we went to the Mandalay Bay they had a HBO show on with a lot of Vegas and Mexican boxers on,we met Victor Ortiz he wes a nice

Bloke and also met Joe Cortez the Referee who had his picture took with my lad he was sound aswell.

Going back to the Reyes like yourself the have had the gloves for years and as you know the become attached,when the spar they wear Grants which are superb.

I went to Vegas with my younger son for his 18th for the pacquiao v marquez 3rd bout and we went to Zab Judas gym by the Stratosphere he was superb,the night before the big bout we went to the Mandalay Bay they had a HBO show on with a lot of Vegas and Mexican boxers on,we met Victor Ortiz he wes a nice

Bloke and also met Joe Cortez the Referee who had his picture took with my lad he was sound aswell.

Going back to the Reyes like yourself the have had the gloves for years and as you know the become attached,when the spar they wear Grants which are superb.

That sounds a cracking trip mate, met some top faces there. You cant beat being around a proper Gym around fight time. There is a real electric atmosphere. No pissing about, proper training, proper dedication and the fighters are really focused. I've been around a few proper Gyms when it matters and everybody is on edge and you can sense the atmosphere.

Those Grant gloves are pretty sound, you wont go far wrong with those. I had some of those as fight gloves, decent kit.

How old are your lads now?

That sounds a cracking trip mate, met some top faces there. You cant beat being around a proper Gym around fight time. There is a real electric atmosphere. No pissing about, proper training, proper dedication and the fighters are really focused. I've been around a few proper Gyms when it matters and everybody is on edge and you can sense the atmosphere.

Those Grant gloves are pretty sound, you wont go far wrong with those. I had some of those as fight gloves, decent kit.

How old are your lads now?

I read your posts and I got the idea you liked your Boxing and you knew your stuff and when you mentioned your shoulder it struck a cord on the injurys you can pick up,my lads currently got Tendon and Ligament damage in his wrist which happened after sparring about 3months ago,he got an X-ray there was nothing broken but the damage was done so he was told to rest and put his wrist in a removable cast.

He done everything they requested but know he needs further physio to hopefully sort it out.

My lads had great Amatuer careers and have both turned Pro so it's always buzzing in our house coming up to bout time as you can imagine.