You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Downing reborn?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Downing reborn?

• Yes, he has improve and we need to keep him.
    • No, he is still an average player and we can find better.
    • We need to evaluate him at the end of the season and take it from there.

He'd only had one transfer before so to say that he's always needed a season to settle in wherever he's played is pushing things a bit for me.

People scapegoat Downing because he's an attacking player who never shows the confidence to attack. He is mediocre always has been always will be.

I would suggest the fans and the owners are spot on in their appraisal of the position the club is in.

Why is it pushing things a bit to say that he took time to settle in at both Middlesborough and Villa?

He lacks confidence so let's get on his case a bit more?

Most fans are still having trouble with the idea that we're no longer challenging with the big boys and the owners haven't got a clue about the game.

Why is it pushing things a bit to say that he took time to settle in at both Middlesborough and Villa?

He lacks confidence so let's get on his case a bit more?

Most fans are still having trouble with the idea that we're no longer challenging with the big boys and the owners haven't got a clue about the game.

Because he wasn't transferred to Middlesbrough, he came through the ranks. Therefore he didn't need to take time to settle in. He was from there and had been at the club for yonks. Plus he was seen as pretty promising when he first got in the team as a kid. Downing had one transfer to Villa, so one time he took time to settle in. Once. Hardly a large sample size enough to say always.

Most fans know exactly why we aren't challenging the big boys. Lack of stability and nous through the club, and wasting immense amounts of money on poor players. Of course people have "trouble" with it, because they want to win and a lot of the mistakes are fricking obvious.

I agree with the scapegoating thing, and that it doesn't help fans getting on players backs. The best players help themselves in that regard though.

This thread had me go and watch a Ronaldinho video on you tube and I just noticed this comment.

Top Comments

Nothing to do with Downing I no but made me laugh.

I agree with the scapegoating thing, and that it doesn't help fans getting on players backs. The best players help themselves in that regard though.

We aren't talking about the best players we're talking about mid level players like Downing who have come here looking to improve or younger players like Henderson, Allen and Borini who may or may not realise their potential. That's the position we're in. Where do we draw the line? Unless a player is an instant hit like Sturridge or Suarez it's going to be very difficult for them because this scapegoating has become a horrible trend.

About Downing, from what I was told about his time at Middlesbrough it was only in his 2nd season in the 1st team that he began to show potential. He struggled in his 1st season for Villa and struggled last season for us with a 20m price tag swinging round his neck.

55m on Carroll and Downing in the space of 6 months led to an imbalance between reality and expectation. Half his price tag and it's a completely different story.

We aren't talking about the best players we're talking about mid level players like Downing who have come here looking to improve or younger players like Henderson, Allen and Borini who may or may not realise their potential. That's the position we're in. Where do we draw the line? Unless a player is an instant hit like Sturridge or Suarez it's going to be very difficult for them because this scapegoating has become a horrible trend.

About Downing, from what I was told about his time at Middlesbrough it was only in his 2nd season in the 1st team that he began to show potential. He struggled in his 1st season for Villa and struggled last season for us with a 20m price tag swinging round his neck.

55m on Carroll and Downing in the space of 6 months led to an imbalance between reality and expectation. Half his price tag and it's a completely different story.

Well that's the crux of the matter isn't it? Downing and Carroll were worth 15 million between them and we paid 55.

I agree that we need patience with new signings. We always used to be better at it, because the team as a whole was better so we didn't need a major impact from new players quite so desperately.

I think Downing also has a problem here, compared to your other players mentioned. Borini, Henderson and to a lesser extent Allen all were at the very start of their careers. Downing had 8 seasons of being ok, everyone knew he was never going to be better than ok. We pay 20 million for him, he performs in the poor to ok spectrum the whole time so the frustration comes out very easily.

Think when we have Suarez and Sturridge up front plus a more creative player on the other side, Coutinho or Sterling, there is a place for Downing in the side. The pressure on him to come up with something creative is not as pressing as when Suarez is up there alone and we are utterly dependant on the wide forwards to provide both width and bodies and runs into the box. Downing has a fantastic work rate, he's tidy in possession and keeps the ball moving aswell as he's more often than not available to receive the ball, very quick on the counter attack too. He's not a player to win us games though, but if the other 3 attacking players are i think Downing has a role to play.

He has been crap and a coward but now he isnt. Now he is worth his place in the team.

If we had been in the champions league he wouldnt have been bought, we'd have attracted someone proven and better. In our position purchases are more of a gamble so therefore more are likely not to work out. Its just the way it is, a fact of life.

Downing now needs the fans to forgive him for previously being shit. We did it with Lucas.

I'll admit that I was delighted we bought him. I watched the transfer rumour develop excitedly, more excitedly than I have for a long time. I thought he would be a fantastic player - I posted quite a bit about this at the time.

Rarely have I been more disappointed in a player. After a blistering debut, he just disappeared. I backed him, thinking he'd come good, but when he went hiding in games and everyone could see it, it was indefensible.

You've got to say, though, although he's not setting the world alight, he's more than worth his place in the team at present. I still back him. I think he'll get better. A defo keeper for me.

Just ignore that bottled 50/50 against Swansea...

I wasn't the only one who thought he'd come good. NV really rated him if I remember correctly.

The only thing that make Downing valuable is that he works his ass off defensive compared to some other at his position. He is a one trick pony offensively, and offers next to nothing.

I don't care how many assist or goals he has gotten, as they probably only have come up in big victories when the whole squad has been good. He is not one of the players that comes up with a performance, a goal, or an assist when we are in trouble, and that is what bothers me.

Good squad player, but get rid of him after the season since he is playing decent atm, and probably won't do any better than this. We can get younger and better players for the same money.

There's nothing more dissapointing in football than a shit £20 million winger.

Other then a shit £35m striker…

How on earth is Sterling third?

Because stats are shit and the vast majority of football fans are idiots who’ll base their opinions on what they’re told by the loudest mouth at the game/in the pub/on a forum, as opposed to what they see.

As for Downing? He’s actually done well recently. Certainly I could name a number of first choice players who deserve a lot more grief then he’s getting. But the baying masses have their claws in so he's done. Sadly, a very high percentage of fans just will not forgive or forget.

On current form in our current squad he's a starter for me. He was absolute shite for a long time but now seems to have settled and got a bit of confidence. It shouldn't be the case that he needed time to settle because he was 27 years old, played international football for years and played in the prem for his whole career. It seems though that is exactly what happened.

There's absolutely no reason to get rid of him until we have somebody better, performing consistently and possibly even somebody better than him on the bench. He's not a world beater but he does give you something different to Sterling, Coutinho and Suso. He's also probably our most two footed player after Suarez.

I'll admit that I was delighted we bought him. I watched the transfer rumour develop excitedly, more excitedly than I have for a long time. I thought he would be a fantastic player - I posted quite a bit about this at the time.

Rarely have I been more disappointed in a player. After a blistering debut, he just disappeared. I backed him, thinking he'd come good, but when he went hiding in games and everyone could see it, it was indefensible.

You've got to say, though, although he's not setting the world alight, he's more than worth his place in the team at present. I still back him. I think he'll get better. A defo keeper for me.

Just ignore that bottled 50/50 against Swansea...

I wasn't the only one who thought he'd come good. NV really rated him if I remember correctly.

Aside from the "deffo keeper" bit (I'd keep him if he continues to do well/improve but also be open to offers and be looking for better options) I'd agree with that post, he was never a 20million player in his own right but I thought at the time what he'd bring to the team in terms of balance and finally a proper winger he'd turn out a good signing but after an okay start I then started dreading seeing him on the teamsheet, not due to him being a bad player, I've seen enough of him for Villa/Boro to know he is actually very good when he tries something and has confidence, lately he has been good in home games against weaker opposition who in the main we have battered aside from West Brom but even in that game he was our best player but the jury remains very much out in away games and against tough opposition where we can't rely on him to turn up

he's too 1 dimensional.......was brought in to run down the touchline and deliver crosses to Carroll. He's not capable of much more and its been a little unfair of many to expect him to be something he's not. We need to replace him because we play less direct than when he was signed.

That whole table from second place downwards just proves that most fans know nothing about football.

It certainly doesn't prove that.

The system might be weighted badly, but it is what it is and Sterling earned a lot of votes in early parts of the season rightly, for good performances when he was one of the first names on the teamsheet. He won't be 2nd for much longer though and the table will start to balance out.

Think some people are forgetting how effective he was earlier in the season.

Realisitically though, Suarez has easily been our standout player this season and if you had to say right now who would be 2nd and 3rd based on the whole season (of course in a system like memory is as much as flaw as the weighting may be in Morse's system), then I think you'd get varying results.

It's not that ridculous to have Sterling contesting 2nd place as of when that table was produced, which may only take into account fixtures up until January or whatever, I don't know.

he's too 1 dimensional.......was brought in to run down the touchline and deliver crosses to Carroll. He's not capable of much more and its been a little unfair of many to expect him to be something he's not. We need to replace him because we play less direct than when he was signed.

I think the opposite, that we are less direct is all the more reason to keep him, for as long as we have three, four or five (five if we can land a quality central attacking midfielder in the summer) other attacking players who consistently deliver goals and can break patterns in play. As Downing is good in possession, works very hard, has good movement without the ball and is pretty much always available for a pass and is also fairly quick on the counter attack.

I think the thing when we bought him was we needed a creative player to consistently deliver goals and assists, when people realised Downing was not that player and we were struggling for goals and creativity, together with what we paid for him it most lost patience with him. And one can't really blame anyone for that.

Realisitically though, Suarez has easily been our standout player this season and if you had to say right now who would be 2nd and 3rd based on the whole season (of course in a system like memory is as much as flaw as the weighting may be in Morse's system), then I think you'd get varying results.

Suarez

Gerrard

Henderson

Easy, this.

Not getting all this Downing reborn shit, yes he has improved from diabolically shit to just shit. Perhaps I'm being too harsh on him, but I didn't think he had a good game on Sunday, his shooting his abysmal too. I'm starting to think its just me with everything I read about him starting to play well. We've had some dross over the years, some right cunts but I have to say he's right up there in my list of most hated LFC players. Can't stand the gutless, spineless cunt.