You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Oscar Pistorius

Champ

Below is a tweet from someone observing the trial. It was tweeted after Nel And Roux returned to the courtroom after the Judge had briefed them in chambers, but before the Judge had entered the courtroom to deliver her judgement.

Pistorius is up again. Roux and Oscar in tense conversation now. Uncle Arnold joins them. They all look grim faced.

If the evaluation says that there is nothing wrong with him, which I suspect it will, then he may have to start getting used to being confined to small rooms.

9.26am BST

Judge Masipa indicated very early on when delivering her decision that she was tending towards the state case – her first mention of the defence's opposition to the referral was to call it "strange".

9.35am BST

Masipa made it clear that the evidence that effectively obliged her to grant the state's application for referral was that of Dr Merryll Vorsterthe forensic psychiatrist who is actually a defence witness.

Vorster met Pistorius only twice, both times in May this year, well after the trial had begun, and after Pistorius had given his evidence on the stand.

Prosecutor Gerrie Nel made much of this timing, saying Pistorius's team had needed a "fall-back position" after his poor performance giving evidence.

Some commentators say defence counsel Barry Roux erred in calling Vorster as a witness and introducing the diagnosis of generalised anxiety disorder at such a late stage in the trial.

The above from The Guardian blog...

At who's request ? Defence or prosecution ?

Prosecution.  Defence brought out a witness who suggested he may have been hyper alert and feeling especially vulnerable due to an anxiety disorder.

Prosecution jumped on it, pulled out several reasons why his behaviour is at odds with such a condition, and requested a full psychiatric evaluation.

Defence tried to reject this and asked to be able to call more witnesses.

Judge ruled psychiatric evaluation required.

Does look like they've had their bluff called.

• Upvote 2

Having read up a bit more on it, it certainly looks like Roux has blundered, with the best outcome for the defence being more mitigation on sentence for the culapble homicide charge. At worst we'll be seeing Oscar in 25 years.

In the long run there is a good lesson here for South Africa, if you are going to let fuckers wander around armed to the teeth then maybe make sure they are not as jumpy as a horse spotting a crisp packet.

Oh and lock the stumpy cunt up for life.

Is there anything he's said yet which he has been able to back-up?

Virtually all of it I've seen has just been at the level of my headmaster's office memories, circa 10 years old.

"Now then, did you steal the chocolates from Abigail's bag?"

"Omsch omsch omsch, mmm...chocolates?"

"You seem to have chocolate on your chin.  And on your fingers.  And round your mouth."

"It's dogshit.  I like it."

"Detention for the rest of the week."

"You're picking on me."

"Rest of the month?"

"I'm not saying I took them, but okay then."

Guest Pistonbroke

Having read up a bit more on it, it certainly looks like Roux has blundered, with the best outcome for the defence being more mitigation on sentence for the culapble homicide charge. At worst we'll be seeing Oscar in 25 years.

By which time he'll have had his arse amputated. 

• 1 month later...

Watching the Prosecution lawyer to date has been truly impressive; the way he's slowly tested each bit of evidence and systematically both unpicked the ever-changing story of Equal Opportunities Tackleberry, and sealed off his escape routes one by one.