You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Shaving Thread

Sugar Ape

When shaving, I...  

136 members have voted

1. 1. When shaving, I...

• Use a Bic/disposable
    • Use a cartridge razor, Mach 3, Fusion etc...
    • Use a Cut Throat Razor
    • Use a Double Edge Safety Razor
    • Maintain stubble
    • Leave a 'tache
    • Fuck shaving, I've got a beard.

You should deffo get one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edwin-Jagger-Chrome-Plated-Handle-Double-Edge/dp/B003UV8LR0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1383568101&sr=8-2&keywords=edwin+jagger+de89 they are a brilliant starter razor, real quality and it comes with 5 free blades for £20. Get the one in the link I've posted as well, that one comes with a lined handle, they do a version with a smooth handle which seems dangerous to me.

You should get a decent shaving cream and brush, this is the best cream I've found http://www.amazon.co.uk/Taylors-Street-Shaving-Cream-Sandalwood/dp/B0007MW2ZW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383568246&sr=8-1&keywords=taylors+of+old+bond+street and any Badger brush should do such as this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edwin-Jagger-Ivory-Coloured-Plastic-Shaving/dp/B003LW4NVG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1383568290&sr=8-2&keywords=badger+shaving+brush

I'd recommend watching these vids before you have a go. It's a bit nervy at first but once you get the hang of it you'll love it.

The fact you need a YouTube video to show you how to shave says it all

Beards are for proper men who don't need instructing.

Would you need instructions on how to fire a weapon of mass destruction? I think so. And that's what the double edged razor is. A monkey with a double edged razor would beat a bear with an electric beard trimmer every time.

You dirty hairy fucker.

• Upvote 2

Would you need instructions on how to fire a weapon of mass destruction? I think so. And that's what the double edged razor is. A monkey with a double edged razor would beat a bear with an electric beard trimmer every time.

You dirty hairy fucker.

Never needed instructions to fire my massive weapon of destruction. Ever.

• Upvote 1

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Right, I'm going to buy it. At the moment, I've got my beard on. I feel manly, in a Mountain Men kind of way, but itchy and not particularly clean. I'll report back on my manliness after I've used it. 

• Upvote 1

Not sure where I stand on this beard versus shaving debate as I both have a beard and shave, as I have a goatee. A full beard is not an option for me due to patchy bum fluff and I do enjoy the shaving with the brush whilst maintaining an epic goat. 

Rapey, do you think it's worth having the shaving bowl? I just use my left hand to get the lather going as the video I watched made the point that as your hand isn't smooth it helps cause friction and get air into the lather.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Right, I've not really had time to buy one of these yet. Just about to pull the trigger, though. Before I do, what do you make of the Parker 99R butterfly? Also, which blades do I go for?

I don't like butterfly razors. I have visions of opening it when I'm shaving by accident. I'd still get that Edwin Jagger one, if you want a bit of a better one then go for a Merkur, but the Jagger will do you fine.

As for blades, my preference is for the Merkur, but the Derby ones are fine as well and cheaper. Some people recommend the Feather blades as they are the sharpest, but I cut myself every time I use them. Very unforgiving blades. The Derby ones that come with the Jagger will be more than enough to get you started, and then you're best getting a selection of blades to try as different facial hair suits different blades.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Right, cheers mate. That's that in the basket. Getting some Taylor of Old Bond Street, too. Just need to choose a brush and we're golden.

Agree, don't really trust butterfly blades to be long lasting and not sure that they get a great shaving angle: Jagger's are good or the Merkur 34c is a great razor.

Blades - I like the Gillette 7 o'clock or Personna but I'd recommend getting one of the selection packs for under a tenner so you can try out a few

Brush - this guy sells quality brushes for way under what they cost from the standard vendors as he treats it more as a hobby  http://newforestbrushes.blogspot.hu/

Cream - loads of good stuff out there but Body Shop Macca Root is unbelievably good for the price

• Upvote 1

So I am trying (with very moderate success) at growing a mo for Movember, raising funds and awareness for men's health. This is something we are doing at our cricket club to raise money for both the cause and the club, culminating in a big fundraising dress-up party (70's theme) at the club at the end of the month. This tash-off is one of the highlights of the year, a cracking social night and a shitload of money is raised annually.

Here's the issue. My wife's best friend has her wedding on the 23rd, one week before the fundraiser. Neither my wife nor her friend want me to have a mo for the wedding, so I suggested a compromise and said I'll keep my beard too until the wedding is done and then shave down to a mo only for the final week. This friend did a pile of work helping us for our wedding last year (outside of the usual bridesmaid shite, that is), so I feel obliged to not make a huge deal out of it. They were ok with this beard compromise, but then yesterday my wife said that her and her mate will match any funds I raise for a mo up until the date of the wedding, then I have to go clean shaven, thereby sacrificing my hard-earned mo for extra dollars.

So do I go the beard/mo compromise and keep my tash for the fundraiser or do I cave in but make some more $$ for the cause? Help needed, ta!