You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Don't agree with that! I thought he was poor and off the pace.

Really?

He was in a dicsiplined role and did that job. Plus got an assist and did the cross for the Suarez disallowed goal.

To say he was poor, I find bizarre!

It is noticeable how Stevie has been a bit more hands-on as captain this season, and I would guess that this is because he is much more obviously the most senior regular in the side now. So many of his teammates are a lot younger than him, and several are very inexperienced, so he has had to become more hands-on through necessity. About 4-5 years ago, we had a number of players that were either the captain of their national side or the captain of their previous clubs, so the situation has changed quite a bit in that time.

Of course he did.

Dropping Gerrard at this point is a ridiculous suggestion. He is still the most threatening midfielder offensively by far. Sahin is being massively over rated by the rafanista crew who treat him as some sort of surrogate Alonso as they still cry wank when they see his face on tv, rocking back and forth murmuring 'xavi....xavi do nice long ball....has vision,......Gareth Barry sob...bad man ... sob.......' Possibly. Sahin being from Madrid and being Spanish is clouding their judgement. His contributions have been alright in Europe and he should improve but he should be behind Shelvey as well as Gerrard in the pecking order.

Gerrard's the best midfielder we have by far and it's only taking him for granted or a misconception he got Benitez the sack, rather than horrendous results and transfers, that is driving some people's agenda.

Support the club, life long players, supporter and captain, not ex employees.

He is Turkish.

Who gives a fuck where Sahin will play next season. Its this season we're talking about here. Groom Shelvey and play him more often.

I dont see anything that Gerrard can and will do much this season. He has lost it.

You are perfectly entitled to your opinion, I find it quite frankly ludicrous though. Gerrard is a once in a generation player and even next season; might not have the pace but will still have more talent than both Sahin and Shelvey put together, I rate Shelvey too! Sahin not so much.

I find it just incredulous that some forumites are ready to shove Gerrard on the scrap heap. All I can say it thank god you aren't the manager.

You are perfectly entitled to your opinion, I find it quite frankly ludicrous though. Gerrard is a once in a generation player and even next season; might not have the pace but will still have more talent than both Sahin and Shelvey put together, I rate Shelvey too! Sahin not so much.

I find it just incredulous that some forumites are ready to shove Gerrard on the scrap heap. All I can say it thank god you aren't the manager.

It is especially baffling given he has created the most chances for us this season. Only Suarez is close, the rest are miles behind. That is while he is playing in a disciplined role really.

Suarez and Gerrard are the two players who provide brilliance to win us games. They will give the ball away more than others as a result. But without those two we'd probably be in the relegation zone.

It is especially baffling given he has created the most chances for us this season. Only Suarez is close' date=' the rest are miles behind. That is while he is playing in a disciplined role really.

Suarez and Gerrard are the two players who provide brilliance to win us games. They will give the ball away more than others as a result. But without those two we'd probably be in the relegation zone.[/quote']

Completely agree mate, we must be watching a different game to Glock.

I absolutely love this passion. Hate the narrative of the article, but just love this.

Steven Gerrard has kept controversy simmering from the 219th Merseyside derby by labelling Everton a long-ball team similar to Stoke City and claiming Liverpool were the only side that tried to play football at Goodison Park.

Liverpool were incensed at being denied a legitimate stoppage-time winner in Sunday's 2-2 draw when Luis Suárez was incorrectly ruled offside as he converted a header from Sebastián Coates. David Moyes argued Suárez was lucky to have been on the pitch at that stage, having escaped with a yellow card for a dangerous challenge on Sylvain Distin.

Gerrard was on his knees celebrating in front of Liverpool's supporters by the time Suárez's effort was disallowed by the referee, Andre Marriner, following a flag from his assistant Simon Bennett, and the Liverpool captain could not hide his frustration as he criticised the match officials and his Everton counterpart, Phil Neville, for a ridiculous dive. The England captain also reserved his anger for Moyes' tactics.

"There was only one team who came into the derby trying to play football," said Gerrard. "Everton are effective because they have some big physical lads in the team and are very direct. They are effective. But the only team who tried to play football was us.

"Everton are not better than us. I thought we stood up to a team that are very similar to Stoke. Every single time they got the ball to their goalkeeper it came in long. We had a young, small team and they were all men and stood together. We deserved the win."

Gerrard's comments echo the post-match claims of the manager, Brendan Rodgers, who reverted to a 3‑5‑2 formation in the second half to combat Everton's aerial threat and to play on the counter-attack. Moyes' team dominated after conceding two early goals, though an injury to Kevin Mirallas reduced their threat and Liverpool almost capitalised in a nervous finale, and the match statistics do not support Gerrard's assessment. Everton enjoyed more possession than Liverpool (56.2% to 43.8%), made more passes (400 to 314), had greater passing accuracy (78.5% to 76.8%) and played proportionally fewer long passes (13.8% to 14.6%).

There was, however, no argument over the legitimacy of Suárez's late effort. Gerrard added: "There is no offside and it's difficult for me to explain it. The only person who can explain it is the linesman. I asked him after the game if it was offside and he said: 'I think so.' That's not good enough. If every decision in this league is based on 'we think so', then we're in trouble. The linesman got it badly wrong. The benefit of the doubt is supposed to go to the attacking player anyway. And for their second goal it's a clear throw-in to us. The linesman gives us the throw but the referee saw something different. I feel sorry for our lads because I thought we were fantastic and deserved to win."

The Liverpool captain claimed Neville had "badly let his manager down" by diving after Moyes had condemned Suárez for theatrics in the pre-match build-up. He said: "With what he said about Luis Suárez before, David Moyes was trying to get in the referee's head, which is fine, that's all part of the game, stuff like that, but you don't expect your captain to dive like that."

Gerrard did reserve praise for Raheem Sterling, Liverpool's 17-year-old winger, who overcame a difficult start to impress on his Merseyside derby debut. The Liverpool captain added: "Sterling has been a revelation for us. To be 17 years of age away in a derby, in a cauldron of an atmosphere against a big, physical long-ball team, I thought he was outstanding. I don't think the Everton players would have known too much about Raheem Sterling before Sunday. But I think they are going to be seeing an awful lot of him in the future. He is going to be playing in many, many Merseyside derbies. He is going to have a major impact in them.

"He is going to be one of the top players in the league, there's no doubt about it. The way he stands up for himself, wants the ball and doesn't hide. It's a credit to himself. He has some bottle. That's what you look for in young lads. You wonder whether they have the bottle to play away against tough teams in tough situations and he handled it superbly."

Steven Gerrard describes Everton as big, physical long-ball merchants | Football | The Guardian

He has made a tit of himself with some of those comments.After the Semi Final and the respect shown by the everton fans, and then their great touch for the Hillsboro familes at Woodison andfrom their fans at Leeds this Season, there has been a genuine cooling off of the billious,toxic atmosphere of recent Derbys.Sundays game was a great game( and I saw enough shitty 0-0 ones in the 70's to appreciate a good one when I see one),that most neutrals wouls call as a great competitive game -with a draw being the fair result.To compare them to Stoke is a puerile comment,that will only "stoke2 up bad feelings for the next Derby.Most football critics have been panning him,and us, all day over those daft comments.

• Downvote 1

He has made a tit of himself with some of those comments.After the Semi Final and the respect shown by the everton fans' date=' and then their great touch for the Hillsboro familes at Woodison andfrom their fans at Leeds this Season, there has been a genuine cooling off of the billious,toxic atmosphere of recent Derbys.Sundays game was a great game( and I saw enough shitty 0-0 ones in the 70's to appreciate a good one when I see one),that most neutrals wouls call as a great competitive game -with a draw being the fair result.To compare them to Stoke is a puerile comment,that will only "stoke2 up bad feelings for the next Derby.Most football critics have been panning him,and us, all day over those daft comments.[/quote']

Fine for Moyes to get the usual digs in about Suarez tho?

Fine for Moyes to get the usual digs in about Suarez tho?

And is it fine for our skipper to criticise theirs for a dive.He wants to have a think about himself before he opens that can of worms. My beef is that his comments were inflamatory and in no way correct about claiming we are currently a better side -and they play like Stoke.

Infantile,play ground stuff.

• Downvote 1

And is it fine for our skipper to criticise theirs for a dive.He wants to have a think about himself before he opens that can of worms. My beef is that his comments were inflamatory and in no way correct about claiming we are currently a better side -and they play like Stoke.

Infantile' date='play ground stuff.[/quote']

LFC can't seem to win, the team and/or players don't say something and we're spineless we do and it's inflammatory. Tbh I am beyond the point of caring anymore. Anything we do is meet with universal, over the too condemnation. Football is more of a soap opera now, it's ridiculous.

I like to add, Gerrard was probably having a dig because of Moyes comment. Tit for tat.

LFC can't seem to win, the team and/or players don't say something and we're spineless we do and it's inflammatory. Tbh I am beyond the point of caring anymore. Anything we do is meet with universal, over the too condemnation. Football is more of a soap opera now, it's ridiculous.

I like to add, Gerrard was probably having a dig because of Moyes comment. Tit for tat.

Agree with all that.

LFC can't seem to win' date=' the team and/or players don't say something and we're spineless we do and it's inflammatory. Tbh I am beyond the point of caring anymore. Anything we do is meet with universal, over the too condemnation. Football is more of a soap opera now, it's ridiculous.

I like to add, Gerrard was probably having a dig because of Moyes comment. Tit for tat.[/quote']

Hear hear. Respect to the Evertonians for their solidarity over Hillsborough, but beyond that they're still our rivals and our captain can take the piss if he wants - especially after the politicking of their manager prior to the game.

Taking the piss out of their style of football is hardly a major diplomatic incident.

Scruffy twats couldn't beat us despite their claims of a shift in power, a vastly more experienced team and a shit decision. After their arrogance before this game, I'm well up for the best footballer this city has produced in decades putting them in their place again.

Deffo not priory doctor, no way. Even without the resurfacing of the songs about his baby girl or the victims song I don't think he was out of order. Thank fuck someone is publicly standing up for us for once.

I for one hope it becomes a habit.

Fantastic stuff.

They are smelly cunts.

Some of the blues on my Facebook are absolutely frothing at the mouth about that interview. Which is great to see.

Re this new found solidarity with them, let's not forget the "baby's not yours" and "Murderers" chants which were loud and clear on sunday on my television.

They are fucking obsessed with us, I'm actually quite disturbed by the amount of time they devote to knowing everything about us and commenting on anything and everything we as a club do. We don't care what the redshite say? Oh please do us a favour and just fucking shut up about us and concentrate on your own team for once you obsessed cunts. They treat the derby like its the be all and end all of life. Unless we play them I have no desire to ever watch them, I vaguely know their first eleven yet they can tell you every random detail about our entire squad, how much they cost and how much they earn.

Some of the blues on my Facebook are absolutely frothing at the mouth about that interview. Which is great to see.

Re this new found solidarity with them, let's not forget the "baby's not yours" and "Murderers" chants which were loud and clear on sunday on my television.

My Facebook turns into blue kipper every time we lose, play them or one of our players gets involved in some controversial decision. Plus they are all super fans who go to every game despite finding the time to obsess over us and watch all our games.

Why should Sahin play instead of Gerrard? He's nowhere near as good, plus he can't actually run.

Dear me Glock, where are you copy and pasting your opinions from these days?

Tell me what has Gerrard done this season and last season? It is all going the Hyppia and Carragher route. Like it or not he is past it. Take a deep breath and accept it.

Whoever replaced Gerrard has a big job to do. No one going to be like Gerrard in the old days. Sahin was no where near Gerrard in his younger days but he plays intelligently, he has good positional sense and can also score. But he wont be here next season so he is not the one to replace Gerrard.

But fuck it, who is discussing about Gerrard replacement here? We're talking about Gerrard himself. He should sit on the bench and let others play. Plain and simple. You disagree? Tough.

I will say this the last time. You lot like it or not, not my problem. Gerrard is always a Legend for us. Always. No one is doubting that. No one. BUT that does not mean we cannot criticize his performance as a player. Prime example was Hyypia and Carragher. Look where Carra is now? Enjoying from the bench most of the time. Most of you lot thought he can and will still play regularly but that was not the case anymore.

The same goes to Gerrard. Whether we like it or not, he has lost it. He has lost his touch. He is a passenger in the team. Passenger in the team will make us a poor team. Poor team means finishing mid table or below. I can't accept mediocrity. Legend or not, slowly move him out. Club is bigger than anyone else.