You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Chief

If you use SD's example he would tell you to go and live in the country then. The broad minded liberal that he is.

That can't be the solution for everyone though and clearly I'm quite important.

If you use SD's example he would tell you to go and live in the country then. The broad minded liberal that he is.

:whatever:

Look, I'm just saying that pubs are a bit different since they are private property and you are technically a guest of the patron, and therefore it's really up to him/her (or at least was, pre-smoking ban) as to whether he or she would allow smoking or not.

I was more getting at the way you were supporting the smoking ban because you personally didn't like smoke. I think you start going down a very dangerous road if you begin to advocate bans on things just because you don't like them. That sort of thing is total anathema to my liberal mindset anyway.

Fucking hell if i could ban everything i don't like there'd be almost fuck all left! For a start the Premiership would consist of one team, there would never be a fucking female boss, (moaning twats). I'd better stop, i'll be here all night otherwise.

Look, I'm just saying that pubs are a bit different since they are private property and you are technically a guest of the patron, and therefore it's really up to him/her (or at least was, pre-smoking ban) as to whether he or she would allow smoking or not.

I take your point, but them same landlords have a duty to protect their employees and that includes ensuring that they're not exposed to second hand smoke.

I worked on ships for a few years, mostly out of the US and when I was there it never bothered me going outside for a smoke and it didn't make going out a less enjoyable experience so I can't see the problem with it.

Fucking hell if i could ban everything i don't like there'd be almost fuck all left! For a start the Premiership would consist of one team, there would never be a fucking female boss, (moaning twats). I'd better stop, i'll be here all night otherwise.

That would be one of the first things on my Agenda.

• 4 weeks later...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7090864.stm

and so it begins. Just like with the cigarettes, they start off with some outrageous bullshit mission statement like "it's to protect the barstaff, or it's to protect the children" backed up with some outrageous scaremonger stats, and they push for higher taxes and restrictions on advertising. All part of the process of demonising the product and it's users/smokers/drinkers.

Enjoy getting pissed whilst you can lads. The campaigners are coming.

How on earth will putting 10% on taxes save the lives they reckon it will? Where the fuck do they get these stats from? A poll of winos?

"Hey Mr.Wino, if your bottle of Thunderbird went up in price by 20p, would you stop drinking, get a job, join a gym, moisturise, cut bacon out of your diet, reduce your salt intake, eat five portions of fruit a day, avoid saturated fats, and get in touch with your feminine side?"

*puke*

"So that's a yes, then! Excellent. I'm going to my smoke free local to preach to someone"

I wish these cunts would fuck off and die.

the smoking ban reveals how shallow the libdems commitment is to civil liberties, you can only have liberties if they dont infringe some nanny state health agenda.

if they really believed in civil liberties like I do then they wouldn't give a toss what people inhale, where they inhale it and if businesses allow them to do it on their premesis.

it won't be long until they attack the following: salt (food manufacturers are already being pressured to lower salt levels in food based on dubious science), booze ('binge' drinking, they will want to tax/regulate turn us into a police state and issue on the spot fines etc) and foods deemed 'fatty' (already children are being subjected to being told what they can and cannot eat)

the smoking ban reveals how shallow the libdems commitment is to civil liberties, you can only have liberties if they dont infringe some nanny state health agenda.

There are liberal arguments in favour of the ban, you know. I mentioned the major one earlier in this thread.

Anyway, we'e not talking about that now, it's moved on to the proposed massive price hike on booze.

There are liberal arguments in favour of the ban, you know. I mentioned the major one earlier in this thread.

Anyway, we'e not talking about that now, it's moved on to the proposed massive price hike on booze.

The 'is it liberal' question really is saying 'what is more liberal: the freedom to smoke or the freedom to have a quiet pint in the pub without having tobacco smoke forced into your lungs'. It's not about being nannyish over the health of the smoker; it's about the people around them. And don't give me this 'go and get a job somewhere else' bullshit either. OK there are many jobs have occupational hazards but most of those hazards are unavoidable.

I think it's great. The best side effect is that a lot of 'casual' smokers have just given up - and are far happier as a result.

If I was in charge of the country, I would double the tax on booze, double the tax on fags, double the tax on petrol, and reduce income tax by the corresponding amount.

Binge drinking is as old as beer. It's utter fucking bollocks, but as Noos said, the agenda is now being pressed.

Labour can fuck off as far as I am concerned. If they had their way in a few years they would be prescribing our exact diet, the amount of exercise we do every day, the amount of sleep we have.

FUCK OFF! I am an individual, I will make my own fucking choices you bunch of moralising twats. Any sympathy I had in the past for the smoking ban has evaporated. I don't think smoking is a very good idea, but I think people should have the right to do it in places like pubs.

Bunch of boring cunts!

Why should a bunch of cunts that can't hold their beer dictate alcohol policy for the rest of the fucking country. How is putting tax up going to make one single fucking jot of difference. People with an alcohol problem see it as an essential, not a nice-to-have. They will still buy booze.

Reducing the availability of alcohol? What, like cocaine and cannabis you mean? I could get a bag of cocaine delivered to my office quicker than I could a fucking pizza round here.

All this end justifies the means bullshit from the pro-smoking lobby pisses me off too. "I quit smoking as a result and now I can bend over and touch my toes". Well bully for you Schadenfuck.

Guest PaddyBerger15

After careful research over a long period of time, I have come to the scientific conclusion that people that don't smoke are 85% more likely to have unacceptable levels of cuntishness.

It's fucking simple, how many people do you know who died of cancer because of SECONDARY smoking? My dad died of throat cancer, but he smoked twenty or thirty a day, of course i know other people who've died of cancer, but, they all smoked. My ex wife smoked all the way the pregnancy with my 2 lads and they're as healthy as anyone, (she's also got 2 girls from her second marriage, and they're healthy as well).

The people who make these surveys up can lie and make up what the fuck they want, who can prove them wrong? the latest one where they put all the surveys over the last, 20-30 years was it, together and came up with this big dossier that was so fucking full of shit, you could smell it a mile off. Stop eating Bacon! F R O, you veggie twats.

Like i and a few others have said they're blaming law abiding citizens for running the NHS down, when really it's the fucking bagheads and the like who are the real problem. All the shootings going on around the country are these being pepetrated by pissheads? No fucking way, after a night on the piss, if someone gave me a gun and said i can shoot who i want, i couldn't hit anyone, FFS most men can't even aim their dicks straight when they go the bog. It's all, when it comes down to it, about the easy option.

Like i said months ago, "let the smoking ban in and they'll try to ban everything they can.